Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 07:42:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: R9 280x HIS IceQ X2 Turbo - Heat Issue When Mining  (Read 1440 times)
Chris180Z (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 02:17:26 AM
Last edit: February 06, 2014, 03:04:11 AM by Chris180Z

I just got a 280x today. I have been playing BF3 on it for hours and it never once went above 66 deg C and the fan RPM never went above 1966 RPM, which is very nice, cool and quiet Smiley. Here is my card: http://www.hisdigital.com/un/product2-772.shtml

The problem is, when I try to mine on the card the fan becomes way to hot and way too loud. I instantly get tempatures of 86 deg C, and that was just 2-3 mins of mining, I have a feeling they would be in the 90's if I left the card to mine over night. The fan RPM goes to 3446 RPM and sound like a jet engine taking off.

I don't understand what the issue is. I have configured it according to guides online. I am using GUIMiner and these are my settings:

Thread concurrency: 8192 // Worksize: 256 // Vectors: 1 // Intensity: 13 // GPU threads: 2

I do get good speeds of just over 700 kh/s, but this heat and fan speed/noise is a serious problem and obviously I can not mine at this point.

Can anyone offer any help on this issue? I did a Google search but I can't find any similar issues for this card.

Any help appreciated. Thanks Smiley.
valkir
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 02:21:28 AM

watch  Grin

██     Please support sidehack with his new miner project Send to :

1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
satsumi

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 05:30:30 AM

Is the case closed or open? Mining is harder on the card than gaming; mining is designed to use it 100% all of the time. Gaming doesn't do that.

I have a 270X rather than a 280X, but even in an office with temperatures in the low 60s F and an open case, it still runs the fans at 4300 RPM (~84%) to stay below 75 C.

Set the fan to 85% and see how loud it is and what temperature it runs at. If it stabilizes below 80 C, it's ok. If it's too loud for you, then it's too loud for you and you won't be mining. In cgminer that's [G] [C] [F] [8] [5] [enter].
Chris180Z (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 05:42:37 AM

Thanks for the help guys. After doing research there is limited info on this card, but some information I found said to undervolt this card and it works. I undervoled using HIS iTurbo from 1.2v to 1.1v (and did not touch anything else) and it now will not go above 72 deg C. The strange this is, I did not loose any speeds. I am still mining at 700kh/s yet I now only run at 72 deg C and 50% fan speed, so it is a lot cooler and quieter.

Strange... Well, I am glad I got it sorted. It just means that I have to run iTurbo every single time windows starts (I set it to run automatically minimised). Would this not ruin the card with the software constantly changing the voltages every time windows loads? Is it possible to do safely in BIOS so it runs on that as default?
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 06:07:34 AM

I undervoled using HIS iTurbo from 1.2v to 1.1v (and did not touch anything else) and it now will not go above 72 deg C. The strange this is, I did not loose any speeds. I am still mining at 700kh/s yet I now only run at 72 deg C and 50% fan speed, so it is a lot cooler and quieter.

Is it possible to do safely in BIOS so it runs on that as default?

This is what you should be doing: Figuring out your best hashrate, and then undervolting to save power and keep temps down. Undervolting will not affect your hashrate at all (unless you undervolt too low, and your GPU crashes. You'd know if that happened Wink ).

Check out VBE7. It's a way to edit your GPU's BIOS with lower voltages, so it will always run at the new, lower voltages. We use this method because there's no way to undervolt in Linux, but it also works in Windows just as well, cuz it's done by the GPU BIOS, not any software that's running. I undervolted our GB 280x from 1.13 to 1.01V, and they run at <70C all the time.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: