Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 06:03:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the ERC20 smart contact an advantage over bitcoin ?  (Read 137 times)
BTC.Turtle (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 11:17:57 AM

I read somewhere of an idea to Create an ICO of an ERC20 token on Ethereum called Bitcoin, with 21M supply, is it actually possible ?
MadGamer
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1031

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 03:23:12 PM
Last edit: June 19, 2018, 03:49:53 PM by MadGamer

It's more then possible, It's under development already. We've multiple projects that could make this possible. Rootstock, Drivechains and MAST.

If developers deliver what promised, I can't see anyone using Ethereum in the next 5-10 years.
DooMAD
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 3160

Leave no FUD unchallenged

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 03:36:09 PM

If smart contracts start to become a major selling point, Bitcoin can simply implement them on another layer.  But for now, all people seem capable of doing with ERC20 is churning out a bunch of worthless crapcoins.  Not exactly a feature I'd like to see duplicated in Bitcoin.  People need to learn how to use smart contracts to create something useful before it's worth expending any large quantity of development talent on supporting them in BTC.  When more sensible and legitimate applications become common for them, perhaps people might start to care about it a bit more.  Until then, I don't think we're missing much.  The demand isn't really there right now.
thesmallgod

Activity: 1498
Merit: 129

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 03:44:24 PM

If smart contracts start to become a major selling point, Bitcoin can simply implement them on another layer.  But for now, all people seem capable of doing with ERC20 is churning out a bunch of worthless crapcoins.  Not exactly a feature I'd like to see duplicated in Bitcoin.  People need to learn how to use smart contracts to create something useful before it's worth expending any large quantity of development talent on supporting them in BTC.  When more sensible and legitimate applications become common for smart contracts, perhaps people might start to care about it a bit more.
many project using blockchain technology seems to be abusing this smart contract feature. nearly all ico whitepaper objectives are subject around this feature. However I still believe we shall still see some more intelligent project that will actualy bring more hit to ERC 20 smart contract. I read about VelixID project. they are creating an identity managment data base using smart contract features of ethereum. I am looking forward to see how well the project goes.
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 04:57:08 AM

I read somewhere of an idea to Create an ICO of an ERC20 token on Ethereum called Bitcoin, with 21M supply, is it actually possible ?

of course it is possible. bitcoin is not a trademark belonging to some company which can sue you for abusing its name! so you can abuse it anytime you want but the community is wiser than that. they realize it will be a shitcoin. and it has already happened multiple times because people don't realize that it is not the name, nor the supply that makes bitcoin good. but it is the whole system, being decentralized, having  limited supply, being safe, having no issues, being easy to use, ....

will a token have any advantage over bitcoin? the answer is LOL. a token is virtual thing that is relying on another platform to function! if that platform goes down or has bugs (which ETH has lots of them) that token will also be affected and there is nothing you (or the token owner/developer) can do about it! bitcoin is a stand alone currency that relies on nothing else but itself.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
mmo4me.2016

Activity: 812
Merit: 256

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 05:24:53 AM

ERC20 smart contact an advantage over bitcoin! But Bitcoin was born before and is recognized as a system, ETH and ERC20 smart contact replacing bitcoin need more time! Currently, Bitcoin is still No. 1
treatWy

Activity: 308
Merit: 5

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 05:35:16 AM

I guess what you had heard was wrong, maybe you are referring to bitcoin can be in myetherwallet. Therefore if I'm not mistaken you are talking about the upgrading of bitcoin to land into erc-20.

▬▬ ●   P A R Q   ● ▬▬ A GREEN, SMART AND CONNECTED CITY PLATFORM
● ▬▬▬▬▬  ●  ▬▬▬ ● https://www.parqtoken.com ● ▬▬▬  ●  ▬▬▬▬▬ ●
trangprooss1

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 05, 2018, 09:10:57 AM

The ERC20 platform makes it easier to create tokens than the BTC platform. So ICOS is always based on ERC20
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: