Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:13:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Resetter RF: a new device that keeps your rigs online. Beta test coming soon!  (Read 200 times)
Coinfarm ventures (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 152

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 04:03:34 AM

Hello miners, my name is Hammereditor and I'm from Coinfarm Ventures.

In January I started my own mining farm with 200 video cards. The only problem: the warehouse was 100 miles or 2-3 hours away in another state. We just couldn't get a reasonable electric rate here in Long Island. At first it was a nightmare: I had to use expensive Wi-Fi smart outlets and deal with offline rigs. Every single week I had to visit the facility.

I bet many of you struggle with rig crashes, blackouts and GPU stalls. Not just large miners, but small hobbyists too. Until I crafted a little rig resetter for way cheaper than Wi-Fi outlets or smart PDUs. It solved 90% of crashes, eliminated most lost profit, and saved me countless hours of traveling to the warehouse.

Now I'm turning it into an actual full-featured product that's built from the ground up with only one purpose: reduce mining-related downtime. However, I first need to know how many miners need or want Resetter RF and whether it's useful or not.

You can help by taking the market survey, which is 14 questions and < 5 minutes long. If you're located in the U.S. or Canada only, you have a chance to take part in the closed beta test 3 weeks from now and try out a prototype of Resetter RF for free for around a month. 10 beta units will be handed out. If you're not in those countries, though, you can still submit the survey, then PM me a request to participate.

In the future there will be support for international outlets (EU, AU, UK) and the control panel will be upgraded over time, but we're sticking to the basic features for now. The more interest there is in this, the more I'll discuss in this thread. That's all! Any questions or suggestions?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rpstatic

Activity: 53
Merit: 7

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 05:29:25 AM

I bet many of you struggle with rig crashes, blackouts and GPU stalls.

Yes, many crashes and blues screens until I realized that the GPU was damaged.

What does your device and how does it work? If I understood you correctly, it restarts the server and mining software? I would appreciate to see some photos of the device.
ay-x

Activity: 153
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 08:37:10 AM

in the event of a power failure (as soon as electricity comes in the bios setting)
does the system automatically shut down during system shutdowns?
did you develop an electrical outlet? I did not fully understand
Coinfarm ventures (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 04:27:24 PM
Last edit: June 20, 2018, 04:48:39 PM by Coinfarm ventures

Yes, many crashes and blues screens until I realized that the GPU was damaged.

Resetter RF isn't the solution to all rig crashes, but it'll prevent occasional random hangs, the rig getting stuck offline after a power failure, and freezes while changing OC settings or algorithms.

What does your device and how does it work? If I understood you correctly, it restarts the server and mining software? I would appreciate to see some photos of the device.

Sorry about the lack of diagrams and pictures; the project has just started 2 weeks ago.

Very early prototype of the RRF hub:

Example of mining rigs connected to the outlets:

What I did here is power the MOBO with a 400w ATX PSU and power the video cards with a HP server supply. The ATX's power goes through the RF outlet and is switched.
The device doesn't restart the Claymore software, it just hard reboots the machine (or whatever PSU's it's connected to). If the OS and/or Claymore are already frozen, a hard reset is the only solution.

P.S.: the current US outlets support 240 volts and can connect to a C14 PDU socket with a little adapter. They've been tested on 240v for months.
Coinfarm ventures (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 04:43:07 PM

in the event of a power failure (as soon as electricity comes in the bios setting)
does the system automatically shut down during system shutdowns?
did you develop an electrical outlet? I did not fully understand

We're just repurposing existing radio-controlled outlets, which were designed for smart homes and stuff, to be useful for GPU mining.
There will be a feature to temporarily disable automatic control if you're working on the rig so that it doesn't reset infinitely.
Sometimes the motherboard can be finicky at powering back on after a blackout is over. I've noticed this with Gigabyte Z270x-Gaming 5's. Or multiple PSUs need to be turned on in the right order.
rpstatic

Activity: 53
Merit: 7

View Profile
June 21, 2018, 07:46:33 AM

Very early prototype of the RRF hub:

Example of mining rigs connected to the outlets:

Thank you for the images, now I get an idea how the device will work.

The device doesn't restart the Claymore software, it just hard reboots the machine (or whatever PSU's it's connected to). If the OS and/or Claymore are already frozen, a hard reset is the only solution.

How do you recognize if the OS or Claymore is frozen?
Coinfarm ventures (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2018, 05:35:13 PM

How do you recognize if the OS or Claymore is frozen?

A proprietary algorithm that we're going to develop. It will work with a bunch of popular mining softwares, not just Claymore.
Coinfarm ventures (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2018, 07:25:56 PM

Update: I have new pictures of the RRF hub.
Pennywis3

Activity: 327
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 23, 2018, 08:34:47 PM

How exactly is this better than a 5$ USB Watchdog?
Coinfarm ventures (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2018, 04:07:35 AM

How exactly is this better than a 5$ USB Watchdog?

First, quality USB watchdogs cost $10-20 and some still have 3-star reviews. Most importantly, they can't detect every single mining issue and fix every issue. Watchdogs rely on signals from the OS and all they can detect is an OS freeze. Also the user has no control and can't temporarily disable the watchdog. Resetter RF will allow you to control everything and manually reset.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: