Bitcoin Forum
July 05, 2024, 03:41:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: question regarding source code & dev  (Read 458 times)
ajmcello (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 05:56:37 AM

My previous question was regarding starting your own coin, but that didn't seem to get anywhere. I was able to download the code off of github and get it compiled within an hour, minus some libboost issues. I see that testnet is used to mine or otherwise test coins and hardware and has been reset twice. I believe -gen may be related to -testnet? Is it possible to reset and generate your own coins using the main network and not testnet? I know the answer is yes but I don't see any instructions on how to do this. If someone could let me know either publicly or privately I would appreciate.

Thank you.

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4410
Merit: 3062

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 06:34:40 AM

The main network can never be reset (for obvious reasons), and mining on the main network works exactly as the same way as testnet except for the much higher difficulty. You can use the -gen option to mine on the main network, but since it's a CPU solo miner, it will likely take decades to find a block at the current difficulty. This option only exists for testing purposes and is obsolete for real mining.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
ajmcello (OP)

Merit: 0

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 07:14:55 AM

I was interested in started my own network, a P2P, like the -testnet but as the main net. It would be on a different port and the client would be associated and updated with that port. So that was why I asked if there was a way to reset it and not have it it connect to the actual bitcoin network. I tried to experiment, but each test resulted in massive amount of blockchain data from inception. Hehe.

It should be possible but I'm wondering if it involves massive amounts of coding, or is it just undocumented features?

apxu

Activity: 229
Merit: 13

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 02:01:39 PM

1) remove checkpoint-code from sources
2) use different port number
3) take genesis block from blk0000.dat
4) start two instances
5) profit! you are owner of bitcoin-network Smiley
ajmcello (OP)