Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 05:02:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lamassu vending machine  (Read 1250 times)
2tights (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

I like big BITS and I cannot lie.

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2014, 02:25:00 AM
Last edit: February 05, 2014, 07:16:38 AM by 2tights

https://lamassu.is

I'm thinking of buying one of these. Ive got a spot I could set it up, and I'm wondering what you think of the idea..

I could set it in up in my home town, which is subsequently an international air and sea port.
www.thelandingmall.com is a stones throw from the ferry terminal to Victoria which is where I plan to place it.

I have this idea that Vancouver island will come to use it, as well as the greater Seattle area. Or maybe they wouldn't want to endure the short drive.. Thoughts? What do you all think the demand will be for atm access?
adamselene

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 03:00:20 AM

Can't speak to how it will do in your area, but I used the prototype version at Liberty Forum 2013 and it was literally the easiest and fastest way I've ever bought BTC. If you believe that there will soon be a large demand for BeeTeeCees in the near future and you have a nice piece of real estate to plop it down on, then maybe it'll be worth it.
2tights (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2014, 03:32:41 AM

Can't speak to how it will do in your area, but I used the prototype version at Liberty Forum 2013 and it was literally the easiest and fastest way I've ever bought BTC. If you believe that there will soon be a large demand for BeeTeeCees in the near future and you have a nice piece of real estate to plop it down on, then maybe it'll be worth it.

Thanks for your response
seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 04:11:46 AM

Please stop using the word "ATM" for something that is not.

Its a vending machine. And yes its a great start for ppl to BUY bitcoins online.

Now for ppl to sell bitcoins to fiat requires another whole level of licensing.
2tights (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2014, 07:17:28 AM

Its a vending machine. And yes its a great start for ppl to BUY bitcoins online.

Yes, you're right and I stand corrected. It's an important distinction to make.
seriouscoin

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 08:03:21 AM

Now that you're aware. I would say the machine is too small to be safe. Its made of plastic i believe.

There is an opensource vending machine thats coming in near future. You can build a metal shelf or built-in safe for $1000 + cost of hardware (Android tablet + RPi + Money receiver ).

Limassu only has advantage of a proven software backend. They should really just sell that instead.
adub

Activity: 171
Merit: 100

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2014, 12:30:58 PM

Now that you're aware. I would say the machine is too small to be safe. Its made of plastic i believe.

There is an opensource vending machine thats coming in near future. You can build a metal shelf or built-in safe for $1000 + cost of hardware (Android tablet + RPi + Money receiver ).

Limassu only has advantage of a proven software backend. They should really just sell that instead.

The Lamassu is not plastic, that was the prototype. The real thing is 110lbs of steel with another vault of hardened steel inside. Anyone who thinks it's going to be easy walking off with this is going to be surprised. Imagine trying to run off with a 110lb laser printer? Also, any reasonable operator is going to put these on a stand that is bolted to the ground like an ATM. Getting it open isn't going to be easy either. This is one tough mofo.

I'm seeing a bit of bad advise and uneducated opinions around the Bitcoin ATM/Kiosk subject. As someone who has been studying this market segment for 6 months, and a serious entrepreneur in the space,  I consider myself to be a leading expert. If anyone has questions about being an operator, the technology/devices that are available today, and legal/regulatory requirements in the US, please reach out and I will freely share what I know.

blog.atlantabitcoin.com || www.linkedin.com/in/atlantabitcoin
Ask me about how to legally operate Bitcoin ATM/Kiosks in the US!
Curious about how the various Bitcoin ATMs measure up? Check out bitcoinatmsales.com.
Bitrated: https://www.bitrated.com/aawilliams/
seriouscoin

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 02:56:14 PM

The Lamassu is not plastic, that was the prototype. The real thing is 110lbs of steel with another vault of hardened steel inside. Anyone who thinks it's going to be easy walking off with this is going to be surprised. Imagine trying to run off with a 110lb laser printer? Also, any reasonable operator is going to put these on a stand that is bolted to the ground like an ATM. Getting it open isn't going to be easy either. This is one tough mofo.

I'm seeing a bit of bad advise and uneducated opinions around the Bitcoin ATM/Kiosk subject. As someone who has been studying this market segment for 6 months, and a serious entrepreneur in the space,  I consider myself to be a leading expert. If anyone has questions about being an operator, the technology/devices that are available today, and legal/regulatory requirements in the US, please reach out and I will freely share what I know.

Uneducated opinions? I was right about the plastic because so far i can only see the prototype thro media. Where is the "real thing" when media was talking about it?
As for the Size, it IS SMALL (which makes it easier to carry) compared to real Vending or ATM machines. 110lbs in that size can be grabbed and thrown into a shopping carts!

Anything else i said that wasnt correct?  Get off your high horse! i laugh at your socalled bitcoin foundation member.....
2tights (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2014, 03:19:35 PM

I'm seeing a bit of bad advise and uneducated opinions around the Bitcoin ATM/Kiosk subject. As someone who has been studying this market segment for 6 months, and a serious entrepreneur in the space,  I consider myself to be a leading expert. If anyone has questions about being an operator, the technology/devices that are available today, and legal/regulatory requirements in the US, please reach out and I will freely share what I know.

Uneducated opinions? I was right about the plastic because so far i can only see the prototype thro media. Where is the "real thing" when media was talking about it?
As for the Size, it IS SMALL (which makes it easier to carry) compared to real Vending or ATM machines. 110lbs in that size can be grabbed and thrown into a shopping carts!

Anything else i said that wasnt correct?  Get off your high horse! i laugh at your socalled bitcoin foundation member.....

bTW - I checked again and even their website refers to their product as an ATM. Just wanted to point that out.
2tights (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2014, 03:21:14 PM

If youre the *ucking resident expert, then pipe up and speak to the purpose of this thread that I have requested which is input, not bickering about stupid shit like weight. I'm wanting to talk about the bigger ideas here.
adub

Activity: 171
Merit: 100

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2014, 03:54:43 PM

If youre the *ucking resident expert, then pipe up and speak to the purpose of this thread that I have requested which is input, not bickering about stupid shit like weight. I'm wanting to talk about the bigger ideas here.

You're right, I don't want to bicker and excuse my frank comments about the quality of information I see floating around. My offer stands to share what I've learned freely with those who reach out to me (by that I mean PM or email).

blog.atlantabitcoin.com || www.linkedin.com/in/atlantabitcoin
Ask me about how to legally operate Bitcoin ATM/Kiosks in the US!
Curious about how the various Bitcoin ATMs measure up? Check out bitcoinatmsales.com.
Bitrated: https://www.bitrated.com/aawilliams/
vabtc

Activity: 55
Merit: 4

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 04:05:19 PM

I can vouch for adub's knowledge and first mover(USA) status here...I am also waiting in line for a Lamassu and researching how it will work IRL.

I think it all depends on the state of the online exchanges in the future. If they still suck, then these will make a lot of sense.

These vending machines will make sense in areas where AML/KYC/BSA regulations aren't as tight or become clearer, that's why we don't have any installed in USA yet. I'm thinking it will be a good way to get <$1000 worth of bitcoin on the spot, but not ideal for dropping 40K into, although i suppose it's possible. I think it's too early to call for Seattle, to be honest, but in Canada you should be good to go, research what the Robocoin guys did and emulate that.  good luck!

seriouscoin

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 04:40:46 PM

bTW - I checked again and even their website refers to their product as an ATM. Just wanted to point that out.

It doesnt matter if they call it ATM, its functionality is still a vending machine. Can you withdraw cash from it? NO.
yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 04:54:47 PM

It doesnt matter if they call it ATM, its functionality is still a vending machine. Can you withdraw cash from it? NO.

Terminology is not essential here. It's cool enough if it lets you buy bitcoin easily. If things work out well for bitcoin, nobody will do any conversion back to fiat in the future.

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
seriouscoin

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 05:06:03 PM

Terminology is not essential here. It's cool enough if it lets you buy bitcoin easily. If things work out well for bitcoin, nobody will do any conversion back to fiat in the future.

ya.ya.yo!

Its actually important for many new ppl who come to bitcoin. When they hear the term ATM, i'm sure they would think they can deposit/withdraw funds with bitcoin.

2tights (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2014, 07:19:02 PM

You're right, I don't want to bicker and excuse my frank comments about the quality of information I see floating around. My offer stands to share what I've learned freely with those who reach out to me (by that I mean PM or email).

Yes, this is great! I look forward to speaking with you.
2tights (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2014, 07:20:48 PM

I can vouch for adub's knowledge and first mover(USA) status here...I am also waiting in line for a Lamassu and researching how it will work IRL.

I think it all depends on the state of the online exchanges in the future. If they still suck, then these will make a lot of sense.

These vending machines will make sense in areas where AML/KYC/BSA regulations aren't as tight or become clearer, that's why we don't have any installed in USA yet. I'm thinking it will be a good way to get <$1000 worth of bitcoin on the spot, but not ideal for dropping 40K into, although i suppose it's possible. I think it's too early to call for Seattle, to be honest, but in Canada you should be good to go, research what the Robocoin guys did and emulate that.  good luck!

Yes, I've followed the story and, yeah, I'm trying to learn from others and see if this is a feasible opportunity.
Troya

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 03:40:30 PM

Look at this. A Bitcoin ATM for only 799 Euro:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/paybitcoin-the-first-low-cost-bitcoin-atm
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: