Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 06:05:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thought experiment, DDOS attack  (Read 1367 times)
techstorm2 (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 09:24:31 PM

Hi All

Been thinking about possible risks to the bitcoin network and most people trump the 51% attack, although i think this is overstated.

What would happen in this scenario.

A concerted DDOS attack against all the major pools in the network, i could imagine NSA or other large organisation having the know how to coordinate this.

This would hit all the large pools Elegius, Ghash.io, btcguild, discus fish, slush, bitminter, deepbit, together these make up approx 90% of the network.

Would this reduce the hash rate enough to stop new blocks being found and undermine the strength of the network catastophically?

Undecided

Dime 7Q3cZtyJemmE8pJsrYgX24mHnkqZX6M6hP
BTC 18vbvovBeM5ZTZqR5ZWAy75EXE7qTNipuo
Mooncoin 2QgyivUMa7Zun6oPdxeE1yry1aNp5hqrDb
LTC Lg3UYGCAe3Tb146PiMqeGNLR7bnjdM447d
Doge DPd1XejW8TabJu5gfjyKnuQYQ9Vzw1anXN
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2014, 09:42:56 PM

In this scenario I reckon that altcoins would simply take over, you have to bear in mind whenever you think of this stuff that Bitcoin is open source, the code being duplicated is actually one of its good points which is why I suspect nobody has bothered trying anything yet, that isn't to say of course that it couldn't happen, it's just very unlikely that it will have any long term effect.
techstorm2 (OP)

Activity: 196

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 09:49:29 PM

I was thinking more of it happening in a couple of years when we have larger adoption and lots of merchants using btc, if an attack happened then, it would give crypto currencies across the board a massive PR nightmare.

i hope not anyway   Cheesy

Dime 7Q3cZtyJemmE8pJsrYgX24mHnkqZX6M6hP
BTC 18vbvovBeM5ZTZqR5ZWAy75EXE7qTNipuo
Mooncoin 2QgyivUMa7Zun6oPdxeE1yry1aNp5hqrDb
LTC Lg3UYGCAe3Tb146PiMqeGNLR7bnjdM447d
Doge DPd1XejW8TabJu5gfjyKnuQYQ9Vzw1anXN
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2014, 10:11:04 PM

To be honest I think if it happened in a couple of years it would be suicide because you'd have at least several hundred thousand angry people with lots of money and hacking knowledge that will either track them down or fry their PCs lol. In regards to the 51% attack, think of something like the Zombie apocalypse, it's one of those things that people scare themselves about so much that they get as much knowledge as they can on the subject so if it ever were to actually happen they'd just crush the problem extremely quickly.
Elions

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2014, 10:27:35 PM

I was thinking more of it happening in a couple of years when we have larger adoption and lots of merchants using btc, if an attack happened then, it would give crypto currencies across the board a massive PR nightmare.

i hope not anyway   Cheesy

Well, if there's a big acceptance of BTC by the time it ocurrs, there would be alternatives for people to go for. There would also be counter-measures against that sort of thing, I imagine (though I can't really concieve any, as i'm no expert on the matter myself)

And like Lethn said, there would be a buckload of very angry people that would track them down... And if they found them, they would be in HUGE trouble
gnode

Activity: 492
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 11:57:20 PM

Hi All

Been thinking about possible risks to the bitcoin network and most people trump the 51% attack, although i think this is overstated.

A concerted DDOS attack against all the major pools in the network, i could imagine NSA or other large organisation having the know how to coordinate this.

This would hit all the large pools Elegius, Ghash.io, btcguild, discus fish, slush, bitminter, deepbit, together these make up approx 90% of the network.

Would this reduce the hash rate enough to stop new blocks being found and undermine the strength of the network catastophically?

Undecided

Your thought experiment has already been done against some alt coins. The result is that such an attack is ineffective because the pools have ddos protection. If the attack is large the pools just buy more protection. DDOS is a thing of the past.
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2014, 02:15:45 AM

There are enough solo miners to sustain the network.

I think you'd see a drop in difficulty and total network hashpower but little more. Transactions would be unaffected.
jongameson

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 04:03:23 AM

I hope to gawrsh.  I wonder what altcoin the attacker is working for?  Bitbar?

Makes u think
R0yalAir

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 05:46:41 AM

in this scenario you should add CEX.IO also @OP

Morbo

Activity: 115
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 03:40:40 PM

Hi All

Undecided

Your thought experiment has already been done against some alt coins. The result is that such an attack is ineffective because the pools have ddos protection. If the attack is large the pools just buy more protection. DDOS is a thing of the past.

DDOS protection is snake oil. It's just a new service that's being advertised with purpose to be sold for profit to computer illiterate customers. Just like antiviruses.

http://drunkyoda.tk/ - Bitcoin blog by newbie for newbies (no ads, no reflinks, no donation begging)
leannemckim46

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 12:06:34 PM

Hi All

Undecided

Most major pool are protected from DDOS.!!

██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
RISE
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1042

Death to enemies!

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 12:37:25 PM
Last edit: February 11, 2014, 12:48:47 PM by MysteryMiner

Undecided

No. The difficulty can drop only after 2016 blocks and if DDoS attacker reduces network hash rate he will need to wait much longer than 2 week average for adjustment to take place. Meanwhile he will need to maintain DDoS for more than month. And reduced actual hash rate does not make network less secure because the attacker still need to overcome original difficulty to do 51% attack.

DDoS against pools is good to do following things:
1. Reduce rate of block creation and confirmations take much longer.
2. Price drops as people who are in bitcoin for pure speculation start panic sell.

And Bitcoin will quickly recover as soon as DDoS is over. And maintaining weeks of DDoS against several targets when the targets are smart and try to cope with that might be problematic even for NSA. They probably will do it in different way like disrupting critical network infrastructure points by router backdoors or 0-day exploits against operating systems.
In this scenario I reckon that altcoins would simply take over
Seriously? Scamcoins with 1/100 of Bitcoin network hashing power and size? I think the altcoins are permanently under attack then. And not by NSA but Thomas Nasikomo like coders with too many spare time and ability to modify some parts of Bitcoin sourcecode. And the IXCoin was not so scammy like some of the other altcoins.
The result is that such an attack is ineffective because the pools have ddos protection. If the attack is large the pools just buy more protection. DDOS is a thing of the past.
You cannot have protection against nuke. DDoS is like nuke, if You are hiding in bunker it is only question to get bigger nuke.
DDOS protection is snake oil. It's just a new service that's being advertised with purpose to be sold for profit to computer illiterate customers. Just like antiviruses.
This.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 01:04:47 PM

Nobody can DDOS that many pools over a longer period of time, especially since good pools now have DDOS protection.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
knightcoin

Activity: 238

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 01:16:44 PM

Nobody can DDOS that many pools over a longer period of time, especially since good pools now have DDOS protection.

Very true, kind of a nice Load Balance such as A10 AX Series that implements a series of specialized programmable ASICs to offload attack detection and prevention functions Smiley .. just lite propaganda Grin

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: