Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 05:15:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to sync the Bitcoin Core wallet where I've moved the 'blockchain' folder  (Read 139 times)
Fakhoury (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1027

Permabull Bitcoin Investor

View Profile
June 23, 2018, 12:50:15 AM

Hey all,

So, I've Bitcoin Core 0.14.2 on my SSD single partition and everything was working well.

Now the capacity of SSD can't handle the blockchain anymore and I've a backup of the complete 'blocks', 'chainstate' ..... etc. folders and files on my other connected HDD.

Since I've more free space now on my HDD, I want to program the Bitcoin Core wallet to continue syncing the blockchain from the backup till I reach the recent blocks.

How can I do that ?

Thanks in advance  Smiley

Quote from:  Satoshi Nakamoto
Feb. 14, 2010: I’m sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume.
nc50lc
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 5614

Self-proclaimed Genius

View Profile
June 23, 2018, 05:14:11 AM
Last edit: June 23, 2018, 06:34:23 AM by nc50lc

Using Windows?
If yes, create a shortcut from the Bitcoin-qt.exe then add -datadir=(your preferred location) to the target file.
Example: "C:\Users\(username)\Desktop\bitcoin-qt.exe" -datadir=E:\BitcoinData

Then use that shortcut to access bitcoin-qt with the new data directory.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 2457

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2018, 10:05:43 AM

I move various blockchain and wallet combinations in and out of core. If a directory isn't connected, then core gives me a prompt and allows me to select the directory to use. If you rename the old directory, then you should get a prompt, and you can select the new directory from the pull down menu.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1252

View Profile
June 23, 2018, 03:34:46 PM

Remember that you can just go pruned mode (if you understand and trust the tradeoffs of running a pruned mode and are ok with that) and continue enjoying the extra speed of an SSD and have the Bitcoin Core software as a wallet without taking massive space. After I tried SSD, I just can't go back to running a full node with HDD, it's too slow. Also the high i/o activity on HDDs from running a full node takes a big toll on it, I wonder if it decreases it's long term health. Thankfully 2TB SSD are becoming really affordable these days and must last for a while.

If you are interested:

https://bitcoin.org/en/full-node#reduce-storage

Afaik (never ran a pruned node) if you are running a pruned node and for some reason it blows up then you'll need to download from scratch so keeping a full node on the HDD may also be a good idea for a backup.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: