Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 07:28:02 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: When will some Alt\crap coin just die?  (Read 1118 times)
gleydson (OP)

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 10:15:56 PM

I was just wondering when some of the hundreds of alt\crap coins we have today simply die.. you know disappear?

I mean i know this is part of the cryptocurrency evolution, but there are just so many copies of copies of other copies that becoming hard to keep track of anything these days, we are in february and there at least 20 new coins..

And at least 19 of then have no other purpose other pump and dump.. so the dev can make some extra cash.. I mean some 15 years old in argentina paying some dev in India to create a coin and just dump all of it as soon it hits any exchange, and abandom the coin and do the same a few week later with a new user name and coin coin..

I dont have the knowledge or the time to put up a list but would be great if some senior member steped up and created a list of coins that should just die.. after all most all these coins only damage the coins with a actual purpose and market.

What about some professional vetting service? what about a website for the elite coins to promote each other?

Maybe when people stop buying into these bullshit coins that are nothing more than get rich scheme, then maybe just maybe the real cryptocurrency market will grow mature a bit.. ( with all these crap coins out of the way the top 20 coins should have a larger market share\cap) and when new to cryto dont laugh the ass off when they hear some of the name of coins we have today.. you know which coins im talking about..

Dont get me wrong there must be new coins.. but with new coins there also should be inovation, new technology, faster more secure you know.. just better than the 100plus coins we already have..

Or maybe im just talking nonsense.. and we should have another 500 pump and dump coin launch this year.  Grin

What do you guys think??

anderl

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 10:19:10 PM

alt coins don't die they just fade away

ledmaniak

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 10:20:49 PM

Crapcoins are more like a random ponzi scheme right? Price fluctuation as an added bonus and last one in looses! Grin

Bitcoin: 1Cxi8BLvScSm1mW6kjb5MNeJZPrvAiYL6B
Litecoin: LLmjtrrq1ZeD51NSUJ8VanuQduW8Ma3jrs
gleydson (OP)

Activity: 64

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 10:31:21 PM

alt coins don't die they just fade away

I know they dont die.. but if 1 coin were dropped from all exchanges.. that coin would fade way very quickly.. some of then deserve to fade.. right?

sakkosekk

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 10:36:44 PM

Crapcoins are more like a random ponzi scheme right? Price fluctuation as an added bonus and last one in looses! Grin

How is it a ponzi? A Ponzi scheme is a fraudulent investment operation that pays returns to its investors from existing capital or new capital paid by new investors, rather than from profit earned by the individual or organization running the operation. - from wikipedia

They can all be pump and dumps or "scams" for all I care, but they are far from a ponzi scheme.
davidpbrown

Activity: 531
Merit: 260

Vires in Numeris

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2014, 10:42:18 PM

Two thoughts. One is that the next influx of noobs will look at the price and be less cavalier in their investing in alt-coins. Also, perhaps the freedom to choose random other coins for no good reason, is a strength. Bitcoin is a ledger of transactions and if some industry or some random group of people wanted another coin, then they can have that.

I suspect it's unlikely that simple copycoins will ever be equals but those offering a different perspective on energy useage for example, or on ethics might do well. So, PPC for energy perhaps; Friecoin or another similar incarnation for Islamic banking; etc. NMC and DVC could take off in a big way, if the find support. LTC I think will fade relative to BTC but still be larger than today, as it'll feed off noobs that haven't seen hype and don't understand pump and dump coins loose them money.

฿://12vxXHdmurFP3tpPk7bt6YrM3XPiftA82s
sakkosekk

Activity: 224

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 10:54:39 PM

Two thoughts. One is that the next influx of noobs will look at the price and be less cavalier in their investing in alt-coins. Also, perhaps the freedom to choose random other coins for no good reason, is a strength. Bitcoin is a ledger of transactions and if some industry or some random group of people wanted another coin, then they can have that.

I suspect it's unlikely that simple copycoins will ever be equals but those offering a different perspective on energy useage for example, or on ethics might do well. So, PPC for energy perhaps; Friecoin or another similar incarnation for Islamic banking; etc. NMC and DVC could take off in a big way, if the find support. LTC I think will fade relative to BTC but still be larger than today, as it'll feed off noobs that haven't seen hype and don't understand pump and dump coins loose them money.

As long as altcoins diversify themselves as you say they stand a chance of survival. And it does not have to be diversification in the code or tech-aspects of  the coin - newbies or non-tech people couldn't care less what algo is used as long as it is safe. And if the coin has fast transactions and is easy to use it could be a winner. After all, it is our belief in a currency that makes it a currency.
dadon
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1002

Pecvniate obedivnt omnia.

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2014, 01:16:37 AM

doge does because it's going to leave a lot of people out of pocket, and a lot of people jaded at crypto's, that's why i hate it, die doge die, invest in cryptocommodity's from now on to store your wealth, there are so many crypto"currency's" but not many crypto"commodity's" im talking bitgem, diamond, cryptogenic bullion, bitbar, protoshares, these have gone under the radar and these are what people should be buying, they are the equivalent of gold and silver, but digital, it's an obvious choice
achillez

Activity: 874
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 01:38:45 AM

doge does because it's going to leave a lot of people out of pocket, and a lot of people jaded at crypto's, that's why i hate it, die doge die, invest in cryptocommodity's from now on to store your wealth, there are so many crypto"currency's" but not many crypto"commodity's" im talking bitgem, diamond, cryptogenic bullion, bitbar, protoshares, these have gone under the radar and these are what people should be buying, they are the equivalent of gold and silver, but digital, it's an obvious choice

amen - btw I have a solution to eliminate useless altcoins. Stay tuned - or msg me if you're a developer
dadon
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1002

Pecvniate obedivnt omnia.

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2014, 01:46:32 AM

i'm not but i hope you have the antidote, this shit is ridiculous, pm anytime u want, i will be glad to hear your strategy 
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2014, 03:07:07 AM

Look at the difficulty/hashrate.

Even litecoin is weak, any coin so weak that an internet meme can conjure up enough hashrate to PWN it overnight is way too insecure to store money in.

So basically all the scrypt coins are garbage, with litecoin and DOGE mostly serving to demonstrate just how pathetic they all are...

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 08:18:01 AM

Doge sickened me so bad i quit this shit scene..

i wanna smash assholes with a bat when i go to random web sites and see some dick posting "Dogecoin rulez the world" or what ever..

but hey if they all want to embarrass themselves and act like babies then go for it.

i really enjoy ALL those gay little cryptsy tweets with "much yes" etc in them too ..real fucking professional cryptsy :/
never mind adding half the stupid scamcoins in the first places.. jeez

i hope you all enjoy the raw hate your breeding and the greed that will engulf you all soon enough..
i have long given up trying to convince Exchange staff, pool operators and coin cloners and their users to smarten up..
they are scummy little dicks that i hope and pray to god feel karma's wrath with a severe vengeance Smiley
all of them are about as classy as a pedophile .

FUD first & ask questions later™
Monetizer

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 09:04:18 AM

Alt currencies will probably be around for a long time... All people want is to make money of the next crapcoin...
larem

Activity: 350

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 09:05:29 AM

Look at the difficulty/hashrate.

Even litecoin is weak, any coin so weak that an internet meme can conjure up enough hashrate to PWN it overnight is way too insecure to store money in.

So basically all the scrypt coins are garbage, with litecoin and DOGE mostly serving to demonstrate just how pathetic they all are...

-MarkM-

This made me laugh, and I'm really not sure if that's a good thing or a bad one, o.o.

Slingshot

Activity: 616

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 10:43:45 AM

Re: When will some Alt\crap coin just die?

When fools wake up and realize that their not cracked up to the task at hand. And that most are not
all the things their claimed to be.

From 2014 to 2016 these types slowly fade away. But at times it will be a violent downward trend,
with counter-up trends too, on the way to slow, painful deaths.

Not all is as it seems. And not all is as it's claimed to be.

2014 is the year that this all is Rushed to The Mainstream.

And it's truly Winner(s) take almost the entire marketplace. That is for those that get there first!

With latecomers finding that it will be highly unlikely to make any traction hardly at all, simply because
their too late to the party. I

t's the first to the first to the market network effect that will dictate most if not all the winners in this
race to the mainstream adoption event. Or at least that would rationally seem to be the case from a
historical viewpoint.

The first winner is Bitcoin.

There wont be a giant list of winners after it. Instead it's extremely likely that almost all the others will
very likely fade away.

And even some of the best one's wont make it, simply because their going to be too late to gain any
major marketplace support. Or because their too flawed. Or a combination of things. Many still
can't even get their community wide acts together, at all. That's already a major disappointment.

Most here today will find to their utter disgust that they backed at least some of the wrong Crypto's.

Do your own Due Diligence.

And don't ever stop questioning your findings. Plus always verify anyone Else's claims and statements
 if it's your own funds riding on the outcome. Otherwise one is simply a gambling fool.

Caveat emptor - let the buyer beware!
baka

Activity: 196

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 11:04:06 AM

Why don't they die? Lots of bag holders trying to move coins and exchanges willing to do the moving for a fee, and deluded miners hoping for an epic pump and dump on their "pump and dump" coin.

ShareCoin Free and Fair Distribution. Sc8XY5PmHK1NJ2DNvJhS82AQVFwMGimX8w
SeriousCoins14

Activity: 154

Coinoholic

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 11:29:27 AM

Every single new product on earth gets cloned to betsy. As a matter of fact, if Bitcoin were the only option - there would be little community growth. It would take the average Joe years to mine one bitcoin, and they will walk because of it. At that point people might as well just spend cash online. What fun is there spending ~$800 on 1 bitcoin to then transfer it over to a website to purchase goods when you can just send them your $800 for the good/service. Alt coins are an alternative for the people who want to join in on the fun, and maybe get a free chunk of bitcoin for playing the game. You shouldn't be ranting and raving about X Y Z coin.

Perhaps your issue is that people are assigning real value to these "kiddie coins" via exchanges. Maybe that does make bitcoin look bad, maybe it doesn't. I think in the long run it brings more attention (thus greater market cap) to the major coins.

Anybody trading in alt coins such as doge should be fully aware of the extreme volatility. There's no saying that Doge isn't going to drop to 1 satoshi by tonight. There is great risk for anything carrying a great reward.

Let the boys be boys. It's in the peoples hands now. Your trash is another persons treasure. Maybe you really like Primecoin because its innovative, others hate it. Maybe you like Doge because it's fun to mine, others hate it.

I have a stash of Bottlecaps.. Why? Because I love fallout 3, And it's awesome having a wallet full of useless/clone bottlecaps because it makes me happy. If people want to trade them, so be it. If somebody assigns value to my bottle cap collection that they are willing to pay to obtain them, awesome!

I do agree however that there are just plain silly coins coming out which I won't name. Be that as it may, scroll through the announcement sections for the really dumb coins weeks/months later.. They have no network hash, no trade value, etc.

People will mine / buy what they choose to mine or buy. If you get involved in a pump and dump scam coin.. lol "you got trolled", this happens in the real world every day outside of crypto coins.

Alas, I don't really track my coins per monetary value. I enjoy having coins, mining them, and trading back and forth to see how big I can make my wallets. I probably only have 2-3 btc worth of coin and never once made a "cash out".. I suppose taking a big loss doesn't bother me at all. So for the people using this as a real monetary investment, I can see the danger -- But as said previously.. "Caveat Emptor"

XBC BTUCL6SoNCMYmvmY7tJ33EdtdvyNL4wdhr
Molitor

Activity: 70

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 10:55:48 PM

When will altcoins die?

That's like asking when will people stop collecting vintage autos, boxed Star Wars figures, and pogs.
hammo

Activity: 493

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 12:16:44 AM

While there is money invested they'll continue to hang around like a bleeding chicken. That is untill the blood run out, the thing isn't going to stop.

I like the idea on restricted trading exchanges, but it seems the more coins on offer the money the exchanges to make on transaction fees.
tk808
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1124

Invest in your knowledge

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 12:22:16 AM

Several shitcoins are already dead. And this will continue.

There will soon be a steep buy-in for all alt-coins in the top 30 or so.

On another note, the amount of coins is dwindling. The ones that are making it right now have some improvements and actually took work to put together instead of the shit from coingen.io
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: