Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:36:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Your confidence in Dogecoin?  (Read 2700 times)
hellscabane
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 01:47:35 AM

Doge started as a joke and I think has surprised everyone, including probably its own dev team.  It has attracted a lot of infrastructure and support very quickly and so I see it could be a survivor.  However, the dev teams decision not to limit the number of coins does not make it a good investment compared to other cryptos.  In short, buy doge only if you have something you want to use it for, otherwise BTC seems a better "reserve" currency to me.
All true. Use DOGE for short term gains.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
w00tcoin

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

w00t!coin

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 01:51:31 AM

I am saving as many DOGE as I can.

What for? Don't save them for too long though.

I just have a good feeling about Doge.

Community means so much to a successful business.

>> __ AntMiner S1 for sale. Message me. __ <<
>> __ 9 of 10 left. One sold so far. w00t! __ <<
larem

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 02:06:40 AM

What do you think about Doge? Will it rise in power soon? and Will it be int he Top Three Coins in the market?

What do you mean by power? It'll never be up to much just because of the marketcap. It's not a wise investment for the future, but maybe you can have some fun with it now, but you're not gonna become rich off it.

Supposedly Dogecoin is going to drop its block payouts by half soon. This will slow down the production and may boost prices.

w00tcoin

Activity: 98

w00t!coin

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 02:17:07 AM

Exactly the same thing that happened to BTC.

>> __ AntMiner S1 for sale. Message me. __ <<
>> __ 9 of 10 left. One sold so far. w00t! __ <<
jp

Activity: 69

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2014, 05:47:49 AM

Its growth is impressive, but long-term I don't see how a coin based on a meme will survive.

Helping the world exit the traditional financial system.
DeathProxy

Activity: 756
Merit: 251

World's First Crowd Owned Cryptocurrency Exchange

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 07:42:50 AM

Trading and mining doge is great. But I don't know if doge can sustain it's growth.

R0yalAir

Activity: 84

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 12:43:33 PM

What do you think about Doge?

It's just another open source peer-to-peer cryptocurrency.

larem

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 08:11:38 PM

Its growth is impressive, but long-term I don't see how a coin based on a meme will survive.

We live in a social world. Memes are very socially accepted (... well, at least now). As long as this trend continues, Dogecoin should do well.

Sheldor333

Activity: 406

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 10:17:23 PM

Bitcoin is an uphill slog against constant vitriol and hate - something about it makes doubters become passionate and venomous, and trying to follow Bitcoin while ignoring all the hate/ignorance/ridicule can get wearisome.
It probably wasn't intentional, but Dogecoin disarms those people. It's hard to get worked up and spew serious arguments against a jokecoin that doesn't take itself seriously.
Emotionally I admit it feels like Dogecoin is yet another ridiculing of Bitcoin and another useless alt, and I'm so over both of those things that it's harder for me to fully appreciate the humor, but it seems like Dogecoin is achieving great things (for everyone), whether intentional or not.

djarot

Merit: 254

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 10:21:07 PM

Trading and mining doge is great. But I don't know if doge can sustain it's growth.

Do you think Doge will hit over 200 satoshi again?
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 10:23:18 PM

Thing is, Doge seem fun and all by its community but this is, at the same time, what will makes serious investors and serious businesses not want to join and participate. If they do, Doge will become serious and not fun anymore which is in contrast of why it is taking off.

larem

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 10:23:47 PM

I do, although it can take a while. Things still need to settle. Dogecoin is the only one that can cater to the "general public" who happens to know what doge even means.

zemario

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 10:32:54 PM

I do, although it can take a while. Things still need to settle. Dogecoin is the only one that can cater to the "general public" who happens to know what doge even means.
I'm not so sure about that. I grabbed some doge and I intend to keep them, although if I should be honest I would say there's a 10% probability dogecoin survives a year or two. I was not an early adopter of bitcoin, got my coins a year ago. So in case doge lasts for many years, could be cool to own some old doge.

But realistically speaking, I think even litecoin is pretty useless, I mean, what does it put on the table that bitcoin doesn't? It doesn't even leverage scrypt's advantages (acording to scrypt's creator).
larem

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 10:37:12 PM

I'm not so sure about that. I grabbed some doge and I intend to keep them, although if I should be honest I would say there's a 10% probability dogecoin survives a year or two. I was not an early adopter of bitcoin, got my coins a year ago. So in case doge lasts for many years, could be cool to own some old doge.

But realistically speaking, I think even litecoin is pretty useless, I mean, what does it put on the table that bitcoin doesn't? It doesn't even leverage scrypt's advantages (acording to scrypt's creator).

Litecoin's only advantage that I know of is faster transactions. Same with WDC.

Bitcoin just can't be used for day to day transactions; it takes too long. The 30-50m blocks would be killer if you're sitting around waiting on confirmations at a store.

UltraPleb

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 11:40:35 PM

I can see it taking off, already got a bigger network than LTC. Although there will be better coins to come after it.
zemario

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 12:19:05 AM

Litecoin's only advantage that I know of is faster transactions. Same with WDC.

Bitcoin just can't be used for day to day transactions; it takes too long. The 30-50m blocks would be killer if you're sitting around waiting on confirmations at a store.

Hoping not to fork the discussion too much... BTC block size was not picked randomly. I apologize for not posting the source, but I recall previous discussions on this forum where people explain how faster block times basically translate into weaker validations. There's no free lunch there just by tweaking some parameters.

AFAIK, litecoin doesn't attempt to introduce any innovation to the concept beyond using a different hash function and tweaking some parameters. Other coins did try to experiment by adding new ideas to the mix: proof of stake for example.

As for bitcoin not being suited for practical day to day transactions, I believe some services can be built on top of bitcoin to mitigate that and offer fast transaction times. It is not realistic to think that 5-10 years for now we will still using bitcoin in such a low level fashion as we do now.

Back on the dogecoin topic, looks like dogecoin is the first altcoin with a lightweight client:
http://www.reddit.com/r/dogecoin/comments/1xdr4u/multidoge_010_released_light_wallet_client_for/

pretty impressive, considering most coins consist of a thread here on bitcointalk.
BitcoinsJoe (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 01:53:22 AM

Yes, I think that talking negative about Doge is going to jinx it.

How about stop ridiculing it instead of building it?
gollum

Activity: 434

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 02:10:38 AM

DogeCoin is a f-n joke.
After the stock market crash we are experiencing now bitcoin will crash 90%, and most altcoins will crash 99-100%.
Bullshit coins like dogecoin will seize to exist when people don't waste mining power anymore on them.
Omikifuse
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 02:12:58 AM

Might be a right time to buy some dogecoin now as it's production is halving soon..
Kiki112

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 03:06:51 AM

I believe in doge Cheesy

doge is the most profitable cryptocurrency recently Smiley

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: