Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 03:10:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How are cryptocurrencies ranked? Price, Project or market performance?  (Read 129 times)
Bigbay (OP)

Activity: 159
Merit: 2

View Profile
June 25, 2018, 01:37:30 PM

Hello everyone, this question of how cryptocurrency are being ranked has been disturbing my mind and I need clarifications and a good explanation on how they are being ranked.

For instance, On CoinMarketcap there are some other cryptocurrency that has higher prices than Ethereum and yet they are ranked below. So this made me jump into conclusion that it is ranked based on project and market performance.

Shed more light on this if am wrong. Thanks
bitChipper

Activity: 896
Merit: 290

View Profile
June 25, 2018, 07:59:36 PM

By default CMC (coin market cap) will show all cryptos by rank of market cap.

The price of a coin shown on CMC is the Market Cap divided by the Circulating supply (Mrkt Cap / Cir Supply)

The market cap can be found by multiplying the price by the circulating supply (Price X Cir Supply)

So the market cap shown on CMC is really just an aggregate of the most recent price paid on all exchanges, and in most cases this price is defined by bitcoin price in satoshi, since most alts only trade to bitcoin still. This is why you will see alts go down in USD value when bitcoin goes down.

CMC will not show any advanced statistics like github contributions, sentiment reports, google searches ect ect...these can better define a coin.

Hope I was of some help. good luck
kingzpro

Activity: 756
Merit: 13

DIFX - Digital Finacial Exchange

View Profile
June 25, 2018, 08:02:23 PM

i think you are asking for basic factor for coin ranking on coin market cap, well the answer is simple, coins are ranked according to the daily volume of each coin, btc is the most traded coin at the moment and its volume exceeds $100 billion so it is ranked number one, similarly Eth has second highest volume so it is ranked number two, i hope you understood now.

sabrikks

Activity: 174
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2018, 08:06:23 PM

Well coinmarketcap rank crypto by there market cap, it means circulating supply multiplied by the price of the coin itself

Bigbay (OP)

Activity: 159
Merit: 2

View Profile
June 26, 2018, 09:17:16 AM

i think you are asking for basic factor for coin ranking on coin market cap, well the answer is simple, coins are ranked according to the daily volume of each coin, btc is the most traded coin at the moment and its volume exceeds $100 billion so it is ranked number one, similarly Eth has second highest volume so it is ranked number two, i hope you understood now.
Now I think you have answered my question correctly. So they rank by Daily volume of each coin in the market. So for instance if a coin starts trading than bitcoin and has larger volume you are saying it will definitely be ranked first?

Thanks for saying your point of view which i think it seems right and reasonable.
AndyRock

Activity: 210
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 27, 2018, 04:41:47 AM

Basically the cryptocurrencies are ranked by their default coin market cap (CMC). The CMC shows the price of a coin by dividing the circulating supply.
cryptodreem

Activity: 252

View Profile
June 27, 2018, 02:13:37 PM

I believe cryptocurrency ranked with its performance. If investors can earn profit from a coin, it means this coins performance is good. Because every investors invest in this market for profit.
rayk

Activity: 448
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2018, 02:20:35 PM

coinMARKETCAP, it lists cryptocurrencies according to their market caps, also listing them according to their prices is nonsense. But you can also find such lists.
kumiskura

Activity: 632
Merit: 122

View Profile
June 27, 2018, 02:24:29 PM

Now I think you have answered my question correctly. So they rank by Daily volume of each coin in the market. So for instance if a coin starts trading than bitcoin and has larger volume you are saying it will definitely be ranked first?

Thanks for saying your point of view which i think it seems right and reasonable.

yes indeed it will replace Bitcoin on coinmarketcap list,
just like what happened with Ethereum a few years ago,it surpassed Bitcoin for a few times and reached the top.
but it did not last long,because they knew Bitcoin is the king and ETH only gained that much because of its mass pump and popularity.
husanlarisa

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 27, 2018, 03:14:36 PM

As it is said by it's name, CoinMarket cap ranks crypto by it's market cap, not price or other sides.
But there're some cool web-sites and experts that rank projects by #team, #product and etc.
You need to find critereas that are suitable for you.
bitChipper

Activity: 896
Merit: 290

View Profile
June 27, 2018, 04:15:45 PM

yes indeed it will replace Bitcoin on coinmarketcap list,
just like what happened with Ethereum a few years ago,it surpassed Bitcoin for a few times and reached the top.
but it did not last long,because they knew Bitcoin is the king and ETH only gained that much because of its mass pump and popularity.

bullshit posting here, both are wrong also

it sort default by MARKET CAP not VOLUME

stupid spam bot posting on this forum is out of control, jesus they should just create their own ERC-20 token and reward people who report this garbage
mc.craigsvictor

Activity: 238
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 28, 2018, 12:16:25 AM

There are many factors that are considered for the ranking of cryptocurrency. Firstly, the demand and supply of coins play a major role. Then the liquidity, volatility etc palays important roles too.
poornamelessme

Activity: 1204
Merit: 509

View Profile
June 28, 2018, 12:26:16 AM

Ranked by marketcap, which others have already stated. If you want rankings by other factors, you could look at Weiss and places like that. But their accuracy is somewhat dubious in my opinion.
AllenTurner

Activity: 109

View Profile
July 07, 2018, 07:47:27 PM

I think that you want to know the process of ranking or the base of the ranking any coin in the market. Actually in the market of crypto currency the coin is ranked based on their volume of trading. The coin that is transacted most in a day will be the first coin on that day. Now the bitcoin is on first as it has the highest number of trading.
xIIImaL
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 07, 2018, 07:57:50 PM

I think that you want to know the process of ranking or the base of the ranking any coin in the market. Actually in the market of crypto currency the coin is ranked based on their volume of trading. The coin that is transacted most in a day will be the first coin on that day. Now the bitcoin is on first as it has the highest number of trading.

Volume, circulation and demand makes the crypto currencies price and rank mate. You need to check the Coinmarketcap site to find the rank for your coins you have invested it may give clear view about the price history, marketplace and volume.

If you good at the analyze this you will be good at investing on the crpyto currencies and profit with it easily.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: