Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 10:08:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: what would happen to bitcoin if...  (Read 1999 times)
BitMagic

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 04:44:09 AM

my main thoughts were would it survive and thrive? or die out because the speculation market is gone.

Some of us are here to get away from the control that comes with fiat. I would go so far as to assume that some of the more hardcore Bitcoin proponents feel this way. If someone managed to control Bitcoin (which I see as unlikely at this point), many of those hardcore proponents would be gone the next day.

You do realize that the "control scheme" you're so worried about is actually completely automated in Bitcoin, and the very reason why gold is no longer used as a currency: unmanaged money supply will never be stable, and instability makes for unusable currency.

Please give me your money, because I am a shameless libertarian elite who deserves your money more than you do: 9Hkao8U82WWDp6SQGn4k7ad9gT1LWeL5s3
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dsp

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 05:38:08 AM

It's been a while since I coded anything, let me take a whack

Code:
Load "*",8,1
5 Let a = 0
6 a=a+1
10 Print HELLO
20 Print How much are Bitcoins?
Rem 30 Input 8-8
40 Print Bitcoins are a$ 4,4
50 Goto 6

It may need a few tweaks.

It's hard to answer your question though (as what would happen) because I'm not even sure -how- that would happen, which would alter things, on top of getting enough clients to switch over to the fiat-pinned version.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 06:09:52 AM

Bitcoin can certainly not be marketed as a brand, for there is no profitability in doing so.

but bitcoin.com can be, along with many other bitcoin-related brands that will surely turn a profit.

Possibly. I am optimistic about bitcoin, but I'm not sure that the public will wake up and start using the smart idea anytime soon. We're still using fossil fuel, Windows, and trickle-down economics. Bitcoin has a place as a global niche currency for sure, but it's going to be as hard to sell to Americans as the Metric System.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 06:11:15 AM

it's going to be as hard to sell to Americans as the Metric System.

funny you word it like that, given Americans make up the bulk of the current bitcoin community.
Bigpiggy01

Activity: 1138
Merit: 523

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2011, 07:18:59 AM

in the second example, china made it totally illegal to trade at a different rate, and i for one wouldn't want to get caught doing anything illegal in china.

I live here and even have bankers refer me to black market brokers who actually operate within the bank Grin In China things are only illegal of you get caught when someone is having a bad day Grin

▄▄▄█
              ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
      ▄▄█████████████████▀  ▄█
   ▄██████████████████▀ ▄▄██▀
  ███████████████▀▀  ▄▄█▀▀
 ███████████▀▀▀     ▀▀
 ██████▀▀   ▄    █
 ███▀  ▄▄████   ▐█
 █▀   ▄████▀   ▄█▌
      ▀▀▀    ▄██▌
▐▄ ▀█▄▄  ▄▄████▀
██▀  ▀▀█████▀▀
▐▌
RAPTOREUM
  TOKENIZING THE WORLD!
  ██▀
▐▌
▐║
▐║
▐▌
██▄
[ POW Algorithm: GhostRider    Anti-FPGA/ASIC ]
Assets/Tokens Masternodes Smart Contracts

.51% / Double Spend Protection, Instant Speed, Private Send.
▀██
▐▌
║▌
║▌
▐▌
▄██
█▀

█▄
◈ ──  SOCIAL MEDIA ─── ◈
Reddit Telegram Discord
Twitter  Medium GitHub
▀█
  █
  █
  █
  █
  █
▄█
Minsc

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 07:44:17 AM

In China things are only illegal of you get caught when someone is having a bad day Grin

1DcXvfJdeJch9uptKopte5XQarTtj5ZjpL
Jixtreme

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 01:50:27 PM

but it's going to be as hard to sell to Americans as the Metric System.

LOL.

Two types of Americans will cling to USD: 1) political/government types who will equate Bitcoin to domestic terrorism. 2) Idiots who fall for the crap that political/government types say.

Unfortunately, that makes up about 80% of our populace or more.

I prefer the metic system, BTW, but I'm a Physics grad, so I suppose that's not too much of a stretch.
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 02:33:35 PM

Some of us are here to get away from the control that comes with fiat. I would go so far as to assume that some of the more hardcore Bitcoin proponents feel this way. If someone managed to control Bitcoin (which I see as unlikely at this point), many of those hardcore proponents would be gone the next day.

This. Bitcoin controlled by US money supply, directly linked to the Dollar? We already have that, it's called name your bank / Dwolla / PayPal / asdf.

That is not Bitcoin. It functions only through banks, needs no p2p network whatsoever, where's the point?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: