Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:57:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Scammer Matthew N Wright wants to sue Theymos lulz!!!  (Read 5382 times)
El Cabron (OP)
Gnomo
VIP

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 07:50:27 PM

Scammer Matthew N Wright wants to sue Theymos   lulz!!!   Someone is butt hurt hard!

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1x0e28/request_for_information_for_lawsuit_against/

"Over a year ago, Theymos was advertising that the community needed a new forum software and everyone was excited. So excited that we agreed to donate to the cause for the betterment of the community. Since that time, the donations have been spent on everything but new forum software development, and now he has over 2000 5500 BTC that are used to pay moderators as well.

When asked about the new forum software, Theymos has blown it off saying he just doesn't have time. I donated 10 BTC under the specific impression it would be used for a specific purpose, which over a year later it has not. That is like donating to a very specific PETA campaign to save an animal rescue, finding out they didn't bother saving the rescue, and instead used the funds for buying bacon cheeseburgers. It's unlawful to say the least.

Since then, I have asked Theymos politely (on several occasions) to either refund the money that was donated for the specific cause, or to proceed with the new forum software. He responded by banning me from the forums for "trolling".

The forum has been hacked and brought down twice since then, and each time this issue is brought up and swept under the rug by the admin of both /r/Bitcoin and bitcointalk.org (Theymos himself).

I am requesting personal information on Michael Marquardt so that I can file my civil suit against him with as little delay as possible for the 10 BTC I feel he defrauded me of.

I have given him 6 months to do the right thing but I can wait no longer. Anyone else who feels the same and who has donated to the new "forum software" can join the lawsuit if they so wish.

Cheers!

Matthew"

The funny part is he thinks we will give the info on Theymos to him, ahahahahahahahaah! What a jackass.

If you found this to be lulz send some dust: 1MatthewNWrightisaScammer124DNsfX     Wink Grin Cool

Sorry El Cabron, you are banned from posting or sending personal messages on this forum.
Trolling
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=622250.msg7030081#msg7030081
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Kenshin

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 08:00:33 PM

Who the F ck is he?
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 08:07:35 PM

He wasn't banned for scamming, he was banned for being annoying.

Anyway, mod payments are taken from a portion of the advertising recieved, not donations, donators funds haven't been touched yet, however new forum software is in the works and has been for like a month now. I would giggle to no end if MNW actually went through with the frivolous lawsuit, and Theymos spent his 10 BTC donation for legal defense.
BldSwtTrs
Legendary

Activity: 861
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 08:12:42 PM

Who the F ck is he?

He scammed people on this forum about 5 times before getting perma banned. His biggest scam was something like 50,000 BTC
What was the 50kBTC scam?
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 08:15:44 PM

Who the F ck is he?

He scammed people on this forum about 5 times before getting perma banned. His biggest scam was something like 50,000 BTC

Yeah, I recall that 5000btc (or was it 10k?) bet he failed to pay up on...was there other stuff?

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
MTBmanTT

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

Bitcoin: The new Wild West

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 08:19:25 PM

Who the F ck is he?

Yeah, I recall that 5000btc (or was it 10k?) bet he failed to pay up on...was there other stuff?

wow Ive only heard of this name a few times, now I know- Ty

BTC: 15EsnLVpCqAKMC59hm5BUYvTLMWXxmwh2D http://scrypt.cc?ref=babi4 LTC: LYgXWLpzQUjWXAHtc7ouMbf83pBTPsGfVG
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 08:32:59 PM

This is rich. The scammer goat calling someone else a scammer. lol

At least MNW saw the error of his ways and apologized after that horrible bet he made.
I am not saying that makes it right but I think he did less harm to the community than goat
has done with his promotion of the ponzi scam he was a part of ( even though it wasn't
his scam ) even after it was clear to him that it was a ponzi.

I would stay well away from doing business with either person here.

That is all I will say, even though I am sure goat will have a lot more BS to spread...

Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 08:39:31 PM

Regardless of what he has done, he is correct, thousands of BTC were donated for new forum software. If it was me, I'd have made a new forum literally 20 times by now, I'd also have hired a team of world's best programmers to work on it with over a million dollars.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 08:53:17 PM

Regardless of what he has done, he is correct, thousands of BTC were donated for new forum software. If it was me, I'd have made a new forum literally 20 times by now, I'd also have hired a team of world's best programmers to work on it with over a million dollars.

Essentially.. in a nutshell.. that is perfectly correct.

That is why a lot of donations were given. The premise was to design new forum software. Obviously theymos decided it was not worth spending other people's
money on. It is more interesting to him to control the BTC then to spend it.
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 09:18:16 PM

Idiots "People" started desperately throwing their remaining life savings at MNW

Come on guys, let's stick to the facts. MNW didn't take a single satoshi in that awful bet. No Bitcoins transferred, no escrow. He lost the bet and didn't pay. That's it. He has debt (where a good part is resolved already, he says), but didn't scam anyone out of anything there.

That's not to say MNW isn't one of the more polarizing characters around here.
Nor is Goat.
On other topic, I find the abuse of the "Important Announcements" subforum annoying.

But then, it seems like Goat is is doing a Streisand maneuver here. Knowingly or unknowingly, whatever.

/popcorn

Ente
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 09:33:14 PM

MNW still owes me 100 BTC from his BS bet. So looks like he is not holding himself to his own standards of honesty. Epic fail.  Cheesy

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2014, 09:52:38 PM

Wow, Matthew never ceases to amaze me, he knows full well donations aren't used for mod payments, I used to like him but seeing him lie over and over again is sad.

@BadBear: We already confirmed from Theymos that donations are not used for paying mods. ...

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2014, 10:05:35 PM

I stand corrected. OK, IIRC some people were attempting to hedge their bet on Pirate by 'pledging' coins to MNW, and in the process they increased the amount they sent to Pirate, confident that someone of MNW's stature would definitely honour the debt.
It's quite likely that a lot of people who claimed to have invested with Pirate and gotten paid were just Pirate himself. Particularly in the early days, this would have boosted his credibility. Once he knew he was never going to pay out another dime, he has every incentive to have those shills sell the non-existent debt on the open market at a discount, to make even more money. MNW's bet made people more likely to believe Pirate would pay out, and thus allowed Pirate to sell these fake obligations for a higher price, taking more money from people. That is, MNW likely inadvertently helped Pirate prolong and increase his scam.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 10:07:22 PM

Drama queens.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 10:17:46 PM

I stand corrected. OK, IIRC some people were attempting to hedge their bet on Pirate by 'pledging' coins to MNW, and in the process they increased the amount they sent to Pirate, confident that someone of MNW's stature would definitely honour the debt.
It's quite likely that a lot of people who claimed to have invested with Pirate and gotten paid were just Pirate himself. Particularly in the early days, this would have boosted his credibility. Once he knew he was never going to pay out another dime, he has every incentive to have those shills sell the non-existent debt on the open market at a discount, to make even more money. MNW's bet made people more likely to believe Pirate would pay out, and thus allowed Pirate to sell these fake obligations for a higher price, taking more money from people. That is, MNW likely inadvertently helped Pirate prolong and increase his scam.

And so did Goat who posted something like:  I know what pirate's business model is and its legitimate.  This posting caused endless speculation about the business model, boosted Pirate's credibility, and (since the Goat had a Pirate pass through) may have resulted in profit for himself.

At the same time, it seems like Goat may have learned to watch his words more carefully (after all, its unclear whether casual statements made on an online forum are legally binding) whereas MNW seems unchanged and very clearly entered into bets with many individuals.

Yet... it seems to me that millions of dollars is much more than is needed for a forum overhaul.  You could fund an internet startup for years on that.  The honest thing to do would be to return a large fraction of the donations to the address that donated (and only to that address), if individuals can prove that they own the address and want a refund.  [We don't want the coins landing back in the Gox wallet!]
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2014, 10:29:32 PM

Butthurt idiot?
Sadly I'm not posting on reddit..
I'd send my own lawyer for Theymos. He would, of-course, laugh his ass off ,if I had told him about this case. Roll Eyes

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2014, 10:31:13 PM

MNW likely inadvertently helped Pirate prolong and increase his scam.
"inadvertently"   That is an interesting assumption.
You can imagine a continuum with him having no contact with Pirate or intent to raise the value of Pirate debt on one end all the way to him being a co-conspirator of Pirate's ... heck, you can go to him *being* Pirate. For what it's worth, I believe it was inadvertent.

But if we're going to cast blame on those who propped up Pirate's credibility and reputation while knowing (or not caring) that he was almost certainly a scammer, the list of people we have to indict is many, many pages long. Even if we only include the people who clearly personally benefited.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
bbulker

Activity: 124
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 10:54:32 PM

I'm impressed by that long vanity address 1MatthewNWrightisaScammer124DNsfX haha, wow. How long did that take to generate?
sgravina

Activity: 451
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 11:25:40 PM

I'm impressed by that long vanity address 1MatthewNWrightisaScammer124DNsfX haha, wow. How long did that take to generate?

That address is a string with a checksum that makes it possible for the standard bitcoin client to send bitcoins to it.  Like this one: 1BitcoinEaterAddressDontSendf59kuE  

Nobody generated a private key for that address.  Those coins in that address can never be spent.  Generating the private/public key pair takes time.  Generating a public key with a good checksum is easy.

Any coins sent there will be lost forever.

Here is another one: 1111111111111111111114oLvT2
bitminerinthecloud

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 11:48:08 PM

He is right with his claim. If the donations were intended to make a new software, then a new software for the forum is needed to happen or the money refunded.

But if goes to court, other people could try and sue him for the bitcoins for which he didn't not honour the bet. I don't know if this is a forceable thing to do. Most countries would not force him to pay.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: