Bitcoin Forum
July 04, 2024, 09:57:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Power Strip / Surge Protector Tripping issues  (Read 128 times)
unc0nnected (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2018, 06:02:28 PM

I'm not 100% sure if the problem gets worse when the ambient temp goes up but I been having a lot of issues this week with one of my rigs going down because it's power strip keeps on tripping.  So keen to hear advice from people that have gone through this as well as recommendations for power strips that can handle warmer environments a little better.  Currently I am using these guys: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B075RZ89XC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which I bought because it specifically says that it can handle 1875 watts of continuously load.  We are running 1 EVGA 850 watt ATX PSU and 1 750 Watt HP server PSU off this, both PSU's are running at around 1/2 capacity.

The first obvious response to this is 'Duh, you're running too much power through the damned thing'.  I've done my best to spread the power loads around and when I hook a wattmeter up to this strip, the combined pull of everything on it was 1380 watts.  So upon seeing that I redistributing things a bit and now it sits around 1180 watts which, as far as I know, should be more than enough breathing room for this power strip but after 30-60 minutes it will trip. 

Is it possible that the systems power usage spikes briefly?  How big of a role does the ambient temperature play in this as the room currently sits between 35-40 degrees celcius(all GPU's operate around 67 degrees as we have some big fans on this thing)

It's driving me bonkers so any help would be greatly appreciated
Raymond_B

Activity: 504
Merit: 71

Just Getting Started...

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2018, 09:27:43 PM

At what temp did you measure the total wattage? I've noticed all my PSUs and equipment go up in wattage use as temp goes up. I imagine it's that plus the breaker itself being affected as well. Interesting link below.

https://www.e-t-a.com/resources/technical_information/influence_of_temperature/

unc0nnected (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 22, 2018, 09:09:12 PM

That's a good question, I would guess that it's around 40 degrees celcius in there but you motivated me to move a thermostat into the room to monitor it.    One of thing things I was asking myself today is if the TDP of gpu's includes the power needed to spin the fans.  IE: If I have 30 gpu's at 100% load and their TDP is 115 watts, then we can hypothetically assume that their wattage is going to be 3450.  It's not going to be obviously but let's just make the math easy.  Now does that TDP include the fans at 100% or does that TDP not take into account the fans at all.. Will it be 3450 with all of the fans at zero or will be be 3450 with all of the fans at 100% or will it be somewhere in the middle?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: