Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:16:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this a security issue? Massive worker un & pw list found through google ...  (Read 4005 times)
iamzill

Activity: 677
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 01:24:07 AM

That was part of our old database.

I have no idea why that information was there and I plan on figuring out which idiot from my team did that.

I am in the process of emailing all the affected users to let them know.

Very bad security practice to leave the accounts passwords unencrypted, i hope your not the coder for that site!

Would advise all users to get their miners away from there ASAP

A. We had to keep the WORKER passwords unencrypted so that users could see them and edit them more easily.

B. This is our OLD database on the OLD site. We have since completely rewritten the site's code and it doesn't even use mysql anymore.

C. This happened because one of the guys on the team was doing some debugging and like an idiot did not secure his testing site.

Even so, why have them saved as plain text at all? you can still encyrpt with base64 and a salt code that is kept hidden
They probably thought worker passwords wasn't "important" enough.

They aren't "important", they are a mere formality.
And yet several people already had their email account compromised.

The lesson here is that every password the user types is important, because when you have a million users there is at least one dumb-ass who use his PIN number as his password everywhere.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hollajandro

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 02:45:39 AM

I have no idea why that information was there and I plan on figuring out which idiot from my team did that.

Very bad security practice to leave the accounts passwords unencrypted, i hope your not the coder for that site!

A. We had to keep the WORKER passwords unencrypted so that users could see them and edit them more easily.

B. This is our OLD database on the OLD site. We have since completely rewritten the site's code and it doesn't even use mysql anymore.

C. This happened because one of the guys on the team was doing some debugging and like an idiot did not secure his testing site.

Even so, why have them saved as plain text at all? you can still encyrpt with base64 and a salt code that is kept hidden

The lesson here is that every password the user types is important, because when you have a million users there is at least one dumb-ass who use his PIN number as his password everywhere.

I'm pretty sure that responsibility lies with the user themselves. After all, if you use the same key for your car, house, boat, storage unit, etc. who's fault is it really? Maybe it's time to start a business doing compromised password insurance...
RandyFolds

Activity: 448

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 03:10:42 AM

The lesson here is that every password the user types is important

...only if they are an idiot. If you operate by the 'no child left behind' policy, you end up with a whole classroom full of simpletons.

Side note: the pool I use (ArsBitcoin) states in bolded red text that worker names and passwords are stored as plaintext.
iamzill

Activity: 677

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 04:04:26 AM

I'm pretty sure that responsibility lies with the user themselves. After all, if you use the same key for your car, house, boat, storage unit, etc. who's fault is it really? Maybe it's time to start a business doing compromised password insurance...

Yes, of course it's the user's responsibility. That's why I called those one-in-a-million users "dumb-asses".

But if the coder is too lazy to spare one line of code to encrypt a useless password then I wouldn't trust that same coder to process my transactions.

By the end of the day, this is yet another security breach and another blow to the credibility of Bitcoins. Whether you used nofeemining or not, whether you chose strong passwords or not doesn't matter, because you were still hurt by this security breach.
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 09:20:16 AM

Not trivially; I don't think pushpoold supports storing worker passwords as anything other than plaintext.

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 10:20:45 AM

Wait, why do mining workers even HAVE passwords?

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 10:23:35 AM

I also never understood this...
bitclown

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 10:27:32 AM

I also never understood this...
To prevent others from abusing your account. Pools will ban misbehaving users.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: