Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 01:12:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: For the love of... don't keep your coins on exchanges  (Read 555 times)
cryptothief

Activity: 350
Merit: 41

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2018, 11:03:19 PM

Always sage advice, having control of your own private keys is essential to minimise the risk of hacking. At least you can do everything to protect your own investment and not rely on an exchange to keep it safe. I tend to keep some of mine on exchanges for quick trades, but the majority are tucked away on cold wallets. I don't personally have an account on Bithumb, but $31 million was a good sized haul for the hackers.

BITSONG  ▌ THE FIRST DECENTRALIZED MUSIC STREAMING PLATFORM
▅ ▉ ▇ ▃ ▅   THE NEW MUSIC STREAMING ERA   ▅ ▃ ▇ ▉ ▅   PUBLIC SALE is LIVE
[ Telegram ➭ ChannelGroup ]   Whitepaper   Facebook   Twitter   Github   Medium   ANN
Open4lies

Activity: 552
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 11:06:04 PM

Do you love DOGE coins? It is risky to store cryptos on exchange floors, and you can easily lose the number of cryptos you have. So if you shop on exchange floors on a long-term investment then store at hardware wallets such as Trezor and Ledge Nano S.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████▄▄
░░░░░░░░░▄▄░░░░░░░░░████████
░░░░░▄▄██████▄▄░░░░░███████████▄▄
░▄▄██████████████▄▄███████████████▄
░▀▀██████████████▀▀░░░▀▀████████████
██▄▄▀▀██████▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀████████
██████▄▄▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███████
████████░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀███
████████░░░░░▄▄███████▄▄░░░░░███▄▄░░▀
████████░░░███████████████░░░███████▄
░░▀▀████░░░░░▀▀███████▀▀░░░░░████████
██▄▄░░▀▀░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░████████
██████▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░░▀███████
████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄██████▄▄▀▀███
██████████▄▄░░░░▄▄██████████████▄▄
██████████████▄▄▀▀██████████████▀▀
░░▀▀████████████░░░░▀▀██████▀▀
░░░░░░▀▀████████░░░░░░░░▀▀
░░░░░░░░░▀▀██████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀██
OATH

████▀
███▀  ▀
██▀  ▀
█▀  ▀
▀  ▀
▄  ▄
█▄  ▄
██▄  ▄
███▄  ▄
████▄

▀████
▀  ▀███
▀  ▀██
▀  ▀█
▀  ▀
▄  ▄
▄  ▄█
▄  ▄██
▄  ▄███
▄████

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

█▄▄              █▄▄
█████▄▄         ██████▄▄
████████       ████████ █
████████ ██   ████████ ██
████████ ███ ████████ ███
████████ ████ ██████ ████
████████ █████ ████ █████
████████ ▀█████ ██ ██████
████████    ▀▀██  ███████
▀███████         ▀███████
   ▀▀███            ▀▀███
       ▀                ▀
tomahawk9

Activity: 2086
Merit: 994

Cats on Mars

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 11:10:07 PM

Again we saw an exchange got hacked. There would be nothing to hack there if people didn't keep their coins on exchanges! For the love of Dog (lol), don't keep your coins on exchanges, start practicing safety, this is your investment we are talking about!
The thing is that cryptocurrency newcomers, and the majorty of people in the cryptosphere, find exchanges (and even web wallets) way more user-friendly than hardware/desktop wallets.

And it's obvious (at least for most of us since we've been in the cryptosphere for quite a while now) that exchanges aren't safe, but let's be honest, how many people actually care about safety nowadays? all they want to do is invest and make money, that's what the majority wants to do, and most people don't even keep up to date with cryptocurrency news so I doubt they'll ever know the consequences of keeping ALL your coins in a exchange.

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW
Coltpython

Activity: 700
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2018, 11:18:24 PM

I don't know why people are so stubborn. Keep your coins safe and away from exchanges. If you are not trading then there is no reason why you should leave your coins hanging in the exchange knowing fully well that exchanges are major targets of hackers

Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 11:23:11 PM

I don't know why people are so stubborn. Keep your coins safe and away from exchanges. If you are not trading then there is no reason why you should leave your coins hanging in the exchange knowing fully well that exchanges are major targets of hackers
The rational for the argument is typically something along the lines of wanting to have the coins in the exchange so that they're able to make use of the market swings and don't get caught waiting on a transaction to go through while the market rises/crashes. It makes sense in a way, but it's not very intelligent when you consider the risks involved, as we have seen recently.
PrudnikovLS

Activity: 113
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 11:31:13 PM

Of course, it is better to store cryptocurrency assets on official wallets or cold wallets. But there are situations that some platforms are not very convenient and secure wallets, so people are forced to store part of their assets on the exchanges.
Julunguul

Activity: 473
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2018, 11:35:19 PM

yes bad news that keeps coming like this really makes the price of BTC is also getting worse, but if there is no balance in our exchange account, how will trading still running? how will the volume rise if there is not something to trade?

more people are actually saving their coins / tokens on exchange in order to instant sell, but if all accounts have no balance so, the volume are dead. and also those exchange wouldn't be interesting.
btccashacc
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 11:38:19 PM

This is why i don't keep my coins on the exchange just spendable amount. However we can't avoid storing our money out there since we're doing trading we might cashout all the money once we got profit but as a day trader moving those coins and send back to exchange everyday it'll be charged a lot, so the only way is using decentralized exchange.
Usui-Kun

Activity: 224
Merit: 10

Streamity Decentralized cryptocurrency exchange

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 11:40:10 PM

It is difficult to sell if a quick pump happens and you alts are still on some other wallet, but the risk of letting your coins sit in an exchange js still far more dangerous than just being late to a pump.

kingvirtus09

Activity: 854
Merit: 108

SOL.BIOKRIPT.COM

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2018, 11:43:41 PM

I really don't rely on exchanges, I keep my funds on myetherwallet and hardware wallet- You must know that there are several DDOS attack on exchanges- We need alot of exchanges that will fund our crypto coins.

jmigdlc99

Activity: 784
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2018, 11:46:27 PM

Again we saw an exchange got hacked. There would be nothing to hack there if people didn't keep their coins on exchanges! For the love of Dog (lol), don't keep your coins on exchanges, start practicing safety, this is your investment we are talking about!

What exchange are you talking about? If you are referring to Poloniex, and this probably applies to any other exchange, all you have to do is comply with the rules (sadly, rules like KYC) that they stipulate. As long as you follow these, keep your account active, then you should have less reason to fear exchanges.

Personally, i am KYC-ed on all of the exchanges i have my money on. My portfolio is spread across 3 big exchanges and has been for a year now. No problems here.

0xacBBa937A57ecE1298B5d350f40C0Eb16eC5fA4B
ekdahlswart

Activity: 94

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 11:47:24 PM

But for trader it will make more easier when doing daily trading. I hope that in the future there is Exchange site which that which has a security system such as online wallet.
mr_smith99
Copper Member

Activity: 168

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 11:48:45 PM

I think that all traders should know that leaving the currency on the exchanges is quite dangerous. Undecided
Eureka_07

Activity: 1750
Merit: 260

Binance #SWGT and CERTIK Audited

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 11:49:38 PM

That's right don't keep yoir bitcoins in an exchange. Hackers found a way into attacking your money in an exchange. You should be more careful and wise to not let your money stay in the exchanges.

kier010

Activity: 532
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2018, 12:12:55 AM

i never put my coins in exchanged sites but sometimes i leave some of my coins but not much only the amount i can afford to lose. there are many exchange got hack this will be a lesson to them to never put coins in exchange site. if possible make multiple wallets to separate your coin in case it get hot the others are safe.
pickledmuffin

Activity: 89

View Profile
June 21, 2018, 12:24:44 AM

I think it comes down to a combination of laziness and people trusting the exchange too much, maybe wowed by its slick interface.

Sometimes it takes a lot of time to get all your coins out and into seperate wallets, so it's just easier to leave them in there, thinking it will not happen to that exchange.

keycellko

Activity: 406
Merit: 102

View Profile
June 21, 2018, 12:46:53 AM
Last edit: June 21, 2018, 04:31:47 AM by keycellko

Id have to agree with this. It is not safe to keep coins in exchanges. A lot of hacking has happened i hope this will open the eyes of everyone. Keep your coins in hardware wallets or cold storage to keep it safe. I don't think the hacking will stop. They will keep trying until they get all.
iamMhew

Activity: 688
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 21, 2018, 12:51:06 AM

How to, not to keep your coins in exchange if you are selling or buying coins on it. Ofcourse for you to get good profits you need to stay your coins on the exchange and do day trading, we cannot predict when the hacker came to hack the exchange, meaning the exchange didnt have a good security because they got hack. And traders suffer that fault from exchange.
annicketucufaw

Activity: 378
Merit: 16

View Profile
June 21, 2018, 12:58:44 AM

I am thankful that there are post like this to raise awareness to new traders just like me. I know that there will be more transaction fees if we are going to transfer back the money to our wallets then transfer it again to exchange if we are going to trade again, better to have additional transaction fee than lose all your coins/invest in an exchange because of this shit security. We can never know if this is an inside job or what but I think this is the only best way we can do to keep our tokens safe.

Eth address: 0x84da215D0558B308f9804a8b535e43b2f4f8056f
Ronin: ronin:8a9982982d41a808ab5fb7a23139a4164e0cb945
cryptogeek101

Activity: 798
Merit: 250

homt.net

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2018, 01:09:03 AM

I think your suggestion is quite right, not keeping your coins in an exchange is a very good idea because hackers get interested when they know that there is many so much money in store in an exchange. So we should try not to keep our coins in exchange instead we should keep them in safe wallets.

HOMT