Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 11:54:57 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: KNC's "Plan B"  (Read 1592 times)
Perseus353 (OP)

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 04:20:01 PM

Some of you may have seen the newsletter that was sent by KNC yesterday, it's also here on their website: https://www.kncminer.com/news/news-75

I'm not quite sure what to make of the third item on the list, the "Plan B" temporary hosting. 

Clearly they have not yet taped out their new chips yet, but is this a "BFL" scale fuck up waiting to happen? Did they overreach?

Plan B
As you are all aware we broke many world records in releasing the 28nm chip in such a short amount of time. We are a very ambitious company but even for us, to go “all in” and not be able to deliver on our performance targets, like our competition, would be completely unacceptable to us as a company and everything we stand for. So today we are introducing, Plan B.

To make sure that everyone who has paid for their Neptune gets their we are building a data centre like no other. It is located in the north of Sweden not far from Facebook and other Mega Data Centres and it’s totally powered by renewable energy.

Over the next few months we are bringing online enough hashing power to make sure that any delay in the Neptune timeline will be compensated with a completely free hosted hashing packages to all fully paid customers.

In the addition to this commitment, as part of Plan B, for all Neptune customers, we will be offering a free conversion to a hosted hashing package where we will simply fill your wallets directly and you won’t have to worry about anything else. All the other costs taken care of by us. We are able to do this by using our 28nm chips which is why all products that we have coming out of our factory in the next few months will go into building and supplying the Plan B facility.

If, during the course of development of Neptune, there is any threat to the timelines for delivery, those delays will not result in the loss of any mining time for our Neptune customers. We will release more details of this as we get closer to the delivery date, but for now we have one of the world’s largest data centres to build.

1CkV1H1CA67CjpG5QMxEgVU9tNto51DBHd
thy

Activity: 685
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 06:18:22 PM

Some of you may have seen the newsletter that was sent by KNC yesterday, it's also here on their website: https://www.kncminer.com/news/news-75

I'm not quite sure what to make of the third item on the list, the "Plan B" temporary hosting. 

Clearly they have not yet taped out their new chips yet, but is this a "BFL" scale fuck up waiting to happen? Did they overreach?

Plan B
As you are all aware we broke many world records in releasing the 28nm chip in such a short amount of time. We are a very ambitious company but even for us, to go “all in” and not be able to deliver on our performance targets, like our competition, would be completely unacceptable to us as a company and everything we stand for. So today we are introducing, Plan B.

To make sure that everyone who has paid for their Neptune gets their we are building a data centre like no other. It is located in the north of Sweden not far from Facebook and other Mega Data Centres and it’s totally powered by renewable energy.

Over the next few months we are bringing online enough hashing power to make sure that any delay in the Neptune timeline will be compensated with a completely free hosted hashing packages to all fully paid customers.

In the addition to this commitment, as part of Plan B, for all Neptune customers, we will be offering a free conversion to a hosted hashing package where we will simply fill your wallets directly and you won’t have to worry about anything else. All the other costs taken care of by us. We are able to do this by using our 28nm chips which is why all products that we have coming out of our factory in the next few months will go into building and supplying the Plan B facility.

If, during the course of development of Neptune, there is any threat to the timelines for delivery, those delays will not result in the loss of any mining time for our Neptune customers. We will release more details of this as we get closer to the delivery date, but for now we have one of the world’s largest data centres to build.
I havent read up on KnC the last months but i think there Neptunes were to be delivered in Q1-Q2 2014 or so. There first release of miners, Jupiter & Saturn was pretty close to projected target dates(end of september) and they started delivering a few days into October so maby they see that they might be a week or two behind there shedule on when to start delivering there new line of  Neptune ASIC miners.

The announcement of plan B is then just telling people that they intend to pay people for the mining incomes people would have got during those 1-2 weeks that they may be late. KnC have some mining on there own with previous generation ASICs and they intend to use generated bitcoins from those machines to pay costumers in the days there late if there late on releasing the Neptunes, thats how i interpret there news.

Locating a data center in the north of Sweden is nothing strange, we have lower electricity prices and lower taxes on electricity in the northen part of Sweden and the labourcost in northern part of Sweden is lower than if the had hosted there devices in Stockholm for example.

I don't see it as possible that KnC would screw up as BFL has done, KnC may be a week or a few late but i doubt it's possible for them to be over a year late on delivering ASICs like BFL was on the delivery some of there costumers machines.

Perseus353 (OP)

Activity: 125

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 03:46:54 PM

Yes, fair point. The Jupiters were only about a week or two late. Totally acceptable given that it performed a lot better than advertised. It was clearly not a BFL-scale fuck up.

I was just wondering whether more was going on here.

1CkV1H1CA67CjpG5QMxEgVU9tNto51DBHd
jamesc760

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 01:32:52 PM

KNC started shipping Jupiters and Saturns on Tuesday, October 1, 2013, so they were only a day later than they said they would. My groupbuy organizers, tyrion and blastbob, actually drove to KNC and picked up a few Jupiters on October 1, 2013, if I remember correctly.

KNC is the polar opposite of BFL.

But then again, the Swedes are honest to a fault. BFL, on the other hand, is spearheaded by an ex-con, so what else do you expect from them?
Anddos

Activity: 378

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 03:15:38 PM

What kind of renewable energy are the swedes using then?

ineedit

Activity: 252

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 04:19:27 PM

The have a Plan B

BFL planned fuck all....I don't think they even planned Plan A

If I have been help then please show your thanks         BTC: 127PRogAVZiV3fEmpJERh9KemK3a3Ffh6G         LTC: LXghFL8mZffpTFkm2nRTesuDrV5DJQP3Js
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 07:33:55 PM

The have a Plan B

BFL planned fuck all....I don't think they even planned Plan A

LOL, good one. (They got me...)

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
prodigits7

Activity: 120

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 11:47:54 AM

They said they're using hydro power, which is ideal for a datacenter.
InCoinsITrust

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 08:31:46 PM

They said they're using hydro power, which is ideal for a datacenter.

KNC is a best mining equipment company there is. They deliver on time, they deliver more gh/s than they predict, the miners are great. I think we can trust these guys.
Clayce

Activity: 280

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 10:55:54 PM

The question is, when does Plan B come into effect?? Q1/2 is such a large timetable its hard to determine when the Neptunes are actually late..
crocko

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

'All that glitters is not gold'

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 07:18:56 PM

IMHO KNC did a BIG MISTAKE by canceling the production of Jupiter (0.5 TH/s) and Saturn when the DEMAND was HIGHER !
They missed HUGE sales this winter. They allowed to Ant Miner S1 (180 Gh/s) to be sold in the detriment of the better KNC Saturn (200+ GH/s) ... And you must agree with me, Jupiter was the ASIC miner of the 2013.
And is still now, because NOBODY delivered anything yet !
Selling Jupiters again, this can be a successful plan B !

IMO this Neptune is a pure gamble:  with his fancy 20nm technology, when nobody on the market demanded it , and his delivery in Q1/Q2...

Find my posts helpful? Click my Trust link and rep me!
BTC: 1MqUxoDQE8Q88sDvoaLMbBJSMToSfPgKSy  DOGE: D61Na9wjuneAn9GFLRNrHgWHHFwVfd1T7y  LTC: 3Luo136zrqkCi53jT72FEY52GbwW1ZYi6X
af_newbie
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1468

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2014, 08:13:23 PM

IMHO KNC did a BIG MISTAKE by canceling the production of Jupiter (0.5 TH/s) and Saturn when the DEMAND was HIGHER !
They missed HUGE sales this winter. They allowed to Ant Miner S1 (180 Gh/s) to be sold in the detriment of the better KNC Saturn (200+ GH/s) ... And you must agree with me, Jupiter was the ASIC miner of the 2013.
And is still now, because NOBODY delivered anything yet !
Selling Jupiters again, this can be a successful plan B !

IMO this Neptune is a pure gamble:  with his fancy 20nm technology, when nobody on the market demanded it , and his delivery in Q1/Q2...

Maybe they figured, to be relevant 6 months down the road, they needed to design something bigger and more power efficient.  Who knows, maybe they don't have the capacity to do Neptune and Jupiters at the same time.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: