Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:37:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [2014-02-06] IBT: Is Bitcoin Legal or Not? Take it from Apple and Malwarebytes  (Read 1699 times)
bryant.coleman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 06:19:32 AM

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/537746/20140207/bitcoin-apple-malwarebytes.htm#.UvR6qvmSwZ4

Apple Inc. (AAPL) removed popular Bitcoin programme Blockchain from its App Store, Bloomberg reports. Blockchain is an application for iPhones which is use to send and receive Bitcoins. Users view their Bitcoin balance online in online wallets through Blockchain.

Confusing... since when did Apple became so powerful inorder to determine the legality of BTC?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fluidjax

Activity: 750
Merit: 601

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 08:13:22 AM

I call for government regulations of these private market places.
It is not right that corporations through the use of terms and conditions (and contract law) can circumvent peoples constitutional and human rights.

We need governments acting on behalf of the people to ensure that these so called 'walled gardens' do not become areas where private and undemocratic laws can flourish. Corporations must not be allowed to become more powerful than the people.

We do not need regulation to hinder the growth of these market places, we need regulation to ensure that everyone is treated fairly.

smith88

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 08:22:36 AM

It is not right that corporations through the use of terms and conditions (and contract law) can circumvent peoples constitutional and human rights.

We need governments acting on behalf of the people to ensure that these so called 'walled gardens' do not become areas where private and undemocratic laws can flourish. Corporations must not be allowed to become more powerful than the people.

We do not need regulation to hinder the growth of these market places, we need regulation to ensure that everyone is treated fairly.

completely agree.
bryant.coleman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 10:46:57 AM

Government regulations can be good in most instances.
murraypaul

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 11:00:32 AM

Really? You have a constitutional right to have an app available in Apple's store?
Which amendment was that?

BTC: 16TgAGdiTSsTWSsBDphebNJCFr1NT78xFW
SRC: scefi1XMhq91n3oF5FrE3HqddVvvCZP9KB
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2014, 11:03:40 AM

You can't regulate mathematics.
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 11:52:38 AM

I couldn't disagree more!

Apple is not circumventing people's rights.  Apple is not forcing people into its walled garden through a threat of violence.  People enter into these agreements because they perceive themselves to be better off for it.  I don't see much fairness in the rest of society telling them that they're wrong and forcibly removing this option from them.
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 02:29:07 PM

Android users not affected.

Evil gloating  Grin
kwest

Activity: 476

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 02:39:42 PM

I wonder if this would be legal in Sweden. We have more strict competition laws than the US.. if a company does anything that hinders another to compete fairly, they're gonna have a bad time. Many company mergers happening in the US, creating these "too big to fail" behemoths, would be impossible here.

Bitcoin itself may not be a company, but companies that depend on the bitcoin technology to remain in business are affected by this.
MashRinx

Activity: 389

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 07:06:06 PM

Apple created their first walled garden with their PCs 30 years ago, did very well initially, and eventually lost significant market share as other companies caught up and allowed for openness and innovation that drove growth and additional adoption.  The same thing happened in the mobile device space and I believe history will repeat itself. 

With this move, Apple didn't decide the 'legality' of anything.  They have been tolerant at best to anything Bitcoin in the past, and that tolerance seems to have morphed into open hostility more recently, whatever their reasons.

We don't need government regulations.  The market will decide.
Bitcopia

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 08:02:36 PM

You can't regulate mathematics.

I agree. However, this is like saying one can't regulate iron. Which is true, but one can, unfortunately, regulate the applications of iron. The question is whether or not the people choose to accept such regulations.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2014, 08:18:09 PM

I don't entirely agree, they can certainly try to regulate anything, but being successful is another matter entirely and you have regulations in government where they don't even know what their goal is and whether they've been successful in the first place. The 'war' on drugs and other morality based bollocks is a classic example of what I'm thinking of and then you have the catholic church trying to go after scientific thinkers etc.
VforVictory

Activity: 280

V for Victory or Rather JustV8

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 09:34:50 PM

Seriously, can this crap about Apple removing stuff from the app store die already? It was garbage anyhow.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 11:23:50 PM

Oh so now apple is a government and can make laws and can decide what is legal and is illegal, what is lawful and what is unlawful?

Wow guys, we are getting quickly in a cyberpunk setting where megacorporations rule the world, aren't we? And i mean, really quickly, like, today!  Shocked

Soon we will have megacorporations wars, mercenaries, spies, it will be like Deus Ex!!!  Cheesy

Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 02:00:36 AM

The irony of Apple in the 21st century is surely that they produced OSX from open source software with liberal licensing, then went on to make the most restrictive platform with it. Just ditch Apple, these days I'm quite proud that I could never afford to give them my money. Who wants software that's expensive and tells you what to do? It's not even that bug free any more.

Vires in numeris
Tranquility140

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 02:03:51 AM

People are posting vids of them destroying their iPhones because of this.
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 02:24:20 AM

The irony of Apple in the 21st century is surely that they produced OSX from open source software with liberal licensing, then went on to make the most restrictive platform with it.

Here's another stalwart contender for "The irony of Apple" (in case you missed it):

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=451400.0
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 02:29:17 AM
Last edit: February 08, 2014, 05:19:13 PM by DeathAndTaxes

You have no constitutional right to set the terms of Apple's walled garden anymore than you have a "freedom of speech" to stand naked in my living room and scream obscenities in my face at two in the morning.

So how about .... if you don't like the rules in Apple's private property you don't use it.  Problem solved and without the implicit threat of violence by the state against its citizens.

If enough people do the same thing, it will hurt Apple's bottom line and Apple's shareholders will get pissed at Apple's management and demand changes.  Possibly leading to a more open Apple or at a minimum a smaller weaker Apple.  See all that without the need for you to use (indirect) violence to force others to do what you want them to.
bryant.coleman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 05:52:44 AM

The irony of Apple in the 21st century is surely that they produced OSX from open source software with liberal licensing, then went on to make the most restrictive platform with it.

Here's another stalwart contender for "The irony of Apple" (in case you missed it):

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=451400.0

Apple is surviving just because of the biased US court judgments. Else Samsung would have sweeped the floor with them.
freet0pian

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 03:50:59 PM

You have no constitutional right to set the terms of Apple's walled garden anymore than you have a "freedom of speech" to stand naked in my living room and scream obscenities in my face at two in the morning.

So how about .... you don't like the rules in Apple's private property you don't use it.  Problem solved.  If enough people agree with you it will hurt Apple's bottom line and Apple's shareholders will get pissed at Apple's management and demand changes.  See all that without the need for you to use (indirect) violence to force others to do what you want them to.

+1984

These statists beg for more government and one day, if they're smart enough, they'll realize how govs don't bring much good to the table. And the little that is for good is offset multiple times by the means that are used to fund it. Free communities do good, not forced ones.

░▒▓█ welcome to freet0pia █▓▒░
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: