Bitcoin Forum
September 01, 2024, 12:41:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Merchant Solution? Alternatives to Bitpay CoinBase, CoinPayment, etc?  (Read 2221 times)
TonyJ23 (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 11:19:47 PM

Hello. I am a somewhat newbie to Bitcoin but I own a few ecommerce sites selling various products. My suppliers in Asia are willing to accept BTC/LTC as a method of payment

I am using open source shopping carts but then using a 3 party processor in my Merchant Account (for accepting Visa, etc). I then have to get another processor (Coinbase, Bitpay, CoinPayments, etc) to accept crypto payments for good. Basically looking for something that will allow customer to checkout thru a IE Magento shopping cart and allow them to pay me directly. Basically Bitpay but without the Bitpay Smiley

My question to the community is there a Open source plugin that will work with Magento, OSC, etc that will allow me to accept Crypto payments WITHOUT going thru one of the companies above?

Crypto currency are suppose to be the "Currency/Payment Tool of the People" but there are only 3rd party companies solving simple community needs that makes buying on a ecommerce site simple and easy! Has anyone built or building a solution like this? If so, Please Let me know And please send me the sites so I can see how it looks from the front end
olsn

Activity: 55

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 06:40:49 PM

I'm on your side with this, there should be a solution without bitpay ect...

BUT...there are some issues:
- As a merchant you are very unlikely to run your own bitcoind on an additional server, but that'd be exchactly what you'd have to do to automate those payment processes.
A solution to this without hosting your own bitcoind, would be to utilize some other open bitcoind, possibly from blockchain.info.
But then again: Many eCommerce-Sites are PHP based on managed systems -> no websockets on pretty much all php webhosting-systems, but I'd say you need to be able to run a websocket to make transactions smooth and get notified when a transaction is done ect... it could be done with a php-script that is called once every second or so... but for a programmer's heart, that is pain!! Cheesy

Making transactions for a user is easy, but automate the payment system on the other side is not so trivial, technically it is no big challenge, but for most php-hosted shops it'd probably be too much overhead.
Just my two cents on this, but I'm sure there are many smarter guys running around that can also give some insight why this hasn't been done before (or maybe it has?)
TonyJ23 (OP)

Activity: 11

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 11:41:42 PM

From a cost perspective, how much would it cost the merchant to have this solution on there side?

I dont know much about the backend side since I have always used a 3rd party hosted cart and recently switched to Magento.

It appears that it could be built off a Blackchain.info API which will communicate exchange rates and verify transactions.

Anyone also do you know someone who can build a similar solution.
olsn

Activity: 55

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 09:11:43 AM

I just stumbled upon this: http://bitfreak.info/?page=tools&t=bitsci
They utilize the blockchain.info APIs, however from what I could see, this seems to query the payment status once every x seconds from the client-side, which ... works ... but is not ideal, since there can go stuff wrong, for example if the client closes the browser, for whatever reason, but paid...

Cost-wise: If you have your own hosted solution, you're not really looking at more server-cost than you already have, however you'd have to pay once for the development and the integration. If you only have one domain and do not process more than 300k$/Month in BTC-Sales, you are probably way better of with Bitpay, which is 30$ / Month. Plus with Bitpay you have the option to get the payout in FIAT. (I'm in NO way affiliated with Bitpay, this is my honest opinion)
-> I cannot really give any advice without knowing any numbers(which you shouldn't share here Wink) but it mostly depends on your monthly BTC volume, if the 30$ account works for you, I'd say stick with BitPay for now.

I do work like that and I could build such a solution for you, or integrate an available solution like the one mentioned above.
So if you are still interested or just look for further advice, feel free to contact me via PM.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: