Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 05:45:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why has investment from China stalled?  (Read 1213 times)
rebel24 (OP)

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 02:44:19 AM

I know there were those recent events in China trying to hold bitcoin back..  but I feel like there's SO much chinese money that wants to escape and flee into bitcoin (because of no good investments there, etc),

I'm just surprised that it has stalled, considering it poured around $8 BILLION into Bitcoin over the course of just 2 months and coming out of nowhere!

There were some strong uptrends- each time ending with China giving some kind of "bad" news and stopping bitcoins momentum(temporarily)

But now it has been a week or 2,
I'm trying to keep my ear to the ground for the next big rush --- there is volume there but price isn't moving, so this is indicative of about equal buying and selling going on, so what do you guys think is going on behind the scenes over there? (or the Chinese citizens and investors' mentality)

Also does anyone know about other countries that are really starting to rise on the horizon yet? (though I doubt many besides China and India will have the tremendous market moving power that these guys do)
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2014, 02:58:56 AM

I know there were those recent events in China trying to hold bitcoin back..  but I feel like there's SO much chinese money that wants to escape and flee into bitcoin (because of no good investments there, etc),

I'm just surprised that it has stalled, considering it poured around $8 BILLION into Bitcoin over the course of just 2 months and coming out of nowhere!

There were some strong uptrends- each time ending with China giving some kind of "bad" news and stopping bitcoins momentum(temporarily)

I'm trying to keep my ear to the ground for the next big rush --- there is volume there but price isn't moving, so this is indicative of about equal buying and selling going on, so what do you guys think is going on behind the scenes over there? (or the Chinese citizens and investors' mentality)

Also does anyone know about other countries that are really starting to rise on the horizon yet? (though I doubt many besides China and India will have the tremendous market moving power that these guys do)

Canada and Singapore.  ATMs are going to be huge.

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
TERA

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 04:22:18 AM
Last edit: February 05, 2014, 04:36:24 AM by TERA

China has a craze for gambling and alt currencies in general - it is a trillion dollar market there. They were never really big techie bit coin geek bulls. When the slightest hint of trouble occurred they moved onto the next thing and forgot all about bitcoin. Probably back to BANs (bank notes).

Easy come easy go.
coinpharmer

Activity: 84

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 04:47:56 AM

China has a craze for gambling and alt currencies in general - it is a trillion dollar market there. They were never really big techie bit coin geek bulls. When the slightest hint of trouble occurred they moved onto the next thing and forgot all about bitcoin. Probably back to BANs (bank notes).

Easy come easy go.

do you think they have moved on or do you think they are waiting until feb8 (soonest new money could be on exchanges)?

I guess there are likely a million and one ways to "strike it rich" and bitcoin is only one in a sea of neon signs. with that perspective a lot of people would understandably move along quickly..
TERA

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 04:53:55 AM

I gander its a combination of both. No way to tell how much. But keep in mind that the Chinese have always had access via huobi so BTCChina is not groundbreaking news.
rebel24 (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 05:13:02 AM

Easy come easy go.

do you think they have moved on or do you think they are waiting until feb8 (soonest new money could be on exchanges)?

I guess there are likely a million and one ways to "strike it rich" and bitcoin is only one in a sea of neon signs. with that perspective a lot of people would understandably move along quickly..

I beg to disagree with the 2nd part of your statement. In China they have HARDLY any good investments to invest in. Their real estate is in a a bubble, their stock market is full of corruption/false reporting/manipulation, and the people aren't allowed to move money out of china by by any significant size (wires of more than $500 are a pain in the ass- coming from a real life friend who worked there for 2 years teaching english, and moreso- you simply cant wire more than $50k out per year).

Bitcoin and digital currencies are a BOON for the chinese. Easy enough to buy there, and MASSIVE returns. Hell its massive returns for us here in the US and we have even a pretty damn good real estate market to invest in right now(especially in certain parts of the nation like Phoenix, AZ)- even here in the US I say digital currencies are still a far better investment--

personally, it would seem very predictable that its only a matter of time until the next massive leg up led by China and perhaps India or another country with lots of money to spend. China can do what it will to try to stop it, but in the end, even if they made it illegal, I don't think they could stop it (the same way they can't really censor the internet- people will get around it if they want to - and they will want to, more and more as time goes on)
coinpharmer

Activity: 84

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 05:19:07 AM

Easy come easy go.

I beg to disagree with the 2nd part of your statement. In China they have HARDLY any good investments to invest in. Their real estate is in a a bubble, their stock market is full of corruption/false reporting/manipulation, and the people aren't allowed to move money out of china by by any significant size (wires of more than $500 are a pain in the ass- coming from a real life friend who worked there for 2 years teaching english, and moreso- you simply cant wire more than $50k out per year).

Bitcoin and digital currencies are a BOON for the chinese. Easy enough to buy there, and MASSIVE returns. Hell its massive returns for us here in the US and we have even a pretty damn good real estate market to invest in right now(especially in certain parts of the nation like Phoenix, AZ)- even here in the US I say digital currencies are still a far better investment--

personally, it would seem very predictable that its only a matter of time until the next massive leg up led by China and perhaps India or another country with lots of money to spend. China can do what it will to try to stop it, but in the end, even if they made it illegal, I don't think they could stop it (the same way they can't really censor the internet- people will get around it if they want to - and they will want to, more and more as time goes on)

I have a facebook account for spreading the word of bitcoin and I friend people from all over the world, and I see TONS of other people doing the exact same thing I am for whatever idea they are preaching. I feel bitcoin is nothing like those other "scams" but im sure those other people feel their product is no scam but that bitcoin scam is clearly a way to lose your savings.
glendall
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1018

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 06:40:05 AM

The government is the answer to your question.

With bitcoin, it is incredibly easy to get your money out of the yuan and into other markets, or other physical locations in the world.  The Chinese gov sees this, and is locking it down, in an effort to prevent their rich from moving money out of the country and into other assets.

The yuan, just like the USD and most other currencies around the world are in very, very dangerous territory as the house of cards they have been built on is going to collapse, this is unavoidable.  When the collapse comes, people will be exchanging fiat currencies for anything other than fiat currencies.

Basically bitcoin's success would be success for the citizens, not for the elites in charge, so they trying their best to shut it down out of reasonable self-interest.

The Chinese, as a people, I believe would be the world's greatest proponents and champions of bitcoin. (Why? Because they are notoriously good at saving. They also hate getting boned by fees more than most. I have made respect for the majority of stores in my city's Chinatown because they do not accept credit cards because of how much a rip off they are for transactions. That is awesome. What other cultures have done that? )

.SUGAR.
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
███████████████████████████
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
██████               ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
Mulder

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 08:17:55 AM

It's still Spring festival time so everything remains shutdown.  People will start returning to work and things will start getting back to normal next week.

Their real estate is in a a bubble, their stock market is full of corruption/false reporting/manipulation

Corruption/false reporting/manipulation - this is how the Chinese people I know describe bitcoin.
Siegfried

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 09:21:56 AM

I have convinced several Chinese people to invest in bitcoin in the past few weeks alone, and several more are seriously considering it.
rebel24 (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 05:09:18 PM

It's still Spring festival time so everything remains shutdown.  People will start returning to work and things will start getting back to normal next week.

Their real estate is in a a bubble, their stock market is full of corruption/false reporting/manipulation

Corruption/false reporting/manipulation - this is how the Chinese people I know describe bitcoin.

quite different that their stock market, ask them about their stock market(or ask chinese people who live there)-- when you can't even get accurate numbers on financial statement thats a BIG disincentive to invest in their stock market
BTC2DAMOON

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 08:28:20 AM

Chinese people are focused on their families at this time so I wouldn't expect much this week.

I'm anticipating some in flow of investment after the long holiday but it might be slow because there's still some concern that the PRC will crack down again.  If we can make it another 2-3 months from now with no further actions from the PRC then things could get very interesting.  BTC China's new maker-taker policy is a good idea and will work well in this scenario. 

I'm am American guy working in Beijing so will do my best to let you know if I hear anything.  I have an account with BTC China funded via China Merchant Bank.
GigaCoin

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

Giga

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 08:40:05 AM

chinese holiday atm

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: