Bitcoin Forum
July 10, 2024, 08:37:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: XFX 7990 overheating issue  (Read 1893 times)
bartecky (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 07:46:51 PM

Hi,
I'm new and not experienced so please forgive me if I miss some important details.
Here is the story:
My rig:
ASRock 970 EXTREME4 AM3+ AMD 970 ATX Motherboard
AMD Sempron Processor 145 2.8Ghz 1MB AM3 Retail
ADATA XPG V1.0 Desktop Memory - DDR3 1600, 4GB, Blue - AX3U1600W4G11-RD
32GB SSD SanDisk
2 x XFX Triple D FX-799A-6NF9 Radeon HD 7990 6GB 384
Thunderbolt 1200W Power Supply ATX 1200 Energy Star Certified Power Supply TTBK20G

I have 2 problems:
1) 7990's are heating up very quickly to 102C.
2) There are 4 cores in cards and they run different kH values
GPU0: usually around 650
GPU1: usually around 650
GPU2: usually around 480
GPU3: usually around 480

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_FehGFqYPR6QU0zU3J0NlNXSG12ek42Z0lWZ2FWN2JGd2g4/edit?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_FehGFqYPR6U3NnUFZmeS1RQTZLaUFfelBlSk0wY3BIVDBr/edit?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_FehGFqYPR6US1LdGloNHRaOU91ZFVRM0ZJOU5ZUUNYQzl3/edit?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_FehGFqYPR6bDRvUVpfbE9TbU00UlBfZDZNQlVteDB1NlR3/edit?usp=sharing
ClessMeister

Activity: 47

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2014, 09:32:25 PM

The hashing rate seems to look ok but then I would need to know your cgminers bat file & config file that what configurations you have. Little lowering the intensity, assigning --temp-target 90 --temp-overheat 95 --temp-cutoff 100 and the right thread concurrency makes it run like a charm. I suggest on usin pci-e risers to relocate those 7990 from the motherboard for better airflow makes the ekstra cooling part.

Cheers.  Cool
scrap

Activity: 59

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 10:41:22 PM

Im sure that number could be lower, but dont expect to get cool temps with XFX

i have personal experience and spent thousands on 7950's and 7970's from them and they ALL run hotter than my visionteks and saphires. at least 10C, sometimes 15C.
ClessMeister

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2014, 11:22:44 PM

Im sure that number could be lower, but dont expect to get cool temps with XFX

i have personal experience and spent thousands on 7950's and 7970's from them and they ALL run hotter than my visionteks and saphires. at least 10C, sometimes 15C.

This is so very true as I run an Pc-Components shop here in Finland and every now and then XFX ones come in as "temperature problematics". Not a single Sapphire, Asus or other ones come before the warranty ends.

Cheers.  Cool
bartecky (OP)

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 08:43:29 AM

The hashing rate seems to look ok but then I would need to know your cgminers bat file & config file that what configurations you have. Little lowering the intensity, assigning --temp-target 90 --temp-overheat 95 --temp-cutoff 100 and the right thread concurrency makes it run like a charm. I suggest on usin pci-e risers to relocate those 7990 from the motherboard for better airflow makes the ekstra cooling part.

Cheers.  Cool

Thank you for tips. It is very important for newbie like me to get an opinion from more experienced miners Smiley
OK, I think I figured out the problem with hash difference between cards. Looks like one PCI-E 16X is giving me smaller hash rates then others. The problem is I have to use it because otherwise I could not connect both cards. So, power risers to the rescue!!!
My settings so far are pretty standard I guess: -I 13 -g 2 -w 256 --thread-concurrency 8192 --lookup-gap 2
I'm not sure if this is what you asked for. Somebody else set it up for me. I'll try to add your suggestions to it.
When cards are mining at full speed (it happens sometimes, not sure why) they give around 1350kh/card

Eastwind

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 11:39:02 AM
Last edit: February 11, 2014, 08:33:35 AM by Eastwind

You can use MSI afterburner beta to reduce the voltage to ~1.01v. I guess you are running at core/memory 950/1000MHz to achieve 650kH/s. So ~1.01v should be enough.

You can reduce the power/heat so that the other two cards are not throttled. When the core/VRM temperature is too high, the card will reduce the frequency or GPU usage automatically.
bartecky (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 01:49:54 AM

Thank you for this tip.
After I used suggested settings the hash rates and temp are much better.
ClessMeister

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 01:08:01 PM

You can use MSI afterburner beta to reduce the voltage to ~1.01v. I guess you are running at core/memory 950/1000MHz to achieve 650kH/s. So ~1.01v should be enough.

You can reduce the power/heat so that the other two cards are not throttled. When the core/VRM temperature is too high, the card will reduce the frequency or GPU usage automatically.

Remember that too much undervolting your GPU controller shorten significally much its lifetime.

But not with these minor changes like stated here.

Cheers.  Cool
Starscream

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 01:11:24 PM

Remember that too much undervolting your GPU controller shorten significally much its lifetime.

Cheers.  Cool

Undervolting prolongs the lifespan of an electronic device. How the hell did you come up with it shortening its lifespan???
ClessMeister

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 01:29:28 PM

Cheers.  Cool

Undervolting prolongs the lifespan of an electronic device. How the hell did you come up with it shortening its lifespan???

Yes it shortens Graphics cards lifespan as it is designed to run on a  right voltage amount. When you run a device with "wrong" values of settings that it is not used to run never makes it better. It shortens the lifetime of it and many other electrical devices. I've been managing electrical devices and computers for the last 20years as my living.  Wink

Cheers.  Cool
Starscream

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 01:42:33 PM

Yes it shortens Graphics cards lifespan as it is designed to run on a  right voltage amount. When you run a device with "wrong" values of settings that it is not used to run never makes it better. It shortens the lifetime of it and many other electrical devices. I've been managing electrical devices and computers for the last 20years as my living.  Wink

Cheers.  Cool
Funny, I have been working with electronic devices for 15 years now and undervolting doesn't shorten the life of a device, it prolongs it. Ever heard of electromigration? I guess you have if you're been in the business for 20 years.
More undervolt = less current = less degradation of the material.

A GPU is designed to run at a certain range of voltages, yes, but when you go under, nothing bad happens (the GPU will simply not work) or if you go above it, you'll just fry it.

And I just do it as a hobby  Wink
ClessMeister

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 02:21:04 PM

Yes it shortens Graphics cards lifespan as it is designed to run on a  right voltage amount. When you run a device with "wrong" values of settings that it is not used to run never makes it better. It shortens the lifetime of it and many other electrical devices. I've been managing electrical devices and computers for the last 20years as my living.  Wink

Cheers.  Cool
Funny, I have been working with electronic devices for 15 years now and undervolting doesn't shorten the life of a device, it prolongs it. Ever heard of electromigration? I guess you have if you're been in the business for 20 years.
More undervolt = less current = less degradation of the material.

A GPU is designed to run at a certain range of voltages, yes, but when you go under, nothing bad happens (the GPU will simply not work) or if you go above it, you'll just fry it.

And I just do it as a hobby  Wink

You know this is not a " I think " thingy as its a fact.  Cool You will learn while you experiment and really compile, build, test, code and alter the components on pc-industry.  Wink Just no offense Starscream but I only write something from I know for sure because I don't want to mislead people with "I think" thoughts.

When you're hobbying such things as electronics and atleast seem to know something even from electromigration so why don't you go and do it as a job? It pays pretty good for a diplomat-engineer spot on a bigger company. Wink Don't believe everything that has been written on wikipedia as many of the topics are straight from users opinions and not a fact. :DDDD

This is end from my behalf as I don't argue on facts.

Cheers.  Cool
Starscream

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 03:03:35 PM

You know this is not a " I think " thingy as its a fact.  Cool You will learn while you experiment and really compile, build, test, code and alter the components on pc-industry.  Wink Just no offense Starscream but I only write something from I know for sure because I don't want to mislead people with "I think" thoughts.

When you're hobbying such things as electronics and atleast seem to know something even from electromigration so why don't you go and do it as a job? It pays pretty good for a diplomat-engineer spot on a bigger company. Wink Don't believe everything that has been written on wikipedia as many of the topics are straight from users opinions and not a fact. :DDDD

This is end from my behalf as I don't argue on facts.

Cheers.  Cool
Awesome. Don't spread misinformation next time and how about you leave my career to me, eh? Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: