Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:27:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC-E Account containing 100 BITCOINS hacked!  (Read 2844 times)
Barrack Obama (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 05:10:49 AM
Last edit: February 06, 2014, 10:55:58 PM by Barrack Obama

Resolved!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Nathonas

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Knowledge is Power

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2014, 05:15:41 AM

Hello,

I have been longtime BTC-E trader. Recently, a ton of yahoo accounts have been hacked and it's all over the news.

I was one of them. I foolishly used the same password to login to my email that i used to register my btc-e account..

The hacker was able to get into my email assocaited with my btc-e account and changed my security questions and backup email for that account. He then hacked into my btc-e account and changed the login information.

BTC-E has a two day withdrawal lock once a password is changed, I have been trying to get in contact with BTC-E over the past 12 hours and recieved not one responce, despite the fact I have entered over 10 tickets.

I have told them I can give any information they need to verify I am who I say I am. Including verifying my bitcoin address where I had deposited the 100 Bitcoins from and all other deposits I have made on the site. I can give them recent message history, trade history, and im using my home IP where I have logged into my account the majority of times.

I am completely stumped as to why I have not received any word from them?

I've contacted the police and made a report, I informed them of the situation and they opened a case file.
They told me to get in contact with Btc-e, which I have been trying to frantically all day and got not one word from them...

I advise all of you not to deposit anything into the site until this is resolved. I have been a BTC-E user for years and traded hundreds of bitcoins through the site and never would expect to be ignored from btc-e support.

Every method of contact I have tried, twitter, email, and made a ton of tickets.
I even messaged them on there account here, no word.

BTC-E, if your reading this, PLEASE DO NOT ALLOW ANY WITHDRAWS FROM MY ACCOUNT AND GET IN CONTACT WITH ME ASAP!!!

You hold 100 BTC on an exchange and don't use Google authenticator? That's like asking to get robbed.

Also, what makes you think the cops give a shit? Bitcoin is a decentralized currency and this is one of the downsides - the government can't control it, which also means they can't regulate it. Unless bitcoin is directly linked to something criminal (like selling drugs - aka Silk Road) law enforcement could care less.

I hope you get your money back but you really need to start using different (and sophisticated) passwords for different accounts and Google authenticator is a must.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
coastermonger

Activity: 367

Find me at Bitrated

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 05:17:32 AM

I foolishly used the same password to login to my email that i used to register my btc-e account..

Roll Eyes ouch man, just ouch.

This looks like it's a different situation than normal, if your account hasn't yet been drained, then perhaps BTC-e can still do something to lock it down.  Good luck.

Bitrated user: Rees.
btcmania

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2014, 05:27:18 AM

Support may take days to get back to you. Shoot a message to "paulgr" or "bumface" or "koolio" or all three and ask them if they can lock your account. This would involve making a new account. In the meantime contact Hotmail (I assume) and they will ask you some questions to help get your account back (eg. what other folders did you have, contacts, subjects of emails).

Hi.
Sipora

Activity: 27

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 05:27:34 AM

I also got robbed hundreds of litecoin for no apparent reasons on BTC-E. Coins withdrawn without any confirmation to my email AND I have 2 factor security too. All theyve given me is my logins and my IP. Maybe we could work together in this case. I feel your pain and your loss
AltorXP

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 05:34:42 AM

I also got robbed hundreds of litecoin for no apparent reasons on BTC-E. Coins withdrawn without any confirmation to my email AND I have 2 factor security too. All theyve given me is my logins and my IP. Maybe we could work together in this case. I feel your pain and your loss

Shows just how trustworth exchanges are when it comes to holding your coins. Large withdrawals should only be allowed from the IP used to make the account....
Anyone making a withdrawal that large wouldn't do it from a different location
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 05:38:17 AM

Why would you even hold 100 btc online?

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
Barrack Obama (OP)

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 05:38:50 AM
Last edit: February 06, 2014, 08:44:02 AM by Barrack Obama

How long did it take you to get a response from your tickets?

It's been 12 hours since and i'm absolutely shocked to not receive even a word from them yet. I've traded hundreds of bitcoins threw there site in past years I'm shocked how little they care.

Look's very suspicious to me.

daserpent1

Activity: 435

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 06:00:31 AM

Did  you try PMing koolio? or bumface? Koolio is on this forum too. PM them asap.
BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 06:09:53 AM

Hopefully you get things resolved.  BTW from what I understand Yahoo itself wasnt hacked, criminals had passwords from another breach from an unknown site and they used those passwords on yahoo.  ie, btc-e and yahoo aren't the only sites you've been resuing your password at.

This should be a good lesson to others:

1) don't reuse passwords on multiple sites

2) use  2FA

3) be careful using any website/business that takes/holds your money is very closed and secreative about who they are,  if/when you run into a problem you will quickly realize how hard it is dealing with more anonymous businesses.

4) don't store large sums of money online when there's no insurance on that money

Let us know how things work out for you, hopefully everything ends up being ok!

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
Barrack Obama (OP)

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 06:16:22 AM

Did  you try PMing koolio? or bumface? Koolio is on this forum too. PM them asap.

Yes I have PM'd them all.
MsCollec
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 06:29:59 AM

Good-luck recovering your btc
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2014, 07:03:01 AM

I do hope BTC-E will follow up on the support tickets and lock the account in time, before the coins are withdrawn.
texasaggie

Activity: 21

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 07:11:33 AM

Now CEX.io is a good exchange with excellent security for exchanging LTC and NMC for BTC without charging fees, once in BTC you can easily exchange it for USD with Coinbase.  I was happy to see their adoption of being an exchange of LTC for BTC at market rates.

CEX.io - Bitcoin Commodity Exchange

electerium

Activity: 179
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 07:17:48 AM

let's recap OP's mistakes to teach us all how not to arrive to his dilemma

Stupidly insurmountable and unforgivable
- no 2FA on btce
- no 2FA on yahoo mail
- keeping substantial amounts of coin on an arbitrage/trading site

plain stupidity and asking to be compromised
- use same email and pass for yahoo email and btc e
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 07:46:10 AM

I was one of them. I foolishly used the same password to login to my email that i used to register my btc-e account..

This was one of the most basic precautions. Now the money is lost and nothing can be done.  Angry

Still... why did you stored that much amount in the BTC-E account?
farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 07:54:41 AM

Good luck, I would not be surprised if BTC-E clears your account now that they know it may have been hacked. They banned my brothers account with 40 LTC in it, and stole them.
Sonny

Activity: 868

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 09:49:08 AM

Sad to hear your loss.  Sad

But seriously, you should never store that large amount of btc on an exchange account, and you shoudn't reuse your passwords on those important sites.
rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 10:45:23 AM

u wont get your BTC back man ....
awas

Activity: 378

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 02:13:30 PM

I had the same problem, I contacted btc-e.support on skype. I was able to get my account through their ticket system. Then on skype, he asked if i got my account back, It seemed like a scammer to me at first, asking to change my email to something they provide but then after i was rude he banned my ip and my account.
Sipora

Activity: 27

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 04:17:32 PM

How long did it take you to get a response from your tickets?

It's been 12 hours since and i'm absolutely shocked to not receive even a word from them yet. I've traded hundreds of bitcoins threw there site in past years I'm shocked how little they care.

Look's very suspicious to me.

Took them almost a week for them to give me a list of my log ins. Useless.
TheChosenOne

Activity: 14

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 01:10:37 AM

I foolishly used the same password to login to my email that i used to register my btc-e account..

HAHAHAHAHAHA just HAHAHHAHAAHHA ROFL ROFL
I'm having tears in my eyes. n1. You just made my day.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: