Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 07:19:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How can I help? (UK)  (Read 1116 times)
runam0k (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 11:09:39 AM

In short, I've become very interested in Bitcoin and its enormous potential. I am a lawyer in the UK and I would like to get involved and provide assistance where I can (i.e. dedicate some of my spare time to research and providing advice on a pro bono basis).

Are there any groups in the UK I should contact (Bitcoin Foundation, for example, has some UK based members but no UK chapter as far as I am aware) or any other avenues I should be looking at?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 11:19:44 AM

I would suggest putting an [ANN] in the services sub-forum. Sure there will be people in UK queuing up for free advice from a real lawyer Smiley
hashnash

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2014, 12:01:36 PM

You might want to check out Ethereum as well. Their project gives rise to a sort of crypto legal system.

http://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/101/digital-common-law
raskul

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 12:04:57 PM

you should MOST DEFINITELY steer clear of internet forums  Kiss
stick to accepting payment for your services. You will find an awful lot of 'interent formus' sufferers seeking your help, and trust me, it's a mad-house.

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 12:26:42 PM

you should MOST DEFINITELY steer clear of internet forums  Kiss
stick to accepting payment for your services. You will find an awful lot of 'interent formus' sufferers seeking your help, and trust me, it's a mad-house.

I think he's mature enough to make his own mind up whether he wants to work pro-bono or not.
TheFootMan

Activity: 490

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 01:25:06 PM

This is a great initiative unam0k.

Perhaps some general research in terms of running an exchange in the UK, and how to go about it would be a good start.

It seems like red tape is a showstopper for many trying to start such a business.
TookDk
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1062

One coin to rule them all

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2014, 01:29:34 PM

I think it is a great initiative runam0k, one thing bitcoin need to solve on the med-long basis is to get away from being the "wild wild west", legal security is definitely needed.
Let me know if there is anything I can contribute with, my experience is mainly in mining hardware (both scrypt and SHA-256 development).

Cryptography is one of the few things you can truly trust.
WompRat

Activity: 232
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 02:00:25 PM

In short, I've become very interested in Bitcoin and its enormous potential. I am a lawyer in the UK and I would like to get involved and provide assistance where I can (i.e. dedicate some of my spare time to research and providing advice on a pro bono basis).

Are there any groups in the UK I should contact (Bitcoin Foundation, for example, has some UK based members but no UK chapter as far as I am aware) or any other avenues I should be looking at?

I would offer some help to those ATM guys.  They plan to launch 2 way bitcoin cash machines which are really going to push existing laws to the limit in my opinion.  I would hate to see the ATMs launch and then be immediately withdrawn.  
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2014, 08:13:39 PM

You could take on the mess at Mt. Gox. Mt. Gox, which is a Bitcoin exchange in Tokyo, holds customer funds, acting as both broker and exchange.  Mt. Gox is believed to hold tens of millions of dollars in customer funds.  Withdrawing customer funds from them has been difficult to impossible since June of 2013. In June, they ceased most US dollar withdrawals.  Then euro withdrawals started to be delayed. Now Bitcoin withdrawals are delayed as well. Currently, the discussion boards indicate that only small withdrawals are processed. Mt. Gox is believed to hold tens of millions of dollars in customer funds.

The physical location and principals of Mt. Gox are known. They are incorporated in Japan (as "Tibanne"). They do not appear to be registered with the Japan Financial Services Agency, which regulates banks, brokers, and payment service companies in Japan. The JSA has authority over them and can inspect and audit them, and take enforcement action if necessary, but has not yet done so.

A useful thing you can do is to find out exactly how the JSA can be brought into action here. It may be that some UK agency needs to be involved first. In the US, the US SEC and the JSA have a formal cooperation agreement, and there's probably something similar in place in the UK.
blackhatzw

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 07:51:05 AM

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: