Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:05:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Airdrop analysis - Spot a SCAM from a mile away!  (Read 218 times)
Retty (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 47

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 04:11:54 PM
Merited by NadiaHel (1)

Hi everyone,

What i am saying here might be basic to some of us, however, everyday i see more and more newbies on here, so i think its relevant to mention. Not only that, its also a little heads up to some of us who might be set in our own ways. Not only that, you'll probably have noticed that some of these scammers are starting to get a little more sophisticated. So we all need to be careful really.

Airdrop analysis

I don't know about yourselves, but my twitter feed is inundated with Airdrop offers/promotions, luckily enough for me i can usually spot a bad one ASAP- and lets face it- there's plenty of them!  Roll Eyes

To separate the good from the crap, I use a basic rule of thumb:

• Good English. Poorly written English is one of the biggest giveaways of a scam Airdrop. I'm not being judgemental here- it's a fact! If you are an ambitious start-up business, then surely you'd outsource such a vital task to someone who can provide professionalism to your project. I also understand that we have people from all over the world here, so they may fall victim to these scams because of the language barrier.
  • No website. I might have missed the boat on a few good airdrops for following this- who knows? But i use it as a guide. If they don't have even a basic website they are full of crap and won't be around for long. Just my opinion though
  • How long have they been posting. Again, this is just a quick check, have a quick flick through their posting history. So they've only been posting a few days- great- MOVE ON! 99% chance its just another bullshitter looking to try and blag some ETH from you.
  • Due Diligence. Probably the most important part. If you're going to sign up and give away some of your sensitive information to an unknown, isn't it worth just checking that this project/these people, are actually real? Google is your best friend, check for reddit, steemit, medium posts about their business. Check to see if trustworthy people have gave any positive feedback anywhere. This only takes seconds so its worth doing.

Friendly reminder

Just please be aware of all of these supposed Airdrops. You'll be wasting your time with a LOT of them who'll never even make it out of their supposed 'ICO'. Just protect yourself by getting a new Email address which is ONLY for your crypto stuff and use passwords that you don't use elsewhere.
These scammers are a little more savvy these days, so we all need to be on our guard to protect ourselves, fellow users and the crypto community.

Feel free to add anything here that others may find useful.

Thanks for reading.  Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NadiaHel

Activity: 336
Merit: 203

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 04:55:20 PM

<...>

Also, if you see on their website those typical "too-beautiful" faces, taken from some random other website, and also the typical commentaries below as:
"It changed my life" (along a picture of a good-looking fella), or,
"I didn`t believe this at first, but it is real" (the same a picture of a random-generic-good-looking fella).

Just RUN. The most beauty the people looks on an ICO website, the most probability of a scam.
True story jajajaja.  Tongue

... for instance:

Look at those commentaries"!! There are just soooo realistic!!! Look at their common faces, all with selfies in their facebook profile, as all the people always do. Behold! They are just talking if the ICO is real!! sharing their experiences!!! I`m convinced!!  Grin Grin Grin
DdmrDdmr
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 10758

There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2018, 05:36:40 PM

<...>
Fake identities are behind many ICO Scams. You can use tools such as Reverse Photos (https://reverse.photos) to detect cases such as these. For example, I just captured the first lass from your image (Charlotte Cox), and even with the bad image quality, I managed to get at least six more identities associated to the same exact photograph:

Never judge an ICO/Airdrop by the looks … Scamland is just a few clicks away ...

NadiaHel

Activity: 336
Merit: 203

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 05:51:23 PM

<...<

jajajaja in fact!!! those are so unreal that I can`t understand how people buy it!!
But, sadly, is common to see how many people fall into those shameless scams, despite the fake they appears.
EVER-TOKEN
Copper Member

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 12:25:29 AM

Hi everyone,

What i am saying here might be basic to some of us, however, everyday i see more and more newbies on here, so i think its relevant to mention. Not only that, its also a little heads up to some of us who might be set in our own ways. Not only that, you'll probably have noticed that some of these scammers are starting to get a little more sophisticated. So we all need to be careful really.

Airdrop analysis

I don't know about yourselves, but my twitter feed is inundated with Airdrop offers/promotions, luckily enough for me i can usually spot a bad one ASAP- and lets face it- there's plenty of them!  Roll Eyes

• Good English. Poorly written English is one of the biggest giveaways of a scam Airdrop. I'm not being judgemental here- it's a fact! If you are an ambitious start-up business, then surely you'd outsource such a vital task to someone who can provide professionalism to your project. I also understand that we have people from all over the world here, so they may fall victim to these scams because of the language barrier.
  • No website. I might have missed the boat on a few good airdrops for following this- who knows? But i use it as a guide. If they don't have even a basic website they are full of crap and won't be around for long. Just my opinion though
  • How long have they been posting. Again, this is just a quick check, have a quick flick through their posting history. So they've only been posting a few days- great- MOVE ON! 99% chance its just another bullshitter looking to try and blag some ETH from you.
  • Due Diligence. Probably the most important part. If you're going to sign up and give away some of your sensitive information to an unknown, isn't it worth just checking that this project/these people, are actually real? Google is your best friend, check for reddit, steemit, medium posts about their business. Check to see if trustworthy people have gave any positive feedback anywhere. This only takes seconds so its worth doing.

Friendly reminder

Just please be aware of all of these supposed Airdrops. You'll be wasting your time with a LOT of them who'll never even make it out of their supposed 'ICO'. Just protect yourself by getting a new Email address which is ONLY for your crypto stuff and use passwords that you don't use elsewhere.
These scammers are a little more savvy these days, so we all need to be on our guard to protect ourselves, fellow users and the crypto community.

I don't think poor writing is a clear cut indication that the airdrop or project is bad. For for people, their native language is not English. Also, some project will have few post but they go straight to ICO and Airdrops, I know of one that will Airdrop you 10,000 token immediately, for just joining their telegram channel.
TRAN TRIN

Activity: 30

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 12:30:10 AM

I agree to that mate! Some airdrops only have twitter and telegram account but doest have thier own website. That the main info zi check before joining them.
Dani4tech

Activity: 77

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 12:33:05 AM

Hi everyone,

Airdrop analysis

Friendly reminder

I don't think poor writing is a clear cut indication that the airdrop or project is bad. For for people, their native language is not English. Also, some project will have few post but they go straight to ICO and Airdrops, I know of one that will Airdrop you 10,000 token immediately, for just joining their telegram channel.
Can you help with the Airdrop link?? Grin Thanks
EVER-TOKEN
Copper Member

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 12:39:49 AM

The project's official website and telegram links are:

https://e-ver.io/

https://t.me/everify

You will get 10,000 token immediately you join the telegram group and you get 500 tokens (i think) for every invites you make, that joins. They still new and the airdrop will last till end of june.
Dani4tech

Activity: 77

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 12:43:46 AM

The project's official website and telegram links are:

https://e-ver.io/

https://t.me/everify

You will get 10,000 token immediately you join the telegram group and you get 500 tokens (i think) for every invites you make, that joins. They still new and the airdrop will last till end of june.
Is this your token??  Huh
EVER-TOKEN
Copper Member

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 12:52:54 AM

There is nothing wrong to support a project. have you take a look at their website and have you check if they actually have a project or an Airdrop?
biggNY

Activity: 126
Merit: 2

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 06:00:21 PM

I like your write up, it made me realize what I‘ve done wrong with airdrops I signed up for. When I think back how much info I gave away just ton-get to their useless coin... anyway, what I wanted to ask you, mybe you came across this as it seems like you know your stuff, I noticed in my MEW i received airdrop from project called McFly that I never signed up for and even MEW highlited it as SPAM. So here’s my question, do you think I put my wallet in danger when I move those tokens? Did you ever hear about this kind of spam? Thanks

★ PRiVCY ➢ Own Your Privacy! ➢ Best privacy crypto-market! ★
✈✈✈[PoW/PoS]✅[Tor]✅[Airdrop]✈✈✈ (https://privcy.io/)
kuilopp

Activity: 55

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 06:20:47 PM

You should also be wary of airdrop in which they promise to give you token that are already listed, sometimes in the bounty section there are those kind of airdrop where they promise you an already listed tokens with little information and ask you to follow a twitter or facebook or telegram account which are in fact not the official token account.
gawer33

Activity: 309
Merit: 5

View Profile
June 21, 2018, 03:23:24 PM

I disagree with "How long have they been posting" just remember one of the highest airdrop this year came from a newbie at that time https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2778273.0 it gave 222,222 HYDRO (I'm one of the beneficiaries Grin)  which 3000 USD at peak now it's worth 717 USD still a lot of money for a free sign up. Unless the airdrop is asking for money/ crypto, it asking too much work or will link you to a phishing site for me it's worth a try.

hydro/BTC
https://mercatox.com/exchange/HYDRO/BTC

STOP eating Oreo save the orangutans
https://www.orangutan.org.au/about-orangutans/orangutan-threats/
iagyei259

Activity: 150
Merit: 2

View Profile
June 21, 2018, 09:23:41 PM

An airdrop that requires you to input your private key of your wallet or lead you to a phishing website is an indications of a scam project
Korkorjkk

Activity: 546
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2018, 09:19:02 AM

An aidrop that requires you to enter your private key is definitely a scam project and you have to run away from them. Aidrops don't give a lot of returns so if it will cost you the coins you already have, then you better stay away from them.

inding

Activity: 91

View Profile
June 22, 2018, 09:31:32 AM

An airdrop that requires you to input your private key of your wallet or lead you to a phishing website is an indications of a scam project
An airdrop that requires you to input your private key. Can such project deceive people? If who doesn't keep private keys cautious, who is not suitable for playing cryptocurrency games.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: