Bitcoin Forum
May 18, 2024, 12:15:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Price hits $10,000 on bitfinex  (Read 5609 times)
TERA

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 09:19:52 AM

Some small trades are ticking through now.
cam02003

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2014, 09:59:58 AM

Have a bunch of money lend  Sad
Scary if a bunch of people default Shocked

edit: Trading looks like its back up tho
blueberry

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 10:51:36 AM

An announcement has been made by the Bitfinex Team in the main Bitfinex thread.

They are working on the issue.

Dear Customers

the situation is under control.
No money or coins are missing and the problem was due to some malicious trader trying to play with the LTC ticker price in order to take advantage on us.
We are now reversing all transactions that took place on our platform during the time when all got messy (approx 7 a.m. GMT).

Very few transactions (for a total of 2,000 btc) actually took place on Bitstamp, only limited to the BTC/USD pair (Bitstamp doesn't trade LTC) and they actually took place at a price that was around 750 usd, so no big deal.
We enabled the trading engine for a few minutes and then switched it off again to avoid those rats (sorry I cannot think of a better word in this moment) to shuffle things even more and to make our work more difficult.
We keep an eye on the price and we can always enable it in the next minutes whilst we reverse trades that took advantage of the abnormality should the price get volatile.

The whole operation will not take anyway more than one hour.

Thanks a lot for your understanding and we deeply apologize for the inconvenience

Giancarlo
Bitfinex Team   
Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 11:31:20 AM

An announcement has been made by the Bitfinex Team in the main Bitfinex thread.

They are working on the issue.

Dear Customers

the situation is under control.
No money or coins are missing and the problem was due to some malicious trader trying to play with the LTC ticker price in order to take advantage on us.
We are now reversing all transactions that took place on our platform during the time when all got messy (approx 7 a.m. GMT).

Very few transactions (for a total of 2,000 btc) actually took place on Bitstamp, only limited to the BTC/USD pair (Bitstamp doesn't trade LTC) and they actually took place at a price that was around 750 usd, so no big deal.
We enabled the trading engine for a few minutes and then switched it off again to avoid those rats (sorry I cannot think of a better word in this moment) to shuffle things even more and to make our work more difficult.
We keep an eye on the price and we can always enable it in the next minutes whilst we reverse trades that took advantage of the abnormality should the price get volatile.

The whole operation will not take anyway more than one hour.

Thanks a lot for your understanding and we deeply apologize for the inconvenience

Giancarlo
Bitfinex Team   

Too bad...My trade has been reversed. Wink
TERA

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 11:57:21 AM

The news sounds very to the point in trader terms. It almost sounds as if it is from somebody at this forum.
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2014, 12:22:49 PM

The news sounds very to the point in trader terms. It almost sounds as if it is from somebody at this forum.

Giancarlo is typically very to the point
MatTheCat

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 01:22:08 PM
Last edit: February 06, 2014, 02:25:03 PM by MatTheCat

Funny them admitting that their exchange is populated with 'rats'. I said that on this forum and got a very indignant reply from one of the exchange dev team. Of course, I did make it clear that I wasn't entirely sure if the rat's weren't indeed Bitfinex's own rats. Very serious allegations I was informed and then this....I bet some people are missing a whole lot of funds right now.

Damn, I am glad I listened to my gut and pulled my funds from there a few days ago....as a SHOTRER, I probably would have been one of the unlucky ones who got my entire capital wiped out and emptied into some rat's account by this rise to 10000 USD.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: