Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:29:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin clock  (Read 7685 times)
payb.tc (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 07:38:19 AM

Awwwee I thought it was an actual clock  Undecided

That's okay still very cool!!

it is an actual clock... or do you mean a physical one? Cheesy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 09:42:45 AM

update! the clock has just had a little makeover.

Nice work.  May I send a tip?

I must admit I've never liked the second hand.  Each cycle of the hour and minute hands mark a Bitcoin event but a cycle of the second hand only represents an approximation to 24 hours.

I would have a cycle of the second hand represent the addition of a single block.  Of course, the classic notion of angle symbolising "progress" toward an event would have to be weakened.  I submit the most natural mechanic would be to measure time since the last block, with 10 minutes represented by a half turn, 20 mins by 3/4, 40 mins by 7/8, et cetera.  The second hand could then move smoothly.  Another consequence is that the position of the second hand at a random time would be uniform, just as with a normal clock.  Bonus points for having a more accurate expected block frequency than 10 minutes.

I'm certain the idea of cycles of the second hand representing block creations has been raised before.  I can't think of a more elegant way of graphically representing the exotic nature of block-chain activity in a clock than with a smooth and gradually slowing second hand.
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 02:01:08 PM

I must admit I've never liked the second hand.  Each cycle of the hour and minute hands mark a Bitcoin event but a cycle of the second hand only represents an approximation to 24 hours.

I would have a cycle of the second hand represent the addition of a single block.  Of course, the classic notion of angle symbolising "progress" toward an event would have to be weakened.  I submit the most natural mechanic would be to measure time since the last block, with 10 minutes represented by a half turn, 20 mins by 3/4, 40 mins by 7/8, et cetera.  The second hand could then move smoothly.  Another consequence is that the position of the second hand at a random time would be uniform, just as with a normal clock.  Bonus points for having a more accurate expected block frequency than 10 minutes.

I'm certain the idea of cycles of the second hand representing block creations has been raised before.  I can't think of a more elegant way of graphically representing the exotic nature of block-chain activity in a clock than with a smooth and gradually slowing second hand.

Haha I like that idea! ..a gradually slower and slower hand, which will never quite reach "12" by itself, but only when finding a block!
I agree, no better way to show the "odds and variance" thingie of our blocks! :-)

But surely a heck of more complicated to program.

Ente
00null

Activity: 148
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 02:52:15 PM

Hello User25846/E&G/payb.tc/Bitcoinmax/Ian Grice! Wow, you have more names than Atlas...
Does the clock show when you will finally answer in your very own ponzi thread? https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=83904.msg1582668#msg1582668
Or even better, it should show when you will return the 150k+BTC! For those that did not follow those events, Ian Grice successfully "collected" some $8M+ at todays value...

payb.tc (OP)

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 12:16:51 AM

tips always welcome at http://payb.tc/donate Cheesy thanks

your ideas are intriguing and i'll look into in more detail next time i decide to spend time on the site. As usual it was more of a little hobby site so not really a lot of time to make things complicated. the update for the  graphics on the clock face was well overdue, being over a year since i made the original blue and red one.

00null

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 03:54:50 AM

LOL, yeah sure, $8M is not enough...
Is your name Ian Grice or Ian Greed?

Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 07:32:40 AM

Ian tries to get rid of that ol' pirate-passthrough story.
Don't expect any reaction whatsoever, no matter where and how you contact him regarding bitcoinmax.

Ente
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 09:43:27 AM

80 mil sent.

your ideas are intriguing and i'll look into in more detail next time i decide to spend time on the site. As usual it was more of a little hobby site so not really a lot of time to make things complicated. the update for the  graphics on the clock face was well overdue, being over a year since i made the original blue and red one.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the open-minded response.  I have little experience with programming so cannot say how hard this would be to do.  Right now, it seems that the page refreshes temporarily so I think smooth rotation would take more work than its worth.  The angle of the second hand would be:
Code:
1 - (1 / 2)^(time_since_last_block / average_time_per_block)
where 1 represents a full turn (I made a silly mistake in my previous description, 7/8 should be 30 mins).  I guess the most difficult part would be with getting sane values for time_since_last_block (which should always be non-negative) and average_time_per_block (although 10 min is a good enough approximation).

Anyway, consider this a friendly suggestion and notes for the future should you find the time and interest to give this a go.

And thanks Ente for the support Smiley
00null

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 12:07:40 PM

Ian tries to get rid of that ol' pirate-passthrough story.
Don't expect any reaction whatsoever, no matter where and how you contact him regarding bitcoinmax.

Ente

Sure, and when eventually pirate comes back, we all hug him and everything is forgotten.
And everybody wonders why there are so much scams in the Bitcoin world...
As long as we as a community accept such a behavior we deserve no better.

payb.tc (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 12:21:04 AM

the bitcoin clock is now owned by mc_lovin
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: