Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:37:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Silk Road  (Read 7834 times)
CliffordM (OP)

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 21, 2011, 11:10:34 PM

Is there any jurisdiction in which it's illegal to access the Silk Road?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Sock Puppet

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 05:58:44 AM

Certainly.  Speech isn't free everywhere.

Where are you?
CliffordM (OP)

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 06:55:53 PM

United Kingdom -- reasonably free here (most of the time!) I think...
TheHarbinger

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Why is it so damn hot in here?

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 08:28:02 PM

The nifty thing about Silk Road is that it can only be accessed through the Tor network.  While it doesn't make tracking your IP/Location impossible, it sure makes it a hell of a lot lot harder (and more expensive) than most authorities are willing to deal with to bust someone over.

12Um6jfDE7q6crm1s6tSksMvda8s1hZ3Vj
P4man

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 08:41:15 PM

In most countries accessing the site wouldnt be illegal. Purchasing and owning what you typically buy there,  probably is tho.

steak-knife

Activity: 8

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 10:16:22 PM

I've never heard of anyone being arrested in the UK for only looking at a drug dealer. I presume looking at Silk Road is perfectly legal if you're not buying anything.
Biggin92

Activity: 2

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 02:58:44 PM

It doesn't seem to me like it would be a problem at all. The way the tor network is designed is pretty brilliant. Just recently stumbled upon it myself, was pretty impressed.
badger4life

Activity: 14

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 04:52:23 PM

So as far as computer applications go, just using Silk Road is reasonably safe?  Any hacking issues that someone needs to worry about just from installing the software?
P4man

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 05:40:01 PM

You dont install any "silk road" software. All you need is tor (/vidalia/torbutton). These apps are all opensource and in that sense, perfectly safe.

badger4life

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 05:52:00 PM

Anyone ever use the tor functionality in Vuse?  Is it straight forward or are there other suggestions for a client?
P4man

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 05:59:39 PM

No idea about vuse, just use the official client:
https://www.torproject.org/

Feel free to download one of the bundles which comes with its own firefox browser for tor, or download tor, vidalia (GUI interface for Tor) and the torbutton extension and use your existing firefox and toggle with that button between regular and tor browsing. You can find it all on that site.

badger4life

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 07:15:30 PM

Thanks for the info P4man. 

Not too sure that I have a use for installing a client, but it might be worth it just to see what it's like.  It's still a very abstract thing in my mind right now.  Until I see what the client interface and "silk road" network look like all I can think of is a web browser on the internet.  I get that the internet is what's used and different clients can have different looks to them (I assume so anyway), but I wonder things like... is there a way to search for stuff and can you link in and out of normal network sites...?
P4man

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 07:25:03 PM

Thanks for the info P4man. 

Not too sure that I have a use for installing a client, but it might be worth it just to see what it's like.  It's still a very abstract thing in my mind right now.  Until I see what the client interface and "silk road" network look like all I can think of is a web browser on the internet. 

Thats precisely what it is. I only visited it for the first yesterday as I was curious myself. its just a (very, very basic) website. After you installed tor and torbutton, it opens -rather slowly- in your browser, just like any other website, it just has a weird looking address.

I get that the internet is what's used and different clients can have different looks to them (I assume so anyway), but I wonder things like... is there a way to search for stuff and can you link in and out of normal network sites...?

Sure you can link. But you can only access silk road if you have Tor running and your webbrowser is configured for tor (ie, you pressed the TorButton). In that mode you can visit any other website you want, but traffic will be routed over tor, meaning its slow and anonymous. But otherwise its the same internet you browse every day.

bitwiser

Activity: 5

View Profile
September 24, 2011, 01:34:21 PM

Is there any jurisdiction in which it's illegal to access the Silk Road?

Whilst accessing the site itself isn't likely to be an offence, buying some of the goods on there definitely
is of course. As far as I'm aware, no country has yet made an offence to actually access the website,
but that might happen before long if the powers-that-be are unable to find ways to close it down.
fivebells

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 24, 2011, 01:53:53 PM
Last edit: September 24, 2011, 02:04:23 PM by fivebells

...it might be worth it just to see what it's like.
 Definitely worth the trouble to take a look.  It is like stumbling into the marketplace in a Hollywood libertarian dystopia.  Oh, and don't forget to take a look at the forum there.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
September 25, 2011, 12:44:13 AM

Btw, keep in mind that with TOR, when you access regular websites (or anything else in the internet) the exit nodes can see pretty much the exactly same thing someone with a device between your computer and the internet cable in the wall can.

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
P4man

View Profile
September 25, 2011, 07:50:08 AM

Which is not very different than without tor, except that the exit nodes are tor users, rather than companies/ISPs or possibly hackers listening in. If you dont use HTTPS or other encryption, consider everything you browse and send public, with or without tor. All tor does is anonymise.

TiagoTiago

View Profile
September 25, 2011, 09:51:11 PM

It only anonymises the source IP, anything else is kept as anonymous or unanonymous as without TOR.

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
P4man

View Profile
September 25, 2011, 10:19:23 PM

It only anonymises the source IP, anything else is kept as anonymous or unanonymous as without TOR.

And so  it "only" anonymises  you as a user. And yes people should be aware its not a substitute for encryption to prevent eavesdropping, thats no different than when not using tor, but tor does exactly what it claims to do: hide your identity (not your traffic).

TiagoTiago

View Profile
September 25, 2011, 10:26:13 PM

It doesn't hide your identity if it is revealed thru your traffic.

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: