Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 03:21:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: winter temps: how cold is too cold?  (Read 2301 times)
virtualreality69 (OP)

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

Check out FireCoin!

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2014, 08:10:03 PM

quick background
So for north america is winter time. Where I live its been cold (30 degrees F, 0 degrees C)  for a few months. I have my rig about 12 inches from a window that I open just enough to let cold air in. It really lowers my gpu temps a lot and allows me to get high hash rates with no HW errors and fans spin at a low speed.

Ive since setup a simple contraption which funnels the air into my case quite efficiently (hopefully a picture attached soon).

My question:
Can the outdoor air get too cold that its harmful to my rig? Its currently about 0 degrees F and may hit -10 degrees F over the next few nights.

http://firecoin.tk  --> FireCoin: Currently one of the fastest growing, rare, alt-currencies!!
currently selling several undervolted cards: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=645037.0
www.amazon.com/shops/Virtualreality69

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vpasic

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 08:23:11 PM

my bfl 60gh units are so happy on -20 Celsius.

there is no "to cold" temperature as long as miners are protected from snow or rain.

Tips: 1Ejj8eANy2PLZVwrWUczkbQ8kQY2JhKqp6
darkjed

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 09:01:42 PM

I've found that if i let my antminer get to 10 Celsius(on board reading) while mining, it has a tendency to constantly reboot. If I use a IR thermometer it usually reads -20 C. I think the super low temperature could be doing funny things with the electrolyte in the capacitors. So now I have it in a container that has a small vent, inside the box while mining it's usually around 10 C and the miner itself reads 35-40 while the IR shows 0-10C on the caps themselves. Could also be the PSU since it's in the same box...But anyways that's been my experience with mining in the frigid north.
MaxP0WER

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 09:06:56 PM

For my mining rig (various hardware including GPUs)

I just keep my room cold in... It sits around 25-40 degrees F, I prefer not to leave my machine by any windows without protection against condensation.

I would  also add an extra mesh if you are just using a normal window screen. I use a compressor often as I live in a populated desert and the there is dirt flying everywhere some days. otherwise my macchines are fine at 60-75 degree Celsius temps easily during the winter.
Gazza1

Activity: 238

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 09:08:18 PM
Last edit: February 05, 2014, 09:53:53 PM by Gazza1

I've had my rigs near a window that has been in the -0's F for months.  They've have been great.  I'm not sure below freezing is good for the fans though.  I think just above freezing say 40F is probably ideal ambient air temperature for mining equipment rooms.  Provided everything is properly spaced apart and air can flow around the entire room in between cards, all hardware, etc.  And that air is exchanged with the outside for new air.

Impossible is a word found only in the dictionary of fools.
Gator-hex

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 11:18:04 PM
Last edit: February 05, 2014, 11:29:16 PM by Gator-hex

here is no "to cold" temperature

Actually you can get too cold and the electrons stop moving!

It won't happen without liquid nitrogen though. Wink at -144c http://youtu.be/QmSBaizEqkk?t=5m11s

The main problem is cold/hot cycles can crack lead free solder so best to try and maintain a constant temp and not let it fluctuate on BGA devices (GPU/ASIC) or they may one day stop working and need to be re-flowed.

Equate

Activity: 770

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 04:57:35 AM

quick background
So for north america is winter time. Where I live its been cold (30 degrees F, 0 degrees C)  for a few months. I have my rig about 12 inches from a window that I open just enough to let cold air in. It really lowers my gpu temps a lot and allows me to get high hash rates with no HW errors and fans spin at a low speed.

Ive since setup a simple contraption which funnels the air into my case quite efficiently (hopefully a picture attached soon).

My question:
Can the outdoor air get too cold that its harmful to my rig? Its currently about 0 degrees F and may hit -10 degrees F over the next few nights.

no harm unless there is a rain.
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 05:12:41 AM

For some reason my KnC boxes don't like it real cold.  They're fine once they're running, but they won't start up in the cold.  In particular the BBB never boots, and its blue heartbeat LED never starts beating.

I keep a heatgun on hand for those situations, which I aim at the BBB for half a minute before I start it up.  It's always done the trick so far.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
ssateneth
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 11:58:39 AM

Heatpipes can stop working in excessively cold temperatures. I'd say -15C is the lowest temperature you should feed into your computer, or the working fluid in heatpipes can freeze, preventing heat form transfering and your GPU cores, or what have you, willoverheat out of control.

If there are no heatpipes though and it's just a solid chunk of metal, then run it as cold as you can get.

atc1

Activity: 308

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 12:00:22 PM

-10F is perfectly alright. Just don't let too much moisture come into the setup.

mladen00
Legendary

Activity: 2124
Merit: 1013

K-ing®

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 12:17:43 PM

HI

You will have problems with humidity in your PC

IOTA
mladen00
Legendary

Activity: 2124
Merit: 1013

K-ing®

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 12:18:52 PM

and condensation on components....

you know what is happening then...

IOTA
RobbieRonalds

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 11:22:04 AM

Built my rig inside a old Freezer, no problem at all Wink
vpasic

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 11:52:11 AM

condensation and humidity?Huh?
LOL
yea right...
nice one...
FYI condensation is catching on object that are colder that air temperature!
and with the miners you have exact opposite thing!
they are running hot and air temperature around them is cold.
do your physics home work next time.

Gazza1

Activity: 238

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 11:53:36 AM

condensation?Huh?
LOL
yea right...
nice one...

It's funny how many people get that wrong

Impossible is a word found only in the dictionary of fools.
vpasic

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 12:58:53 PM

condensation?Huh?
LOL
yea right...
nice one...

It's funny how many people get that wrong

yeah
unbelievable.

HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 01:55:15 PM

Which is fine until air temp increases quicker than the cold parts of the miner.  I've seen server cases rusting when the aircon went wrong and was cycling the temp, leading to condensation on the server cases, despite the servers being on and outputting 40C air from the exhaust.
wpgdeez

Activity: 728

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 02:49:19 PM

my bfl 60gh units are so happy on -20 Celsius.

there is no "to cold" temperature as long as miners are protected from snow or rain.

My PSU's get cranky around -30 Celsius.
virtualreality69 (OP)

Activity: 125

Check out FireCoin!

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2014, 04:14:31 PM

Which is fine until air temp increases quicker than the cold parts of the miner.  I've seen server cases rusting when the aircon went wrong and was cycling the temp, leading to condensation on the server cases, despite the servers being on and outputting 40C air from the exhaust.

I'll keep this in mind.  It's been -15F to about 10F for the last few days. It might "skyrocket" up to 30F today.

You will have problems with humidity in your PC

I live in Colorado where humidity's usually not an issue, but I'll keep an eye on it too.

As far as moisture/snow/rain,
I plan on setting up some small industrial venting hardware which would handle it.

Thanks for all the input everyone!
- VR

http://firecoin.tk  --> FireCoin: Currently one of the fastest growing, rare, alt-currencies!!
currently selling several undervolted cards: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=645037.0
www.amazon.com/shops/Virtualreality69
melmo

Activity: 213

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 03:01:58 AM

I had a gpu rig running in the garage, it was running well even when it dropped below -20C, until it hung and I didn't notice for a few hours.  Then it became very unstable and would only run for 20 minutes before hanging.  I moved it indoors and it's been running fine ever since. 

I'm guessing either the caps or the heatpipes froze.  I should have lowered the fan speed, I had them at 75% because it had been in the garage ever since the summer when it was hitting 35C.  If you have a multiple 5970 rig, and the gpus are reporting temps like 14C, then something is probably wrong Smiley

My first gen Avalon took its place in the garage, and it's been running fine for a few weeks.  The fans are barely moving...
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: