Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 05:47:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitfinex hit a new record in LTC/BTC  (Read 1114 times)
silverston (OP)

Activity: 952
Merit: 502

SAPG Pre-Sale Live on Uniswap!

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 10:05:54 AM

No comments  Grin

█████     ████████████████████
█████     ████████████████████
█████                    █████
█████     ██████████     █████
████████████████████     █████
████████████████████     █████
.SWAAP. ▄▄▄▄▄██    ▄▄
 █       ▄▄▀▀▀
 █     ▄▀
▄▄▄   █  ▄▄
▀▀███▄   █▀
██▄███  ▀▀
▄▄▀███  ▀▀▀▀██
▀▀▄███  ▀█
███▀▀ ▄  ██
      ▀▄
 █      ▀▄▄
 █         ▀██
 ▀▀▀▀▀██
⟩⟩.
..For Individuals & Traders..
..For Businesses...................
..For Financial Institutions..
⟩⟩.
Pre-Sale
LIVE on
Uniswap
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
██████████  ██  ████████████
████████         ▀██████████
██████████  ████▄  █████████
██████████  ████▀  █████████
██████████          ▀███████
██████████  ███████  ███████
████████▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄███████
████████▄▄  ▄▄  ▄▄▄█████████
██████████▄▄██▄▄████████████
████▀▀▀████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████
████   ████             ████
████   ██████████████   ████
████   ████      ████   ████
████             ████   ████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄████
magicmexican

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 10:17:29 AM

A whale trading on the inside info for sure
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 11:58:53 AM

no, bitfinex screwup. there's a reason i do most of my trading on bitstamp lately, instead of going through bitfinex.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
atc1

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 12:02:34 PM

no, bitfinex screwup. there's a reason i do most of my trading on bitstamp lately, instead of going through bitfinex.

This is probably what happened.

TERA

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 12:09:32 PM

This is why I never use their trigger orders.
MatTheCat

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 12:22:08 PM

Yeah, I wonder how many shorts got their positions totally wiped out on the back of this 'bug' and I wonder how long it will take Bitfinex to give people their money back.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 06:26:09 PM

Yeah, I wonder how many shorts got their positions totally wiped out on the back of this 'bug' and I wonder how long it will take Bitfinex to give people their money back.

Support has confirmed in the service discussion thread that any trades that will be rolled back have been rolled back. I personally pulled all my stops when I noticed the order book fucking up, hours before the massive fraudulent orders started pushing through. I'd be fucking pissed right now otherwise. I can't complain, I made a few thousand bucks in a few seconds. But I suspect there are many who have a right to complain. This makes leaving standing stops on Bitfinex pretty fucking iffy.
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 09:09:01 PM

Support has confirmed in the service discussion thread that any trades that will be rolled back have been rolled back. I personally pulled all my stops when I noticed the order book fucking up, hours before the massive fraudulent orders started pushing through. I'd be fucking pissed right now otherwise. I can't complain, I made a few thousand bucks in a few seconds. But I suspect there are many who have a right to complain. This makes leaving standing stops on Bitfinex pretty fucking iffy.

I stopped trading on bitfinex (except for some toy amounts) a while ago, so I'm only peripherally following this... can you tell me if there were any *actual* losses incurred to users after the rollback, or are the "losses" all in the form of "missed profits"? (makes some difference, IMO)

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 09:21:58 PM

I stopped trading on bitfinex (except for some toy amounts) a while ago, so I'm only peripherally following this... can you tell me if there were any *actual* losses incurred to users after the rollback, or are the "losses" all in the form of "missed profits"? (makes some difference, IMO)

To be honest, I have no idea how this works. I know that it is clear that some traders -- including myself -- profited nicely, and had trades trigger well below the bottom on Bitstamp, and I don't know who incurred the losses (traders or Bitfinex). My guess is both. They did not roll back all transactions to the start of the bug, which means that trades that executed well outside of Bitstamp's range (up to $829 and down to $678) may have stuck. I imagine many stops were triggered.

The fact that Bitfinex appears to have rolled back transactions based on an arbitrary price range that they set (e.g. below $720 or below $700), tells me that people incurred real losses. Traders holding longs with stop losses below $750 lost. Traders holding shorts with stop losses above $790 lost.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: