Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:48:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: If Bitcoin is so bad, then why do people feel the need to attack it so much?  (Read 1042 times)
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2014, 07:50:52 AM

We've all heard the ridiculous arguments arguments against Bitcoin, it's pissed some of us off and made us question people we'd normally respect, but there's one thing I bet not many Bitcoin users have done and that is question why exactly are people quite blatantly trying to attack the idea of Bitcoin so much? It actually reminds me a lot of a daily show episode I once saw where Fox News went on overdrive attacking Obamacare and Jon Stewart quite rightly pointed out that there were reasons that Obamacare was a bad thing but why did Fox feel the need to make up such bullshit in order to attack it? It definitely doesn't make sense because surely if a system is flawed and going to break anyway the sensible thing to do would be to stay back and let it implode on it's own rather than rush it's demise.

I feel the same way about Bitcoin, for those of us who actually at least have done the research, there are issues to be had with Bitcoin despite it being a fantastic piece of programming but that's why we have open source and altcoins so we can find out what works best, If Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies are really that bad though, why do opponents of it not only attack it on their own private networks and channels but feel the need to literally come over here and lecture us about what a piss poor thing Bitcoin is?

The majority of us on these boards know exactly what we're getting into, we know the risks and we already know we're losing money, I've given up trying to understand how these people think so I won't bother trying to figure out their logic behind attacking an open source currency but it is making me question them the more angry and incoherent they get.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 08:04:17 AM

I think you know the answer to that.  Bitcoin is very threatening to the powers that be. 
By the way it's not for the same reason that people attack Obamacare, which truly is bad :-)

AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 08:15:44 AM

...why exactly are people quite blatantly trying to attack the idea of Bitcoin so much?

...It definitely doesn't make sense because surely if a system is flawed and going to break anyway the sensible thing to do would be to stay back and let it implode on it's own rather than rush it's demise.

Because we (I) see that as wonderful as the ideal is, Bitcoin's flaws could mean it can be much worse than cash and put all of us (no choice for anyone any more) into a very severe slavery system.

we have open source and altcoins so we can find out what works best

Agreed.

If Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies are really that bad though, why do opponents of it not only attack it on their own private networks and channels but feel the need to literally come over here and lecture us about what a piss poor thing Bitcoin is?

This community is the Bitcoin ecosystem which includes all altcoins, not just Bitcoin's protocol. We have a right to be here too.

The discourse adds more veracity to the truth.

Since our ideal is all about truth, then what are you afraid of?

the more angry and incoherent they get.

Who is angry? Seems like it is the Bitards who don't like our arguments and logic.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 08:32:34 AM

Attacks come in the form of fear mongering sometimes.

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 09:16:39 AM

People have always gotten emotional, nationalistic, patriotic even over their money.

National and civil wars have been fought over what money to use. Reason and logic are just not going to work with some people. It will be greed and convenience (sloth) for them only.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 09:23:21 AM

Fear. Uncertainty. Doubt.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Duomo

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 09:27:29 AM

Well an a Bitcoin user and a firm supporter of this community, we all understand the risks involved that we can potentially lose money and many of us are willing to take that risk. The american media has the opportunity in essence to influence all matters concerning financial investments and can even create a environment that creates scared users. Yes bitcoin can you be used in negative ways but it can be used in more positive ways. Creating panic causes people to back out and say "this is too much for me" and just over all over it. Bitcoin is a threat to all centralized fiat currency issued by the government and the best part is their is no one person pulling the strings.
AnonyMint

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 09:38:05 AM
Last edit: March 06, 2014, 09:55:06 AM by AnonyMint

Well an a Bitcoin user and a firm supporter of this community, we all understand the risks involved that we can potentially lose money and many of us are willing to take that risk.

Could you re-read my post upthread. I am not concerned about your personal decisions.

The american media has the opportunity in essence to influence all matters concerning financial investments and can even create a environment that creates scared users.

There you naive Bitards (Bitnaives doesn't sound as good) go getting fooled by the Hegelian dialectic. You know when you enter the car dealer (at least in USA), one saleman pretends to be your friend and is the "wolf in sheepskin" and the other pretends to be the bad guy who wants to rip you off. They create a conflict to make you think the good guy is fighting for you against the bad guy, but in reality they're both ripping you off. After you've signed the loan documents, you later realize you've like fucking overpaid by $3000 after all the shit is included that you naively agreed to.

Stop this USA vs Europe crap. This Democrats vs. Republicans crap. The Pirate Party vs Social Democrats, etc.. These are heads of the same monster.

Yes bitcoin can you be used in negative ways but it can be used in more positive ways.

There is a theory that it could also be used to create a world-wide slavery system where all cash is gone.

Creating panic causes people to back out and say "this is too much for me" and just over all over it.

And what is wrong with that? You need groupthink?

Anything that needs cheerleaders is always the property of the government. Don't forget that fact.

Also I see the BTC price is going up not down.

And they will always come back. The lure of Bitcoin is too irresistible.

Bitcoin is a threat to all centralized fiat currency issued by the government and the best part is their is no one person pulling the strings.

This is ignorant of the facts.

Mining is already controlled by a few pools. Exchanges are controlled by a few players. Most of the coins are controlled by a few big players beholden to the government. Etc.

Government (and banksters) would love for a pseudonymous digitally tracked public ledger to replace the very anonymous physical cash.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
mdotstrange

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 09:53:02 AM

The way I look at it- Bitcoin is showing people that the world could be changed for the better- Instead of being excited by that possibility some people reject it and attack it because they are afraid of change.

The powers that be enforce a way of doing things- the status quo- people subscribe to and donate their lives to the status quo-

Bitcoin threatens the status quo- they react accordingly.
AnonyMint

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 10:18:11 AM

mdotstrange, I want more change than Bitcoin offers, not less.

S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 11:06:41 AM

Fear. Uncertainty. Doubt.

That!
AnonyMint

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 11:15:07 AM

Anything that needs cheerleaders is always the property of the government. Don't forget that fact.

Evidence is the internet didn't need cheerleaders. It grew viral without any well organized central point of promotion.

Ekaros

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 11:25:16 AM

To save a few idiots?

It's like going against creationism or religion, work for good.

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 11:29:28 AM

Evidence is the internet didn't need cheerleaders. It grew viral without any well organized central point of promotion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8YO5icNGn0

bitcoiner49er

Activity: 457
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 02:52:03 PM

Envy.

Homo doctus is se semper divitias habet
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: