Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 12:56:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Transaction fee question.  (Read 593 times)
Pangia (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 04:48:25 PM

When all Bitcoins are mined, how much will each person have to pay to perform a transaction on the network? (how much will miners charge per transaction)

Thanks in advance for your input.

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
btc_dev

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 05:03:04 PM

When all Bitcoins are mined, how much will each person have to pay to perform a transaction on the network? (how much will miners charge per transaction)

Is it the fact that miners can charge on their will ? I mean do they have the independence to chose Tx depending on Tx fee ?
Pangia (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 05:20:42 PM

Is it the fact that miners can charge on their will ? I mean do they have the independence to chose Tx depending on Tx fee ?

I haven't a clue.

Perhaps I wrote my question incorrectly. I'm trying to figure out what the transaction fee will be once all Bitcoins are mined.

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
BTCIndia

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

vini, vedi, no vici.

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 05:26:08 PM

I haven't a clue.

Perhaps I wrote my question incorrectly. I'm trying to figure out what the transaction fee will be once all Bitcoins are mined.

Right now, transaction fees is very low and will stay same for a while. Once, btc is mainstream, I believe, transaction cost will again cost 2-3% per transaction adding commission of various middleman that includes conversion of btc to fiat, miner, payment processor etc. I strongly believe, we'll be back to age where we're right now.

He's Nick Sazbo from Washington. I've my answer. Or Hal? :O
Pangia (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 05:43:46 PM

I haven't a clue.

Right now, transaction fees is very low and will stay same for a while. Once, btc is mainstream, I believe, transaction cost will again cost 2-3% per transaction adding commission of various middleman that includes conversion of btc to fiat, miner, payment processor etc. I strongly believe, we'll be back to age where we're right now.

Ok thanks for your input.  I know that there are other variables associated with fees (middlemen, etc.). I'm trying to find out what the fee will be on the network to perform a transaction. For example, I want to send someone 1 BTC, how much will the network charge me to perform that transaction? (I don't want to wait 2 days so I'm going to pay the transaction fee, how much is that right now and when all coins are mined, how much will that be?). Thanks all. 

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄

▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3241

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 05:56:33 PM

In theory, there are no set fees. Fees are optional. You can decide how much you want to pay, and nodes in the network can decide if they want to transmit your transaction based on the fee, and miners can decide if they want to include your transaction in a block based on the fee.

However, the Bitcoin-qt wallet has a set of criteria that it uses to determine what fee you must pay, and most other wallets, nodes, and miners currently use that same criteria.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Pangia (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 06:03:47 PM

In theory, there are no set fees. Fees are optional. You can decide how much you want to pay, and nodes in the network can decide if they want to transmit your transaction based on the fee, and miners can decide if they want to include your transaction in a block based on the fee.

However, the Bitcoin-qt wallet has a set of criteria that it uses to determine what fee you must pay, and most other wallets, nodes, and miners currently use that same criteria.

Excellent. Thank you sir.

Would you know what that fee is currently set at?

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄

▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
Barek

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 06:19:04 PM

Minimum fee is 0.0001, which is sufficient in most cases. More detail here.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Transaction_fees
Pangia (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 06:22:42 PM

Thanks Barek.

Now when all coins are mined, will that minimum fee potentially have to rise to compensate miners for their resources?

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄

▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
Barek

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 06:33:41 PM

In the past, the minimum fee in the reference implementation has always been adjusted to be no higher than current levels.

We are at less than 1 transaction/second and use a block size limit that would allow about 6 per second. That means there is plenty of room to store the transactions.

Transaction storage space could become a rarity which would drive the price for storing a transaction up. Or maybe the block limit will be increased, which would mean a larger total fee from multiple small transactions.

It is hard to say what will happen in the future. You also need to realize that you are talking about 10s of years in the future.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4046
Merit: 1303

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 12:32:51 AM

Thanks Barek.

Now when all coins are mined, will that minimum fee potentially have to rise to compensate miners for their resources?

The minimum fee would have to compensate miners for their costs in securing the network,  but this will be around 2140 so it is pure speculation as to what fees will be then. 

lnternet

Activity: 299
Merit: 253

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 01:49:15 AM

Assuming you want to stay at 25 BTC block reward and 6 txps you will need 7mBTC fee. That is 70 times the current fee and currently worth around $5.55.

These assumptions will almost certainly not be met, but just as a way to visualize what the 25BTC right now means.

1ntemetqbXokPSSkuHH4iuAJRTQMP6uJ9
AltorXP

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 05:21:59 AM

Thanks Barek.

By the time all coins are mined, BTC will (most likely) have gone up a lot in value. Even tiny transaction fees then will amount to a lot - imagine $1,000,000 per coin, so it will remain at around 2-3%
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: