Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:53:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bithumb hacked: price went up = good sign?  (Read 449 times)
BrewMaster (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1292

There is trouble abrewing

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 02:55:51 PM

Bithumb was hacked yesterday and the news has been spreading in the major media for at least 14 hours now based on the article times[1].

price however has not shown any reaction to the news and on top of that in the past 14 hours we have had a rise. granted it was a small rise but still it reached $6841 a couple of hours from this news.

is this a good sign that we have reached the absolute bottom?

[1] https://www.ccn.com/breaking-south-korean-crypto-exchange-bithumb-hacked-thieves-steal-30-million/

There is a FOMO brewing...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xali

Activity: 163
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 03:11:16 PM

YES
BUY THE DIP
 Grin Grin Grin

But seriously there's just no way Bitcoin can drop. Some say this is like a triple bottom. But anyone who knows about blockchain knows that it's here to stay. Maybe one day Bitcoin will become dead, but it HAS to be replaced.
If there is no replacement on the horizon, you can bet your socks that Bitcoin can only go up... Barring any more market manipulation and any other panic selling

On that note, I would bet that the whales pumped and dumped all they could during the rise and fall from 20K. And the recent hacks being inconsequential as you say, have emptied the pockets of all the spineless panicked people.

Only the real folk are left

someone else had been posting on my account for over a year; Every post from January 10 2017 to June 18 2018 is NOT ME
Whoever this person was that got access to my account, felt the need to shill something called "bidium" in my signature
very surreal. is this normal? the internet is full of crooks... watch out
BrewMaster (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 03:38:12 PM

there is also a lot of activity on-chain in the past ~8 hours. the mempool size currently is 27-28 MB which shows people are moving their bitcoins around so there must be a panic going on BUT the price is not showing it at all which makes it even more interesting!
just for the record current price is $6761

https://jochen-hoenicke.de/queue/#0,24h

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 03:51:36 PM

there is also a lot of activity on-chain in the past ~8 hours.

I've read elsewhere that most of that was Bithumb themselves shaking up their cold storage just in case.

The fact that a nothing exchange hack was correlated to last week's fall yet a major exchange being hacked for a similar amount this week did nothing much tells me that people shouldn't be attributing this stuff to exchange hacks as long as it's a minor amount.
fabiorem

Activity: 1400
Merit: 347

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 03:54:54 PM

Centralized exchanges should be a thing of the past already.

We need blockchained exchanges, that we can store in our computers in a P2P format. This way, nobody will hack it. Although I doubt there are hackings in these exchanges, it always looks like a inside job.

Also, KYC is the cancer of centralized exchanges. Sooner or later, only bankers will be able to deal in these exchanges. And there's a thing I noted, about KYC: the more strict the exchange is, the higher is the probability of being "hacked".
dunfida
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1131

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 04:05:05 PM

there is also a lot of activity on-chain in the past ~8 hours. the mempool size currently is 27-28 MB which shows people are moving their bitcoins around so there must be a panic going on BUT the price is not showing it at all which makes it even more interesting!
just for the record current price is $6761

https://jochen-hoenicke.de/queue/#0,24h
Actually ive been waiting for the price to drop since yesterday after the news but it turns out the price havent moved down inspite of that exchange hacking.
We do usually seen price drop when theres an incident related to this but it turns out that it doesnt being affected which is quite surprising and we dont even know whats actually behind why it isnt been affected or just a bait?

BrewMaster (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 04:09:27 PM

there is also a lot of activity on-chain in the past ~8 hours.

I've read elsewhere that most of that was Bithumb themselves shaking up their cold storage just in case.

The fact that a nothing exchange hack was correlated to last week's fall yet a major exchange being hacked for a similar amount this week did nothing much tells me that people shouldn't be attributing this stuff to exchange hacks as long as it's a minor amount.

what exchange hack was last week? i missed that.
Bithumb thing happened today. and although i agree that people shouldn't really pay attention to these stuff but they do.
and this was a big amount. it is $31 million dollar which is nearly half what was stolen from Bitfinex in 2016 and by then price dropped 30% and the drop started before the news came out then continued down to $465

whats actually behind why it isnt been affected or just a bait?

as i said in OP maybe because we have hit the absolute bottom?!
but it can not be a bait because the way these things work is that first the insiders dump and price goes down even before the news comes out. then the news comes out and the panic starts because people hear the news and see the price drop so they decide to sell so drop becomes bigger.
in case of bitfinxe first price dropped from $657 down to $600 and then the news came out and the big  drop happened down to $500ish then bitfinex approved the suspicious and said they have been actually hacked and price dropped hard down to $465

gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 04:13:21 PM
Merited by BrewMaster (1)

Somewhere named Coinrail.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jun/11/bitcoin-price-cryptocurrency-hacked-south-korea-coincheck

Which I've never heard of and no one else has either and there's no way for foreign money to get in and out of Korea anyway. Yet it was blamed for last week's falls which tells me it's all a load of hogwash.
renes

Activity: 532
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 04:15:21 PM

It might not continue to rise now but that's really good sign because it hasn't decreased much after the news are spread. Bithumb is also very big exchange that should have affected bitcoin  Cheesy
cryptokwuk

Activity: 97
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 04:25:56 PM

The massive on-chain activity doesn't promise much.
People are just waiting for their funds to confirm on exchanges and then the panic selling can begin.
Here comes the dump!

As i predicted before, we will see 3500 before the end of the month.
BrewMaster (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 04:26:25 PM

Somewhere named Coinrail.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jun/11/bitcoin-price-cryptocurrency-hacked-south-korea-coincheck

Which I've never heard of and no one else has either and there's no way for foreign money to get in and out of Korea anyway. Yet it was blamed for last week's falls which tells me it's all a load of hogwash.

this was so insignificant in my head that i totally forgot about it LOL

People are just waiting for their funds to confirm on exchanges and then the panic selling can begin.
i was expecting someone to say this. but that is where you are wrong. there are always a lot of funds on exchanges belonging to a lot of traders. if there really was a panic then price would have dropped because those traders would have sold.
besides all these transactions aren't waiting for 20 hours to confirm at the same time. they ARE being confirmed so even if people were panicking to dump then we should have seen a slow drop as their transactions confirmed in each block every ~10 minutes.

Here comes the dump!
price is pretty much the same if not risen! we even set a new ATH for the week

did your main account (kuwkduck ) get banned or something?

gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 04:35:37 PM

this was so insignificant in my head that i totally forgot about it LOL

It happened during a proper fall which goes to show that these hacks are meaningless unless they're properly large.

did your main account (kuwkduck ) get banned or something?

It hasn't posted since Feb so something happened to it. This is very much not a loss to the rest of us.

fabiorem

Activity: 1400
Merit: 347

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 04:38:03 PM

Here comes the dump!

$3500? This is too much, duck. It will go to $450, according to Elliot Wave Theory, the favorite TA of the permabears.
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 04:55:17 PM

Bithumb was hacked yesterday and the news has been spreading in the major media for at least 14 hours now based on the article times[1].

price however has not shown any reaction to the news and on top of that in the past 14 hours we have had a rise. granted it was a small rise but still it reached $6841 a couple of hours from this news.

[1] https://www.ccn.com/breaking-south-korean-crypto-exchange-bithumb-hacked-thieves-steal-30-million/

Bithumb got hacked, made the announcement and the price went down.
Today Tether published an half backed audit to claim that all is fine, and the price went up.
So for these 2 days price action was totally news driven.
If you don't believe me, check the time of Tether's announcement via twitter and the BTC price getting pumped.
Today's price rise has nothing to do with yesterday's hack. Two different events.
bitcad4u

Activity: 602
Merit: 255

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 05:20:52 PM

Bitcoin price is volatile one. So you can buy at dip and sell at the peak.If you want to get more profit , holding and patience is the best option.When the price reach the mountain,you can sell at the best price.We have to take care for our asset with some security.Then our bitcoin will safe.
teramit
Legendary

Activity: 1870
Merit: 1387

The Last Cryptocoin Burner

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 05:43:41 PM

People will never understand there is no relation between hackings and btc price. If any exchange hack coincided with a price fall everybody connects them but a lot of times price rised while a hacking news was hot.If hacking is not on your exchange you dont have to cry, no affect to your money, you dont have to sell.
olumyd

Activity: 658
Merit: 117

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 07:58:48 PM

It's hard to believe this was a real hack, if it were, being a notable exchange should have caused a ruckus, as people would have been afraid of repeating the fate of Mt. Gox. This is the presumption each time an exchange gets hacked. However, there may be more to the story since the price was not so much affected in a negative way and even recovered 'too quickly'. Although, the storm is yet to pass, and the thing to fear the most is the aftermath of this hack, especially with the G20 review of cryptocurrencies coming up in July and SEC breathing down the industry's neck; calling $30 million USD a small amount may have been a wrong choice of words.
hatshepsut93
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 2147

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 08:03:15 PM

Most people already realize that it's not Bitcoin's fault that exchanges get hacked, only clueless nocoiners say that "Bitcoin can be hacked". So, that's the first reason for why the price is ignoring this latest hack. Also, people are looking at past performance, and what they see is the tendency for the price drop after the hack to decrease - we went from the crash and bear market after Gox to just minor drops with the last few incidents.

.BEST.CHANGE..███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Harlot

Activity: 1806
Merit: 671

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 08:10:18 PM

Centralized exchanges should be a thing of the past already.

We need blockchained exchanges, that we can store in our computers in a P2P format. This way, nobody will hack it. Although I doubt there are hackings in these exchanges, it always looks like a inside job.

Also, KYC is the cancer of centralized exchanges. Sooner or later, only bankers will be able to deal in these exchanges. And there's a thing I noted, about KYC: the more strict the exchange is, the higher is the probability of being "hacked".

One hack or even frequent hacks does not justify of not having a centralized exchange. It just means that this cryptocurrency exchanges must improve their security as this emerging market is getting a lot of attention from criminals. In order for cryptocurrencies to be successful the government needs our full cooperation with their decision and so far majority of the countries are pro-cryptocurrency. And can we just be real for a moment? We cannot exactly have a world where cryptocurrency can have a feature of anonymity.
Greed Dev

Activity: 490
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 08:14:43 PM

Market prices are hard to predict. Sometimes there is a lot of good news for crypto, but the price of the market will drop. And today when there is bad news such as exchanging Bithumb attacked, but prices have not dropped and are trending up.

───────────────    IMO Ecosystem    ───────────────
Customer First, Innovation from Everyone, Fair & Transparent
TELEGRAM  ]              J O I N   U S              [   TWITTER   ]
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: