Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 11:57:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is GPU mining even worth an investment?  (Read 6759 times)
elavenil

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 04:07:41 PM

It is still worth to invest in gpu mining. But altcoins are the only solution.
Use this site to find best profitable coin and mine it. Then exchange to whatever coin you like.
http://www.coinwarz.com/cryptocurrency

stormbono

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 04:18:29 PM

Hopefully not off topic;  but I would suggest not to make that investement.. having said that,  the question that araises me is, will all bitcoins ever be mined? since there are still quiet a bit to mine and the level of difficulty and the amount needed to invest...

Makes me wonder..

@ admin, hopefully not off topic, if so ,my appologies in advance
HellRaiser99 (OP)

Activity: 5

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 03:34:35 AM

Granted I already have a rock solid motherboard/CPU P9X79 Pro Intel 4930K, about to be water cooled with 16 gigs of ram.

My rig is not the problem.

If I drop some cash on 3 R9's would that be suitable.

And I can safely OC the shit out of it.

I need to learn more about altcoins
xorion

Activity: 16

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 05:11:32 AM

is it worthwhile to build my own rig of G9s or buy from butterflylabs or KNCminer?
hamiltino

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

P2P The Planet!

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 07:07:19 AM

dont listen to this agenda faggots. I bough 2 7970's 3 weeks ago and i am already in profit.

stacking coin
hulk

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 12:17:17 PM

I am trying to build a dedicated mining rig with a budget of roughly 10K.

Should I buy a bunch of GPUs run the hell out of them, and them sell them when the ASICs chips come out?

I hear a lot about how GPU mining is not worth the investment, but if you are new and want to front run the ASICs cards. And then use profits to purchase to upgrade is this a feasible solution?

Not worth buying GPU at all, since the price has dropped due to some panic sell, it might be a good chance to buy Bitcoin or Litecoin instead.

fasbit

Activity: 425
Merit: 253

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 07:21:50 PM

Or just buy FAS

Set it and forget it...
https://cryptostocks.com/securities/87
Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 06:20:18 AM

With the recent drop in bitcoin price, it is now a good time to buy some cheap coins.
Instead of buying GPUs, you should get better return and less works by buying bitcoin directly.
Jeezy911

Activity: 294

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 07:24:58 AM

Its all about what you mine when, and the future value of the coin.i dont care name any coin in history, If you got in and started mining if the first few hours of release you made a lot of btcs

bluemist

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2014, 01:20:42 PM

Prices of GPUs have gone up a lot in the last couple of months because mining alts became fairly profitable again. I'd say it's still worth it if you can get a good deal on graphics cards and have cheap electricity
CoinShovel

Activity: 11

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2014, 02:45:20 PM

GPU mining is certainly still profitable on Scrypt.

It is not profitable to mine any coin built on SHA-256.

Things to consider about starting to acquire a fleet of miners or GPUs: heat & electricity. Also, you should have some sort of fire suppression system in place if you care about the building you are doing this in.
af_newbie
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1468

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2014, 04:29:01 PM

Should I buy a bunch of GPUs run the hell out of them, and them sell them when the ASICs chips come out?

I hear a lot about how GPU mining is not worth the investment, but if you are new and want to front run the ASICs cards. And then use profits to purchase to upgrade is this a feasible solution?

It was never a good investment.  Treat it as a hobby.  BTW, people spend more on their hobbies than 10K so you are in the ball park.

Buy one rig, spend $2000, see how it goes.  If it is not for you, sell the cards, use the computer for something else.

DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 06:37:08 AM

As I stated in another post, consider this.  I made a pantload off GPU mining Bitcoin, but the only people who got true ROI were those GPU mining in early 2011.  I spent $150 for each 6870 and I could have bought 75 BTC instead.  Would have been much easier to just buy the coins.

You can still make $ by mining, but if the coin shoots up 10x you would have been better off buying the coins.
leannemckim46

Activity: 420

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 12:10:15 PM

ASICs for scrypt is already out...

██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
RISE
cointalkme

Activity: 7

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 12:29:41 PM

Yes for altcoins

No for Bitcoin

I would love to see some effective cheap ASICs coming up in the market so that break even time (5-6 months) is reduced
ManBearPig

Activity: 350

"Don't go in the trollbox, trollbox, trollbox"

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 01:40:14 PM

Is x profitable? Who knows? Yes so long as you don't mine and dump.

Seriously, I was mining 3 LTC per day last April. A few dollars profit per day. Had I kept them and sold at the top - VERY profitable but no I just sold them at market value didn't I?

Mine something that's going to stick around and hold it.

But I'd spend half that 10K on coins themselves. BTC, LTC and 1 other in a 40-40-20 split.

I tweet crypto nonsense: https://twitter.com/DunningKruger_
hostmaster

Activity: 266

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 01:46:16 PM

It is still worth to invest in gpu mining. But altcoins are the only solution.
Use this site to find best profitable coin and mine it. Then exchange to whatever coin you like.
http://www.coinwarz.com/cryptocurrency
It's not profitable as shown there always %5-20 less. But if you like the idea of mining it's joy.
kthejung

Activity: 210

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 11:29:02 PM

at this point in the bitcoin mining difficulty, i would not mess with anything less than the antminer s1 which sells for $1700 on amazon and hashes at 180 g/h.  i punched in a few numbers in the profitability calculator and it seems like it would take about 3 months to make that money back; everything you make after is profit, unless the price of bitcoins goes up or down.  i personally plan on getting a machine that gets at least 2 t/h (2,000 g/h) because i want more bitcoins.  i'm in the bitcoin game for the long run and am one of the believers who thinks that a bitcoin will be worth at least $10,000 in under 10 years.
xorion

Activity: 16

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 02:52:56 AM

go for other coins like litecoin or doge
stacksmasher

Activity: 121

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 05:58:32 PM

You sir.. are a liar. The per Mh/s profits are very public. So unless you are making 5X everyone else...

dont listen to this agenda faggots. I bough 2 7970's 3 weeks ago and i am already in profit.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: