Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:18:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockchain.info app removed from Apple App Store  (Read 1697 times)
keithers (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 12:45:26 AM

It looks like the blockchain.info app has been removed from the Apple App Store.   I am still running iOS 6.0, and already have it installed, so I can still use it.   You can also get the full app from Cydia if you have a jailbroken iPhone.   Pretty lame that Apple is dropping the hammer on all bitcoin wallet related apps...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitnicity

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 12:58:00 AM

Apple is a fucking corrupted anti-rebellion existence now
keithers (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 01:06:39 AM

Apple is a fucking corrupted anti-rebellion existence now

They suck in so many ways now, but their phones still work the easiest unfortunately, so to be honest, i will probably end up buying the next iPhone also Sad
MessyCoin

Activity: 458
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 01:16:04 AM

Because of this draconian anti-competitive policy I want to get Apple out of my life.

EDIT: Too bad I'm not a big fan of google either! Hoping for some decent open-source alternatives, maybe Ubuntu phone when it comes out. There is FirefoxOS but practically no apps for that at all as yet.

keithers (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 01:19:44 AM

I use their laptops for my djing, so Apple isn't going anywhere for me soon... 

They won't be getting any bitcoin donations though..that's for sure!
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 01:19:56 AM

The windows 8 mobile version needs rolling out asap.

keithers (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 01:21:23 AM

Because of this draconian anti-competitive policy I want to get Apple out of my life.

EDIT: Too bad I'm not a big fan of google either! Hoping for some decent open-source alternatives, maybe ubuntu phone when it comes out.

Sorry if this is a stupid question...but aren't google phones open source?  I thought that was the whole reason some of the people were buying the Google version of Galaxy S4?  Sorry...I am kind an ignoramus when it comes to computer language...
MessyCoin

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 01:29:44 AM

EDIT: Too bad I'm not a big fan of google either! Hoping for some decent open-source alternatives, maybe ubuntu phone when it comes out.

Sorry if this is a stupid question...but aren't google phones open source?  I thought that was the whole reason some of the people were buying the Google version of Galaxy S4?  Sorry...I am kind an ignoramus when it comes to computer language...

That's true, but it's my understanding that Android phones can't really be considered open source devices. While much of Android itself is open source, all Android devices ship with a large amount of proprietary drivers and software. But I'm not an expert.

This article seems to sum things up well: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/10/googles-iron-grip-on-android-controlling-open-source-by-any-means-necessary/

keithers (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 01:32:33 AM

Sorry if this is a stupid question...but aren't google phones open source?  I thought that was the whole reason some of the people were buying the Google version of Galaxy S4?  Sorry...I am kind an ignoramus when it comes to computer language...

That's true, but it's my understanding that Android phones can't really be considered open source devices. While much of Android itself is open source, all Android devices ship with a large amount of proprietary drivers and software. But I'm not an expert.

This article seems to sum things up well: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/10/googles-iron-grip-on-android-controlling-open-source-by-any-means-necessary/

maybe we all need to go back to those nokia 8800s?   You  know the ones with the snake game as the only game on the whole phone?
balanghai

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 01:34:10 AM

now that's gross.
coinspoolco

Activity: 47

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 01:34:39 AM

No more apple product in my household ever again ^^
MessyCoin

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 01:35:23 AM

But I guess Android does have the advantage that even if they decided to remove Bitcoin apps from the Google Play store - then there are atill many alternative software sources for Android.

With apple, you can only get apps from Apple - unless you "jailbreak" the device.

I just want a perfect world where the entire phone comes completely open-source Smiley

coinspoolco

Activity: 47

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 01:36:52 AM

Get a motorola c123 with osmocomBB Cheesy
keithers (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 01:39:10 AM

But I guess Android does have the advantage that even if they decided to remove Bitcoin apps from the Google Play store - then there are atill many alternative software sources for Android.

With apple, you can only get apps from Apple - unless you "jailbreak" the device.

I just want a perfect world where the entire phone comes completely open-source Smiley

Yes that would be cool.   Did you hear about or see that leaked report that was saying that Obama is actually trying to outlaw jailbreaking your phone?   The man cannot do anything right...  At least he was able to get the BCS in college football to go to a playoff structure.   That is about his only notable accomplishment.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 02:01:13 AM

Bitcoin is at a very basic level fundamentally incompatible with Apple's locked down DRM infected ecosystem for IOS, so this is hardly surprising. I am actually surprised it lasted this long. The solution here is very simple: Do not use Apple products.

By the way Windows 8 RT / Windows phone is actually worse.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 02:03:32 AM

Yes that would be cool.   Did you hear about or see that leaked report that was saying that Obama is actually trying to outlaw jailbreaking your phone?   The man cannot do anything right...  At least he was able to get the BCS in college football to go to a playoff structure.   That is about his only notable accomplishment.

He already has. Jailbreaking is actually illegal in the United States.

Edit: Jailbreaking iPads is illegal but iPhones is legal under an exemption good only until 2015 [ DO NOT POST SESC LINKS ] DO NOT POST SESC LINKS [/url]

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
keithers (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 02:28:00 AM

Yes that would be cool.   Did you hear about or see that leaked report that was saying that Obama is actually trying to outlaw jailbreaking your phone?   The man cannot do anything right...  At least he was able to get the BCS in college football to go to a playoff structure.   That is about his only notable accomplishment.

He already has. Jailbreaking is actually illegal in the United States.

Edit: Jailbreaking iPads is illegal but iPhones is legal under an exemption good only until 2015 [ DO NOT POST SESC LINKS ] DO NOT POST SESC LINKS [/url]

really?  I thought unlocking phones was illegal (as in unlocking it to work on another carrier), but I thought jailbreaking was still ok?
Kyraishi

Activity: 952
Merit: 513

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 10:03:05 AM

Why bother about the app.
making a web blockchain app shouldn't be hard.

even the site itself works great.

no?

Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 10:07:41 AM

I use their laptops for my djing, so Apple isn't going anywhere for me soon... 

They won't be getting any bitcoin donations though..that's for sure!

Huh

Why would you donate to an enterprise that makes Billions?

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
abacus

Activity: 618
Merit: 500

a clockwork miner

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 10:15:47 AM

Welcome, Apple. Seriously.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: