Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:05:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Global Markets Are Tanking  (Read 4883 times)
mikethebodacious (OP)

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 02:12:47 AM

Global markets are taking.  Dow is down 700 points in two days, EU is crumbling and Greece is months away from default.  US has already hit the debt ceiling AGAIN which it just fought over passing less than 2 months ago.  So when does everyone think we will have a global economic collapse?  Do you think the bankers and politicians can hold this crumbling system together for much longer?  Want to hear people's time estimates on how this event will unfold into the next year.....

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mikethebodacious (OP)

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 02:13:19 AM

Oh, btw gold and silver are ON SALE!  Perfect time to load up  Grin

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 02:40:00 AM

yeah, perfect time.
worldinacoin

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 02:59:26 AM

There will be a recession, if we are not in one already.  It is part of the crests and troughs of an economic cycle.  Maybe more severe a Big Recession, but it is during recessions that the imperfections correct itself.  Delaying one as what the USA had done through massive stimulus proved to be more harmful than helpful.   If there is a need for some pain, lets face it now rather than delay for more pain later on.
steelhouse

Activity: 717
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 08:46:56 AM

Global markets are taking.  Dow is down 700 points in two days, EU is crumbling and Greece is months away from default.  US has already hit the debt ceiling AGAIN which it just fought over passing less than 2 months ago.  So when does everyone think we will have a global economic collapse?  Do you think the bankers and politicians can hold this crumbling system together for much longer?  Want to hear people's time estimates on how this event will unfold into the next year.....

Debt ceiling has not been hit!  It won't probably be hit again til after next election.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 10:25:13 AM

FED is not giving QE3, which I take as a sign of hesitation of Ben. Even they want to quit the QE policy, they should do it gradualy, a 200 billion dollar QE3 will give them much more flexibility

payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 10:33:49 AM

hooray... looking forward to a much better AUD/USD rate.

hope it gets back to 70-80 cents where it belongs.
iamzill

Activity: 677
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 05:30:02 PM

$1635/Oz right now  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Sorry for the stupid question, but why does gold go down in risky times? The same thing happened in Oct 2008 as well. That's really counterintuitive for me.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 06:00:05 PM

Sorry for the stupid question, but why does gold go down in risky times? The same thing happened in Oct 2008 as well. That's really counterintuitive for me.

During good times, people use leverage.  During bad times, they have to sell whatever they are holding to pay things off.  Gold is always pretty liquid, so it is easy to turn it into cash quickly.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 06:25:59 PM

Gold, and somewhat for silver, acts a bit differently than other commodities because of it's history as base money.  Obviously, some investors want to hold gold for reasons of capital preservation; but the largest gold holders (central banks, soverign wealth funds, etc) do so mostly as a liquid investment.  Intended to be sold in times of fiscal stress on other fronts.  For an example, mutual funds have to have some cash to buffer the many trades in and out of the fund on a daily basis; but some of the largest funds will also have a small percentage of the fund in physical gold.  They do this should there be a 'run' on the fund by spooked investors, but the managers don't want to sell equities assets in order to pay out to the panicing retirees heading for the exit.  Holding some small amount of gold allows the fund managers of actively managed funds the option of selling the fund's gold without being forced to sell the fund's equity assets into a falling market.  I think that this is what we have been seeing for the past two days with both gold & silver dropping so much.  I don't think that gold bugs are selling, nor individuals who hold gold as a personal 'insurance' against fiscal policy uncertainty.  This also implies that such fund managers don't believe that the drop in the stock market is more than a panic, otherwise some of them would be selling equities into the market and buying the gold sold by others, and thus there would be a tempered balance.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
iamzill

Activity: 677

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 06:39:31 PM

Thanks for the explanation guys. That really cleared it up.

I only had gold bugs in mind and did not consider these large institutional investors.
MatthewLM
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 08:10:52 PM

Why would CBs want to sell gold if it would spark a panic? It would kill confidence because people will think governments are in major problems. Surely the CBs want to continue inflating away the debts and financial problems because that also has a contradictory effect of increasing confidence because people are stupid enough to believe money inflation is good for economies. It certainly increases stock market confidence. Selling gold would kill confidence I think. It's contradictory but its because people have been tricked.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 08:47:01 PM

Why would CBs want to sell gold if it would spark a panic? It would kill confidence because people will think governments are in major problems. Surely the CBs want to continue inflating away the debts and financial problems because that also has a contradictory effect of increasing confidence because people are stupid enough to believe money inflation is good for economies. It certainly increases stock market confidence. Selling gold would kill confidence I think. It's contradictory but its because people have been tricked.

I didn't say that central banks were selling gold, I said that they were an example of a different type of gold buyer than most commodities, as a support for the concept that gold doesn't act quite like other commodites.  Fund managers, and similar investment vehicles, are most likely who is selling gold right now.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
MatthewLM
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 09:11:03 PM

I can't remember what I was thinking then, sorry.  Grin

mikethebodacious (OP)

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 10:49:20 PM

Thanks for the chart Matt, I know some people don't believe in technical analysis but the head and shoulders is so obvious you can see the Dow Jones bubble is going to pop soon.  It is so grossly overvalued it isn't even funny.

MatthewLM
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 11:09:32 PM

I suppose the fundamentals are that the US and world economies are in a dire condition and will be for some time. It is obvious how stock markets have been pumped into bubbles which have more to crash than in '08. Stimulus cant pump the markets up any more I don't think and any stimulus only delays and makes the inevitable even greater. It's the end of the game, soon if not very soon.
HappyFunnyFoo

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 06:27:13 PM

In five years, a lot of you guys are going to be kicking yourselves.
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 06:52:18 PM

In five years, a lot of you guys are going to be kicking yourselves.

why?

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
d.james

Activity: 280

Firstbits: 12pqwk

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 05:06:14 PM

The chance of a guy kicking himself during the period of a 5 years is extremely high.

I've surely kicked myself a few times in this year alone.

You can not roll a BitCoin, but you can rollback some. Cheesy
Roll me back: 1NxMkvbYn8o7kKCWPsnWR4FDvH7L9TJqGG
HappyFunnyFoo

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 25, 2011, 10:40:14 PM

Trying to compare the Dow at any period of time without comparing fundamentals is a bad way to invest.  There's very little similarity between the 21st century and the roaring 20's.  A bit, but not much.  I do suggest shorting the dow - respectable investors need some people to take the wrong side of the long bet.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: