Bitcoin Forum
May 18, 2024, 01:11:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: HODL - the synonym for I'm out of money but too greedy to sell.  (Read 9636 times)
ElectricMucus (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2014, 09:39:51 PM

This results in the current situation: Everybody is sitting on their capital gains and spam the HODL bullshit all over the forum in the hopes that other people don't realize their gains.

That's some hubris you've got there, telling me (part of everybody) why I am involved with Bitcoin.

Inevitably, this hubris will collapse. Wink

Out of context it certainly looks that way.

What is the context? The speculation forum? Speculation and idealism aren't mutually exclusive! Smiley

The context of the rest of my post.

Just for you: everbodymost people spamming HODL, I don't say all of them, necessarily there might be a few who do it for various other reasons, but when it comes down to it, on the subconscious level I think it is true for the vast majority.
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4018
Merit: 4493

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 09:47:57 PM

most people spamming HODL

I prefer HOADR if you want to engage in a childish misspelling meme.

Buy. Hold. Buy more. Hold. Repeat.

Spend only when necessary.

Paper wallets FTW.
ElectricMucus (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2014, 10:19:05 PM

most people spamming HODL

I prefer HOADR if you want to engage in a childish misspelling meme.

I don't.
ErisDiscordia
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1163

Imposition of ORder = Escalation of Chaos

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 10:23:14 PM

This results in the current situation: Everybody is sitting on their capital gains and spam the HODL bullshit all over the forum in the hopes that other people don't realize their gains.

That's some hubris you've got there, telling me (part of everybody) why I am involved with Bitcoin.

What is the context? The speculation forum? Speculation and idealism aren't mutually exclusive! Smiley

Just for you: everbodymost people spamming HODL, I don't say all of them, necessarily there might be a few who do it for various other reasons, but when it comes down to it, on the subconscious level I think it is true for the vast majority.

I think you have a fair point here, but don't forget about the people, who don't want to "realize" any capital gains into fiat, because they have grown to trust BTC more than fiat. So they would rather have a big chunk of their long-term wealth parked in BTC than to sell part of it and do...what exactly with it? Personally unless I need some funds for unforeseen expenditures or BTC appreciates so much that it becomes an uncomfortably large portion of my net wealth I see no reason to sell. Spending it is another matter, though.

It's all bullshit. But bullshit makes the flowers grow and that's beautiful.
ElectricMucus (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2014, 10:23:35 PM

What's interesting about this thread that now people start defending HODL bullshit spammers who aren't even engaged in this practice but are behind the same ideology. Or is it because you just have to respond to everything I post? Wink
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 10:30:23 PM

IMO if you are not holding enough coins to make a serious profit buy selling and buying again when price is potentially lower, it isn't even worth the headache of selling and then trying to time the market well enough to make sure you can compensate for the fees and all to make a profit by buying slightly more coins than the ones you sold....

Makes more sense just to try and keep your dollar cost average as low as possible, and try and purchase more on the dips...
ElectricMucus (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2014, 10:32:03 PM

I think you have a fair point here, but don't forget about the people, who don't want to "realize" any capital gains into fiat, because they have grown to trust BTC more than fiat. So they would rather have a big chunk of their long-term wealth parked in BTC than to sell part of it and do...what exactly with it? Personally unless I need some funds for unforeseen expenditures or BTC appreciates so much that it becomes an uncomfortably large portion of my net wealth I see no reason to sell. Spending it is another matter, though.

You too, what I am saying is that even those people subconsciously have the same issue. Either way I doubt many of them posted "HODL" even once.
BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 11:42:17 PM

Yes, another ad hom thread! My favorite  Roll Eyes

I think I'll bump it to add to its legitimacy.  Cool
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 12:09:18 AM

Ok the HODL bullshit has gone long enough.

HODL is a meme the inspires courage during outbreaks of FUD.  However, I don't think too many people (of those that have been here a while) are literally hodling all their coins.  Otherwise, many would be sitting on a portfolio > 95% in bitcoins.  I can't imagine a 28 year old with $5,000 in the bank and $400,000 in bitcoins sleeping well at night.  Some diversify into cash, some into gold, and others into yellow Lamborghinis.    

But you don't want to diversify too much!  If you keep selling half your coins, you quickly end up with very few, and this is equally bad for your health.   Risto has done some nice work with his SSS divestment plan: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=345065.0.  If you now hold a large amount of value in bitcoin, by following a simple strategy (divest 10 - 15% each time the price doubles) you can win-small if bitcoin eventually fails, and still win big is bitcoin succeeds.  

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
c0ldfusi0nz

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 12:11:50 AM

I, for one, am HODLING, but I am not out of fiat either. I'm buying the dip.
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 12:13:45 AM

Otherwise, many would be sitting on a portfolio > 95% in bitcoins. 

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 01:16:25 AM

What's interesting about this thread that now people start defending HODL bullshit spammers who aren't even engaged in this practice but are behind the same ideology. Or is it because you just have to respond to everything I post? Wink

It just seems like it makes sense to take a hodlistic view of the entire Bitcoin ecosystem.  That's all.  And it's worked for me.

HODL on bro, happy HODLing to you!

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 01:19:18 AM

What movie was that thing from?   i remember seeing it..it was that one with Matt Damon and Ben Affleck as the angels...was it Dogma?
chessnut
Legendary

Activity: 924

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 01:39:47 AM

Im in it for the long run. Im gonna hodl. whats the damn problem? Im not greedy.

johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 04:04:55 AM

Exchange a limited supply currency for an unlimited supply currency? Not really interested unless I'm running out of cash, wait... I can always take a loan... Cheesy

Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 11:20:34 AM

What it boils down to is the price of Bitcoins has risen to such an extent that most people can't afford them. (notice the plural here guys!)
This results in the current situation: Everybody is sitting on their capital gains and spam the HODL bullshit all over the forum in the hopes that other people don't realize their gains. From this perspective it even makes sense to spam the forum with HODL you are currently in the process of liquidating. Withdraw limits from the exchanges make it necessary to keep the charade up as long as possible.

Will Bitcoins be even more expensive in the future? Possibly.
Does the HODL bullshit have anything to do with it? Certainly not.

How does it feel if you sell your only Bitcoin and a month later it's $10,000 and you can never afford a Bitcoin again?

Think.
Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 11:23:39 AM

I think on a bigger scale than you do. dont be such a know it all, because you cant predict every swing. afterall, we are talking about bitcoin, and the best traders make money in the long run not the short run.

why do you hodl fiat? why dont you try day trading forex.....? cos you will loooooseee
The best way to make money is to ignore the price until the next bubble. If you bought at the peak of this bubble you can't think about selling until the next bubble.
podyx
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1035

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 11:24:02 AM

LOL best
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 11:27:55 AM

How does it feel if you sell your only Bitcoin and a month later it's $10,000 and you can never afford a Bitcoin again?

Think.

You certainly asked the right person.  Bad enough to be highly annoyed at all the hodlers, apparently, as evidenced by this thread.  Poor e-mucus Sad

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
wbaw

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2014, 12:54:04 PM

It just means "I'm too dumb and/or lazy to trade". Everyone should hodl sometimes, you can't day tard 24/7. Hodling is not a great long term strategy, might as well delete your keys & give up, but there's a time for it, like when you just missed your opportunity to sell before the price dropped.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: