Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 07:19:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: iPhone 5 phones destroyed in protest against Apple's anti-Bitcoin actions  (Read 9750 times)
rotalumis (OP)

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 03:59:41 PM
Last edit: February 06, 2014, 09:12:55 PM by rotalumis

In protest against Apple's anti-Bitcoin stance and their banning of Blockchain, the last bitcoin wallet app in the app store, an anonymous redditor is buying brand new Nexus 5 phones for people who destroy their iPhone 5.

To be clear, this offer is now closed.

Here's the reddit post, made in the same (potentially controversial) publicity-seeking spirit of "Will it Blend?": For every 100 upvotes this post receives, I will gift someone a Nexus 5 for a video of them smashing their iPhone

Update: OP was banned from reddit and his post deleted, so here are OP's terms and conditions uploaded to PasteBin.

Redditor NerdFighterSean (creator of the BitcoinTip Bot) is holding 2.56 BTC as escrow until the deal completes.

And here is the carnage:

First iPhone 5 32GB smashed on YouTube [2:39], and Nexus 5 shipment confirmation.

iPhone 5 death by machete[3:12], and OP and iPhone Destroyer #2 agree on shipment details.

And another iPhone 5 goes all spacey before it dies. [1:43]

This iPhone 5 32GB gets it's lights turned off pretty good. [1:04]

The screen protector doesn't save this one.[1:48], and proof of shipment.

And for the grand finale, it looks like someone is getting ready to shoot their iPhone 4 with a rifle. Update 2: Here's the video.

I suppose this stunt won't break Apple's back, but I'm sure it is sending a clear message.

Update 3: I'm not publicly endorsing this project at this point simply because I was just told about it and haven't looked into it yet, but these guys are working on an HTML5 wallet called CoinPunk that will work on any phone, including iPhones. They are currently fundraising on indiegogo and accept crypto, so you might want to take a look and support the project if you like it.

Update 4: If you're handy with a video editor, annoyed at Apple and want to compete for the chance to win some BTC, look at this:
There's also a "Think Different About Bitcoin" video re-edit contest I'm holding on Reddit. We've already had several people pledge to donate to the winner, with Nic Cary (CEO of Blockchain.info) pledging .5 BTC himself!

Here's the link: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1x6cpd/think_different_about_bitcoin_contest_to_reedit/

BitWinner

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 04:02:58 PM

Looks like fun! I've been meaning to get rid of my iPhone 4...

I know the offer's over, but I'm definitely buying something from someone else than Apple for my next phone.
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2014, 04:12:10 PM

Damn Reddit banned him. Stupid Apple threatened them. Burn in Hell Apple.

keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 04:26:43 PM

Wow, now you aren't even allowed to break the phone that you paid for? I use an iphone 5 and i wouldnt purposely break it, but if thats what you want to do, then you should be free to do so..
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2014, 04:31:05 PM

Wow, now you aren't even allowed to break the phone that you paid for? I use an iphone 5 and i wouldnt purposely break it, but if thats what you want to do, then you should be free to do so..

Wrong, not only does the phone remain their property, you also become their property.

augustocroppo
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 05:34:56 PM

I suppose this stunt won't break Apple's back, but I'm sure it is sending a clear message.

The only message which is being sent is that Bitcoin had attracted a bunch of fanatical idiots which could care less for the money wasted in the stunt. That will give more and more reasons to Apple distance itself from anything related to Bitcoin. I am sure some important decision making people inside Apple will even interpret that as attempt of financial terrorism.
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 05:46:04 PM

Does anyone know why this thread was pulled from Reddit? From the comments, it sounds like it had 6000 up-votes at one point... 

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
seafarer124

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 05:48:49 PM

Relevant reading below.

http://blog.blockchain.info/2014/02/06/blockchain-response-to-apple/
Jacko

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 05:51:51 PM

There is a petition somewhere on the forum at change.org.

Link to the petition is below

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/apple-allow-bitcoin-wallets-on-the-iphone?share_id=mayNzzmzsF&utm_campaign=signature_receipt&utm_medium=email&utm_source=share_petition

Just in case anyone wants it.
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 05:52:01 PM

The only message which is being sent is that Bitcoin had attracted a bunch of fanatical idiots which could care less for the money wasted in the stunt. That will give more and more reasons to Apple distance itself from anything related to Bitcoin. I am sure some important decision making people inside Apple will even interpret that as attempt of financial terrorism.

I think it's fucking hilarious. Anyone taking it seriously (from either side) needs to relax more! Financial terrorism... LOL! Smiley

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 05:53:19 PM

I wonder why is it so hard to just NOT BUY APPLE PRODUCTS  Undecided

Destroy iphones? Is this a joke? Why don't you just buy something else? Something better?  Undecided It looks like someone is pointing a gun to you and ordering you "buy apple products"

financial terrorism
Yeah sure now breaking a phone is terrorism.  Roll Eyes

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 05:54:05 PM

Someone should make an image saying "bitcoin app removed from apple app store - android users not affected"

Peter R
Legendary

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 05:55:14 PM

I think it's fucking hilarious. Anyone taking it seriously (from either side) needs to relax more! Financial terrorism... LOL! Smiley

+1

boumalo
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2014, 05:58:21 PM

Google seems more inclined to offer support&technology for innovators than Apple, I am using Android and I am probably not coming back to Iphone anytime soon

Peter R
Legendary

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 05:58:49 PM

Does anyone know why this thread was pulled from Reddit? From the comments, it sounds like it had 6000 up-votes at one point... 

BTW: The thread was pulled from Reddit because offering something (an Android phone) in exchange for upvotes is a violation of the Reddit terms and conditions: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1x6kx9/where_did_the_post_calling_to_destroy_iphones_in/

bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2014, 06:01:41 PM

Reddit is a piece of shit

ThickAsThieves

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 06:05:30 PM

Is there a spreadsheet you can direct me to that lists what personal items I need to smash in order to get my way in various situations?

For example:

What do I smash to get out of cleaning my room ?

What do I smash when I wreck my car (by mistake) ?

Most importantly, what personal item do I smash when smashing personal items doesn't work ?
juju

Activity: 381
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 06:08:35 PM

Most importantly, what personal item do I smash when smashing personal items doesn't work ?

Other peoples personal items  Cheesy
augustocroppo
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 06:15:59 PM

I am relaxed!

Cheesy

But that do not change the fact that such stunt is not going to convince a company like Apple to comply with everything a bunch of fanatical idiots require.
whtchocla7e

Activity: 392
Merit: 116

Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 06:18:38 PM

How noble, standing up for your ideals... but don't destroy your phone, send it to me instead and I'll destroy it for you.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▃▅▆█ L E A D █▆▅▃▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
World's Simplest and Safest Decentralized Cryptocurrency Wallet!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ • STORE • SEND • SPEND • SWAP • STAKE • ▬▬▬▬▬▬
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: