Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 09:09:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mine&Hold vs. Mine&Sell ?  (Read 2058 times)
CoinBuzz (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 10:20:00 PM

Hi guys,

What's your strategy of altcoin mining?

Do u mine altcoins and hold them for long long term (hope that they will be used in daily usage or worth 1000$ someday) ?

Or Do u mine them and sell them for bitcoin (because bitcoin is the only thing worth for current and future for sure) ?

Just want to know your thoughts

Join ASAP: FREE BITCOIN
CoinAmmo

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 10:21:05 PM

i usually sell 50% and hold 50% of promising altcoins, depending on the math and the community

MintCoin - MNT - PoW/PoS Hybrid energy Saving! - GO MINT Coins!!!
MNT - MYugcMRrY7uySY9i3LX4kUz1aGJy7FwCuC
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2014, 10:23:07 PM

Hi guys,

Do u mine altcoins and hold them for long long term (hope that they will be used in daily usage or worth 1000$ someday) ?

Or Do u mine them and sell them for bitcoin (because bitcoin is the only thing worth for current and future for sure) ?

I guess alts are not good to keep your money in it Smiley because there is huge risk of losing value.

So I guess if you mine alts - sell most of it to collect money and but bettermining hardware.
elixir

Activity: 224

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 12:08:19 AM

i have a few coins that i will save but depending on the market i do sell now and again.

OPEC oc2E9cQ4StgaMW2a18pKuZGe5h9RZdLL9c

Non nobis solum, sed omnibus! - Franko

Ɖ ~ DSNJ49NdZM4KjLHfPSYEGWKRn7wSC4bWqi
CoinBuzz (OP)

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 06:42:18 PM

any other advice ?

MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2014, 06:48:59 PM

Hi guys,

Mine and hold the coins you think are going up, mine and sell the coins you think are going down.  Smiley
jongameson

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 06:51:07 PM

mine/buy weed from SR
alc

Activity: 129

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 06:54:07 PM

Haven't cashed out yet. Wishing I'd cashed out a little back when LTC was $50... c'est la vie.
hellscabane
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 06:59:04 PM

I personally do a proportional thing where I dedicate the amount of hashing power needed to meet operating costs + 33% to a multipool where I cash out regularly and use what I cash out for operations + some play money. With my remaining hashing power, roughly half goes to coins that I have feel have strong fundamentals and are good long term, and the other half goes to speculative mining endeavors.

It's worked very well for me thus far. Of course, YMMW...
juju

Activity: 381

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 07:02:29 PM

Someone can correct me if i am being too hopeful and optimistic. First off, I am not saying that all Alt coins will go up in value, but from my perspective Exchanging Altcoins->BTC can probably become its own Financial sector in the future. (It has developed quite fast)

Some of the projected Market caps for Cryptocurrencies will be around 1 Trillion around 2024, looking at some currencies right now for example: TIPS has a market cap of like 1.3-1.6million last I checked. If overtime the cryptocurrency market cap as a whole grows I imagine some of the alts we are holding now could have new caps several times their current values.

Hold for years and years.
hellscabane
Legendary

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 07:12:56 PM

Someone can correct me if i am being too hopeful and optimistic. First off, I am not saying that all Alt coins will go up in value, but from my perspective Exchanging Altcoins->BTC can probably become its own Financial sector in the future. (It has developed quite fast)

Some of the projected Market caps for Cryptocurrencies will be around 1 Trillion around 2024, looking at some currencies right now for example: TIPS has a market cap of like 1.3-1.6million last I checked. If overtime the cryptocurrency market cap as a whole grows I imagine some of the alts we are holding now could have new caps several times their current values.

Whoa! $1 Trillion? I need to see that analysis. That's nearly 5% of the US M2 estimate in 2024. And that's nothing to sneeze at...

Could you provide a link to that analysis? I'm very intrigued to how such a high number was obtained...
blade87

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 07:21:41 PM

Mine at release and sell shortly after is a good strategy. Mine and sell once the coin is no longer the most profitable to mine is a horrible strategy.

But, whatever is sold, I would keep in crypto.
juju

Activity: 381

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 07:28:54 PM

Whoa! $1 Trillion? I need to see that analysis. That's nearly 5% of the US M2 estimate in 2024. And that's nothing to sneeze at...

Could you provide a link to that analysis? I'm very intrigued to how such a high number was obtained...

No links to any formal Analysis, this is a topic of interest I would like to read about further myself. What I discussed above were figures I read on either this site or some similar forum(purely speculative). Right now BTC is around 10b Market CAP USD, in the past year BTC's market cap has grown from several hundred million to up to about ~15billion at its peak, based on the trend of the BTC Market cap, a year from now the cap could possibly reach 30-45billion during the its next peak. As more people learn about BTC and other various crypto-currencies they will mine/invest in Alts as a way to try to make a quick BTC.
hellscabane
Legendary

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 07:49:37 PM

No links to any formal Analysis, this is a topic of interest I would like to read about further myself. What I discussed above were figures I read on either this site or some similar forum(purely speculative). Right now BTC is around 10b Market CAP USD, in the past year BTC's market cap has grown from several hundred million to up to about ~15billion at its peak, based on the trend of the BTC Market cap, a year from now the cap could possibly reach 30-45billion during the its next peak. As more people learn about BTC and other various crypto-currencies they will mine/invest in Alts as a way to try to make a quick BTC.

Understandable, I guess the trickiest thing is which global economies can cryptocurrencies penetrate further in to. It's hard to say really. The biggest issue is that cryptocurrencies need direct inflow to support market caps. I could imagine market caps continuing to grow, but to reach $1 Trillion would require Y/Y growth of nearly 100% for the next ten years. That's really a lot for any starting cap, more or less for a cap already in the billions.
CoinBuzz (OP)

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 08:38:39 PM

Unfortunatly multipools does not provide reasonable income (they are normally lower than if mine one profitable coin directly).

Do u mine on multipools and hoard your BTC's?

BitCoinPokerBro

Activity: 826

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 08:40:02 PM

mine/buy weed from SR

Not sure if I read that right? Huh
jongameson

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 08:45:48 PM

mine/buy weed from SR

i meant sell.  we're here to make a prophet, right?
CoinBuzz (OP)

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 09:24:09 PM

mine/buy weed from SR

i meant sell.  we're here to make a prophet, right?

SR shutted down, isnt it?

hvezdasmrti

Activity: 797
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 11:29:05 PM

Sell = regret selling
Hold = regret not selling

In Pump and Dump we trust.
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2014, 02:57:27 PM

Sell = regret selling
Hold = regret not selling

It is not like that:

Sell - I need money right now
Hold - I can wait like a year for a bigger profit.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: