Bitcoin Forum
September 24, 2024, 09:44:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Publicly trading my company with Bitcoin?  (Read 707 times)
nerd_co (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 11:10:36 PM

Hey guys, I'm on a disposable since I don't want the company to be public info yet.

Basically I am a bitcoiner since early 2013, I fell in love with the entire concept after reading up on it. I am a co-founder of a web-based startup.

Some company info:
We are in a relatively small market (although it's growing fast) and we're easily the 2nd largest company doing what we do, debatable the biggest.
We have 4 staff, none of whom are full-time right now since we lack the funding.
We are in a growth industry (a rapidly growing section of online gaming).
We have over 100,000 users
We plan to begin monetizing this year, although we do make small income already.
We currently run at a small profit although it would be a reasonably big loss if we were taking salaries.
According to our business plans which we've gone through with some well-qualified other startup founders we will be profitable by year 3 including all expenses excluding tax.

What's the idea?:
We've been hunting around for investment for around 6 months now and despite several nibbles we are yet to get what we want ($250,000) for 20-30% share of the company. I listen to a lot of podcasts and read up on many bitcoin forums and have often heard about how bitcoin can potentially revolutionize publicly traded companies, stock markets, and crowd-funding.

My question to the wise people on this forum is this:

Would it be possible to give out shares for my company publicly with bitcoin for 20-30% of the company?
What would the legal ramifications be (in for example the USA, UK or the EU)?
Do you think this would likely work or is bitcoin still too young?

We would of course publish all of our finances prior to going public and work to act responsibly and be accountable for the money that was invested in us, but this idea has excited me for some time. It's only when I discussed it with the other co-founders that they suggested maybe we could be the first company to do it?
cubicdissection

Activity: 231
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2014, 12:24:36 AM

Disclaimer: I'm not a pro and barely grasp this 2.0 platform stuff myself, but...

...I believe that the counterparty (XCP) protocol is the only one that has a functioning exchange at the moment.  Others (colored coin, mastercoin) are still in development.

Here's press release: http://www.sbwire.com/press-releases/counterparty-xcp-distributed-exchange-goes-live-on-bitcoin-network-454221.htm

The Devs in this thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=395761.0 seem extremely skilled and dedicated.  They'd probably love to hear from you.

nerd_co (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 02:10:34 AM

Thanks for the links, they were super useful, I'll certainly dive into this a little deeper, I'd heard of XCP quite a bit over the past few weeks but this is the first time I've stopped to read up.

Looks incredibly interesting. Smiley
BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 02:37:18 AM

In related "news"   coindesk is conducting a poll right now on weather or not people have or dont have issues getting money out of gox ... check it out  http://www.coindesk.com/poll-mt-gox-withdrawal-issues/

I don't understand the dislike some people have if someone want to convert their bitcoins or some of their bitcoins back to fiat.  Everyone own personal situation is different and in an era where very few places or things can be paid with bitcoin, it's not surprising that there are going to be people who need money for things so they cash out some of their bitcoin profits (or losses). 

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: