Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:26:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Distribution of Wealth Detailing the BTC Holdings of Wallet Addresses  (Read 5622 times)
keithers (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 10:32:52 PM

Here is an interesting chart (as of 2/6/2014):

Obviously most people (myself included), that hold a decent amount of BTC are holding them in different wallets, however the above chart shows that if your btc wallet address holds more than 0.01 BTC, that you are currently in the top 1% of the bitcoin richest addresses.

This is an interesting distribution chart, as the number of addresses holding 1k or more bitcoins is very small in comparison to the world's population.   Where do you sit?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Revelations86

Activity: 428
Merit: 252

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 03:20:33 AM

Obviously most people (myself included), that hold a decent amount of BTC are holding them in different wallets, however the above chart shows that if your btc wallet address holds more than 0.01 BTC, that you are currently in the top 1% of the bitcoin richest addresses.

This is an interesting distribution chart, as the number of addresses holding 1k or more bitcoins is very small in comparison to the world's population.   Where do you sit?

Does the stats strike a resemblance to something that is extremely familiar?
AltorXP

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 05:19:08 AM

This is an interesting distribution chart, as the number of addresses holding 1k or more bitcoins is very small in comparison to the world's population.   Where do you sit?

Sort of resembles how wealth is distributed in fiat currencies
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 05:22:16 AM

As more things are purchasable in Bitcoin, these numbers will begin to change dramatically.

Pretty sure if I was an early adopter with 20,000 bitcoins, I would begin spending some of it once I can "buy anything under the sun" with Bitcoins.

In other words, as commerce increases, the distribution will even out a bit, and hoarding will decrease a bit.

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
rezilient

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 10:43:59 PM

Gotta say, those numbers are VERY surprising.  I would have expected way more holding 1000+ BTC based on early adopters.  I guess I'm not as late in the game as I thought.  Cool

You don't pay enough.
bitcoinminer

Activity: 322
Merit: 252

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 10:46:31 PM

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful.

-Warren Buffett
Alley
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 11:09:05 PM

Very interesting chart!  Where did it come from?  It would be nice to see a new chart every month to see how wallet distribution is changing.
CryptoDomains

Activity: 159
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 11:23:24 PM
Last edit: March 15, 2014, 11:46:28 PM by CryptoDomains

Wow, very sad news. Essentially this is one big game for a very small group statistically speaking and likely much less considering the multiple account holding.

Meaning it is more likely a big game for XX,XXX or even X,XXX people world wide and no more.

Essentially this could be devastating.

And I have to disagree with the redistributing via commerce, sorry but when you have the next largest group with $60-$600 worth on average and only a couple hundred thousand people , SO WHAT! That is 3% of the lions share, you do not help spread wealth with 3%.

Truth is if I saw this graph before hearing anymore about bitcoin to start I would laugh at the idea of a revolution with such an idea. This as far as I can see is an elite scheme now or a matter of pumping before dumping to the masses, the one's who usually are left holding the bag (taxes).

It also explains why we haven't heard hundreds and thousands of average Joe's complain about MTGOX, they likely do not exist in any number worth mentioning or lost much of anything worth complaining about.

If you steal from large holders you get large problems, when you steal $$$-$$$$ from thousands of individuals, you get a slap, watch.

herebittybittybitty

Activity: 154

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 12:34:30 AM

Throw out at least 95% of those addresses. They're junk, abandoned or never used.
WindMaster

Activity: 347
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 02:13:03 AM

Throw out at least 95% of those addresses. They're junk, abandoned or never used.

Wrong.  A never-used address never ends up in the blockchain and no one will know about it, thus wouldn't be included in these stats.
cdog

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 02:19:30 AM

My guess is almost 1M BTC is lost, unrecoverable, or wont ever become an output (sent or spent), particularly if you agree that Satoshi wont ever use 99% of his coins.

The problem now is BTC is fairly pricey compared to 2013 prices, so not many people can buy 100+ at a time. Most will buy in the 1-10 range. I tell everyone, just start buying one BTC.

If you look at how hard its going to be to mine one BTC in a year or two, especially when the block reward halves, it stands to reason BTC will be very valuable and hard to obtain.

When all the bears go home and these storm clouds blow over, and companies like Circle make BTC easy for everyone, the rise vs the USD will be fast and furious.

Conclusion: scoop coins now, even at $600-1000 per its still the best investment out there looking at the next few years.  
lassdas
Legendary

Activity: 3649
Merit: 1412

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 02:28:36 AM

Wow, very sad news.
And how's that sad news?
A lot of wealth is owned by a couple of people,
how's that surprising?

Truth is if I saw this graph before hearing anymore about bitcoin to start I would laugh at the idea of a revolution with such an idea.
Why's that?
What has the idea todo with others owning more than you do?

If you own a lot of $s, you can own (or mine) a lot of bitcoins too,
if you don't own any $s, you probably can't afford any bitcoins.
What's new about that?
And how is it different from any other currency?
CryptoDomains

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 02:41:47 AM

You answered all your questions you had of me yourself with this last question.

Welcome to no advancement apart from gov/central control, for now.

The fact is the coin as of now has done good for who exactly, drug dealers, mobs, money laundering etc...I mean real impacts, real change, who tell me who if not these people for the most part. Has it made a XX,XXX  people a few bucks, sure, is it worth investing in more, absolutely, good investment when you look around. But do not think I kid mysef to believe this will in any way ever end differently then fiat. Now that I have seen that chart my heart sank. If anything it may be the same fiat rulers who hold those coins, one more big money game to screw the average guy, make more money themselves and cement paper as real money...again, sad.
lassdas
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 02:56:19 AM

This is not about control,
it's about distribution of wealth.

The fact is the coin as of now has done good for who exactly,...
For everyone,
that obviously includes drug dealers, mobs, money laundering etc.

I personally never bought or sold any drugs with bitcoins,
I never laundered any money,
yet it has done good for me.
CryptoDomains

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 03:05:51 AM

This is not about control,
it's about distribution of wealth.

The fact is the coin as of now has done good for who exactly,...
For everyone,
that obviously includes drug dealers, mobs, money laundering etc.

I personally never bought or sold any drugs with bitcoins,
I never laundered any money,
yet it has done good for me.

I don't doubt is has done good for some people (people have made a few bucks, sure) outside the shady world but when you want it to have a global impact and in the same breath say that is what it will or has done all while stating it has nothing to do with control and if centralization or not...shows you do not understand. I am sorry you just do not understand what I am trying to say, you cannot have another version of fiat and expect a change, period. Right now bitcoin offers a handful of advancements and differences, payment method, no government control, tax evasion op., investment and so on but you cannot over look what will ultimately strangle growth. As you stated based on that chart it is no different then any currency in the grand scheme of things.

No one can look at that chart and say, oh good!

lassdas
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 03:12:09 AM

.. and in the same breath say that is what it will or has done all while stating it has nothing to do with control and if centralization or not...shows you do not understand.
You're mixing up something here.

I'm not saying Bitcoin has nothing todo with control and/or decentralization,
I'm just saying this thread has nothing todo with control and/or decentralization,
that's 2 completely different things.  Wink

No matter how much bitcoins you own, if it's millions of bitcoins, or just a single satoshi,
you don't have any more, or less control over bitcoin, than anyone else.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 03:14:24 AM

This is an interesting distribution chart, as the number of addresses holding 1k or more bitcoins is very small in comparison to the world's population.   Where do you sit?

Address, wallet, and person are all very different things and have very different distributions. That chart is for addresses and very little else can be determined from it.

You misinterpreted the chart. Addresses with more than 0.01 BTC are in the top 3.3%, not the top 1%. Addresses with at least 1 BTC are in the top 1%.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4470

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 03:24:01 AM

Gotta say, those numbers are VERY surprising.  I would have expected way more holding 1000+ BTC based on early adopters.  I guess I'm not as late in the game as I thought.  Cool

those that hold a combined value of 1000+ coins.. spread it out into addresses of 10-100 btc

i know on of my high value wallets contains a few addresses of even smaller amount balance splits than 10btc per address, yet if i combined my  address balances and then combine the wallets holding all those address balances, then it would show something different..

remember also when you spend 10btc of 100btc for instance. the other 90 then moves to a new 'change address' so you end p having more addresses in your wallet then you thought you had.

which basically means that the chart is meaningless. exchanges have hundreds if not thousands of deposit addresses, savvy savers have dozons of addresses. so there is no way of knowing true 'user numbers' based on that chart.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
ashapasa

Activity: 420

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 10:18:13 AM

is the concentration of bitcoin among a few people the reason for its high price.
Open4lies

Activity: 552

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 10:30:12 AM

is the concentration of bitcoin among a few people the reason for its high price.

I bet quite opposite, the more people using bitcoin, the higher value.
And I bet bitcoin is more evenly distributed now than one year ago.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████▄▄
░░░░░░░░░▄▄░░░░░░░░░████████
░░░░░▄▄██████▄▄░░░░░███████████▄▄
░▄▄██████████████▄▄███████████████▄
░▀▀██████████████▀▀░░░▀▀████████████
██▄▄▀▀██████▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀████████
██████▄▄▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███████
████████░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀███
████████░░░░░▄▄███████▄▄░░░░░███▄▄░░▀
████████░░░███████████████░░░███████▄
░░▀▀████░░░░░▀▀███████▀▀░░░░░████████