Bitcoin Forum
September 05, 2024, 05:25:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Any chance that's our current channel?  (Read 2049 times)
oda.krell (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 08:44:37 PM

(*sloppily drawn* channel, I might add)

Guess we'll see tomorrow if we break out from it... doesn't take much, ~810 (bitstamp) is all that's needed.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 09:28:11 PM

That's a valid channel.
Here are some more. Notice the mid-line of the large gray channel, and how it supports the price at times. That makes it a fairly reliable channel. However, as with any channel, it only supports until it doesn't. A breakdown would create an acceleration channel down, and a breakout would have a target of around 50% of this channels height.

The red is just the horizontal range I've been trading the last month

segeln

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 09:51:34 PM

I think we are in a lateral movement since 2014/1/7(maybe 9). which has narrowed since 2014/1/29
I doubt we will outbreak off this channel.
oda.krell (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 10:56:33 PM

I think we are in a lateral movement since 2014/1/7(maybe 9). which has narrowed since 2014/1/29

Why not? At some point it will have to break out, up or down, no matter which direction.

Although I will say this much: I won't go as far as calling it (as MatTheCat does) "manipulation", but it seems to me that every high volume movement *downwards* (and tbh, those are the only high volume movements we see on the Western exchanges for the past 2, 3 weeks) is followed by a slow trickling of buys, on much lower volume, bringing price back up to where we started before the dump. Assuming for a second it is in fact an attempt by some large market players to stabilize the market, this strategy only works because volume is so ridiculously low at the moment... as in: it's not going to be something going on indefinitely. By the way, if you're sceptical about the initial observation (higher volume on the way down than on the way up), 6h, 12h CMF is picking it up quite nicely, as it should.

Alright, so here's the take home message: There's enough evidence for me to believe that we should trade below 800 soon, and stay there for the time being, but I am in fact cautious putting my money accordingly because of the evidence I see for a counter-balancing force at work. If this force really exists (in the sense of a single or small group of large participants) I would expect them to get to work *right now* though: bringing price above 800 and keeping it there, otherwise I'd say they run a risk of downward momentum getting too large to be contained.

Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
wobber
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 11:18:10 PM

It's breaking down.

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
oda.krell (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 11:55:30 PM

It's breaking down.

yes, but still very much possible that we'll end up like we did after the 27th: below 800, but above 700, and slowly moving up again on lower volume. If we break through 700 tonight though, all bets are off.

segeln

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 08:04:09 AM

[ think we are in a lateral movement since 2014/1/7(maybe 9). which has narrowed since 2014/1/29
Why not? At some point it will have to break out, up or down, no matter which direction.
offcourse we will outbreak this channel at some point/time. i was referring to
Guess we'll see tomorrow if we break out from it... doesn't take much, ~810 (bitstamp) is all that's needed.
now we are sliding into the broader lateral movement range. Don`t panic ,Folks (@oda.krell:I know you are not panicking)

segeln

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 08:05:52 AM
Last edit: February 06, 2014, 08:53:46 AM by segeln

It's breaking down.
yes, but still very much possible that we'll end up like we did after the 27th: below 800, but above 700, and slowly moving up again on lower volume. If we break through 700 tonight though, all bets are off.
I see you being optimistic,so am I
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2014, 08:20:57 AM

It's breaking down.
I see you being optimistic,so I am

It's funny how living through two other crashes trains you to see these as buying opportunities. Lotta money to be made catching falling knives.

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
segeln

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 08:46:09 AM

It's breaking down.
I see you being optimistic,so I am

It's funny how living through two other crashes trains you to see these as buying opportunities. Lotta money to be made catching falling knives.
as a hodler I don`t catch in any knive
oda.krell (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 09:27:11 PM
Last edit: February 06, 2014, 09:42:20 PM by oda.krell

Looks like we'll stay in the channel a bit longer, huh?

I think the real question right now is whether we'll stay above the (recent) low point, 720-730 (bitstamp). If we don't go near that level in the next day or two, we're fine I think. Probably back to boredom at 800 then Cheesy

On the other hand, if we do approach 730/720, I expect things to accelerate a bit, mainly for the psychological reason that we're running the risk of a series of lower highs *and* lower lows. Next stop will probably be action around 705 (lowest point of the channel above, as of now), then 680 (long running trend acting as point of high volume support since at least December).

Anything below that is speculation right now, and would bring us back into December 18th territory... and I don't see that happening right now.

EDIT: just took a look at the 6h charts and momentum and CMF look *really* ugly right now. I'll upgrade revisiting 730/720 from 'not betting on it' to 'could be, could be' ^_^

segeln

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 09:42:12 PM

I think the real question right now is whether we'll stay above the (recent) low point, 720-730 (bitstamp). If we don't go near that level in the next day or two, we're fine I think. Probably back to boredom at 800 then Cheesy

On the other hand, if we do approach 720, I expect things to accelerate a bit, mainly for the psychological reason that we're running the risk of a series of lower highs *and* lower lows. Next stop will probably be action around 705 (lowest point of the channel above, as of now), then 680 (long running trend acting as point of high volume support since at least December).

Anything below that is speculation right now, and would bring us back into December 18th territory... and I don't see that happening right now.
sorry oda.krell but I cannot concur with the price-figures abovementionend. I don`t find them at my graph (bitstamp data as well). Revise please.
Anyway I aggree with your thoughts.
oda.krell (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 09:44:35 PM

On the other hand, if we do approach 720, I expect things to accelerate a bit, mainly for the psychological reason that we're running the risk of a series of lower highs *and* lower lows. Next stop will probably be action around 705 (lowest point of the channel above, as of now), then 680 (long running trend acting as point of high volume support since at least December).

sorry oda.krell but I cannot concur with the price-figures abovementionend. I don`t find them at my graph (bitstamp data as well). Revise please.

705 is the low point of the channel in my original post. 680 is a long-running daily EMA that has served me very well in the past 3 months. But please note: I didn't say we'll reach them. I said, *if* we get back to 730/720, and we *don't* find support there, I would expect those two points to be the next likely points of volume/possible support.

segeln

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 09:57:43 PM
Last edit: February 06, 2014, 10:25:32 PM by segeln

705 is the low point of the channel in my original post. 680 is a long-running daily EMA that has served me very well in the past 3 months. But please note: I didn't say we'll reach them. I said, *if* we get back to 730/720, and we *don't* find support there, I would expect those two points to be the next likely points of volume/possible support.
thanks for clarification.I was a Little embarrassed.   Embarrassed The restraints (*if*) you made I got of course.[I still can read]

heh,my narrowed lateral movement range is not broken yet Grin Grin Smiley

but scraping  Undecided Cry Angry
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 02:28:10 AM

The 100 Daily SMA is also sitting right below 720, so that's additional support. The 200 (which was the point of resistance at $66) is at around 420 and climbing by about $3 a day.  Which means in about a month it will be around $520ish.  The longer this correction continues to plod along the higher these really historically powerful support zones come. For instance, if we don't get to $620 within 60 days from now, we may very well never get below that level again.
oda.krell (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 10:09:27 AM

I love it when a plan comes together. Well, sort of.

Looks like we're fighting for ~680 (the long running daily EMA I mentioned above), but I'm not convinced we'll stay here tbh. That we went through 720 with almost no resistance is not a good sign.

(I'm using Bitstamp prices, by the way. mtgox is dead, and those who still use it, be it for trading or price analysis have no one to blame but themselves)

~680 will probably continue to be a point of support/resistance, but if we can't hold it, I expect the trend residing currently at ~590 to provide support (it did so on Dec 18). In the medium term, I can see us trading in a range of 530-630, based on what looks like plausible analogues to the post-April '13 recovery period to me.

Note that I'm not saying we'll go straight to the 530/630 range. In fact, we might not touch it at all. It's just a target range I see as likely if we don't hold the current range today/tomorrow. Prices below 500 are extremely unlikely atm though. Slightly less unlikely, but still not what I would expect is a "full" recovery back to 800.

Zarathustra
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 11:36:16 AM

Re: Any chance that's our current channel?

There is no such thing as a 'chance', because there are no such things as 'contingent events'. There is only one possibility: the one and only possible reality. There aren't other ones.
oda.krell (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 12:04:09 PM

Re: Any chance that's our current channel?

There is no such thing as a 'chance', because there are no such things as 'contingent events'. There is only one possibility: the one and only possible reality. There aren't other ones.

Really? That's your response? Phenomenological speculations? I had you tagged as a bit more insightful in the past.

It was a rhetorical question. I could have also written "hey, look at the depressing channel we're in".

and, looking at it again, some hours later, waddayathink where we found support?

EDIT: before someone complains: yes, the original channel is broken. but closing above it, twice, within a tiny error margin, is likely not a coincidence.

RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 12:06:51 PM

I'll just leave an updated pic here

Tongue

Channels work well until they don't, but they're usually pretty safe to bet on

oda.krell (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 12:36:20 PM

I'll just leave an updated pic here

Tongue

Channels work well until they don't, but they're usually pretty safe to bet on

jup. don't know about you, but I made nice profit on tonight's swing so far. now, let's see if we're indeed stabilizing/recovering, or another panic wave follows.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: