Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:48:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PayPal - good or bad?  (Read 4570 times)
badger4life (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 06:06:10 PM

I've never had a paypal account so I wanted to try and get some feedback from the bitcoin community about the service.  I understand how a paypal account can have value and why someone would want to create one.  I've also heard bad things about paypal and how they can be very heavy handed. 

Any constructive replies will be very much appreciated  Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
idontknow

Activity: 28

View Profile
September 24, 2011, 02:05:58 AM

You should ask yourself what do you want to use it for exactly?

I get chills down my spine if I use them and think they're "evil" but that's personal. Sorry not very consturctive.
annelions

View Profile
September 24, 2011, 02:09:56 AM

I dislike PP's policies, but they're easier to use (IMO) than Google Checkout. I don't know about Google Checkout, but PayPal is very quick to freeze accounts with 'suspicious' activity. Then, from what I've heard, it can be near impossible to unfreeze the money.

Suspicious activity tends to be actually processing a lot of payments.
bitwiser

Activity: 5

View Profile
September 24, 2011, 01:31:46 PM

I've never had a paypal account so I wanted to try and get some feedback from the bitcoin community about the service.  I understand how a paypal account can have value and why someone would want to create one.  I've also heard bad things about paypal and how they can be very heavy handed. 

PayPal is very convenient because it's a fast and easy way to transfer funds using a credit card which offers the most protection when doing business online in what
may be lets say, uncertain situations where there might be more risk of something going. Also you're protected against fraud by the credit card company and PayPal
itself to a lesser extent. PayPal also supports multiple currencies so it's convenient and cheap for dealing with buyers/sellers in other countries using other currencies.

But the problem with using PayPal for Bitcoins is two-fold:

1. PayPal doesn't allow its service to be used to buy or sell Bitcoins and they will instantly close an account if they discover you doing that.

2. If you're selling Bitcoins and taking PayPal as payment, there is nothing to stop the buyer making a chargeback against your PayPal account/credit card.

Turbor
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

BitMinter

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2011, 10:01:52 AM

I dislike PP's policies, but they're easier to use (IMO) than Google Checkout. I don't know about Google Checkout, but PayPal is very quick to freeze accounts with 'suspicious' activity. Then, from what I've heard, it can be near impossible to unfreeze the money.

Suspicious activity tends to be actually processing a lot of payments.

+1 I used a VPN connection once to make a payment and they called me at 2am the same day to let me verify that i made the payment. Short after, they froze my account for no real reason. Did not lose any money but i dislike their policies much. They are much too restrictive. Sad, because the idea behind PayPal is good and payment works without problems (when it works).

deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2011, 05:45:40 PM

There is good and bad, and then there is evil.
omarabid

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 25, 2011, 09:30:12 PM

PayPal is too restrictive, they say. Well, PayPal is not available in my country; and as a turn around I'm using a french PayPal account with a Virtual Credit Card. It's more than 3 years now, and I might have processed more than $10K in payments. Never had a problem. I even did a charge back, and had a conversion with a PayPal agent.

Well, I think I'm lucky. Still, I don't leave more than $500 in my PP balance. Everything is fine. PayPal is really great for payment, I hope one day it becomes available.
lord

Activity: 44

View Profile
September 25, 2011, 10:00:19 PM

well it is widely accepted all over the net, so if ur doing business online, you have to have a paypal account - so far i didn't have any serious probs.

but nevertheless i hope bitcoin will blow them away in the next few years.
mizike29

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 25, 2011, 10:07:23 PM

Paypal is very very good, easy to use, VERY VERY SAFE, secure, fast, been using it forever with ebay, amazon, newegg.  Now with bitcoin its another story, but you can still be safe with bitcoin and paypal just have to take some extra precautions and be smart with it, but for anything else, paypal is awesome, but you do pay a litte for what they provide.

quartz92

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 25, 2011, 11:45:42 PM

Paypal is secure, but at the same time your money can get locked away for a very long time. It can go either way
FreeTrade
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 26, 2011, 04:12:54 AM

Paypal is generally pretty good these days if you're a buyer. You should try to fund the account through a credit card, but they'll hassle you for your bank details more and more as time goes by. They'll suspend your account if they see suspicious activity (like VPN login above, or if you're accessing from a different country), but this generally means you'll just have to jump through some hoops. However, as a buyer, things will be in your favor.

As a seller, you're in a much more precarious position. It'll be easy for your customers (see above), but it is easy for dishonest customers to request a charge back, and the stories of PP suspending accounts for months, and just stealing the balance are legion.

Paypal's business model is to process the 95% of transactions that are 'no hassle' and low-probability of fraud. They don't want the other 5% of transactions and if you think your transactions fall into this category, you'll want to avoid PP. PP doesn't want to spend time sorting the wheat from the chaff on these transactions, it would much rather that you just go away.

This is gap in the market for Bitcoin. If you're buying from Nigeria, or you want shipping to a different address, or you're travelling in Asia, or you have very low margins on your product, or you're not eligible for a credit card, and you still have the temerity to want to be part of the largest marketplace on earth, then Bitcoin is for you.

Membercoin - Layer 1 Coin used for the member.cash decentralized social network.
10% Interest On All Balances. Browser and Solo Mining. 100% Distributed to Users and Developers.
nefanon

Activity: 112

View Profile
September 26, 2011, 03:08:44 PM

Simple Answer:

If not selling bitcoins: PayPal is AWESOME! Cheesy

If selling bitcoins: PayPal is RISKY!  Shocked
fireball500

Activity: 22

View Profile
September 26, 2011, 04:12:22 PM

its a necessary evil if you want to buy/sell on ebay  Undecided
Albert Schweitzer

Activity: 13

View Profile
September 26, 2011, 05:29:24 PM

paypal is american = evil ;-)
nefanon

View Profile
September 26, 2011, 05:42:51 PM

Ouch! My red, white, and blue heart hurts, lol.
codymanix

Activity: 203
Merit: 121

Gir: I'm gonna sing the Doom Song now..

View Profile
September 26, 2011, 09:09:39 PM

Paypal isn't supported anymore by lots of Bitcoin market sites because Paypal is unsafe (Payer can revert Transaction thereafter).
Additionally Paypal is cancelling transaction by themselves if they find out that the transaction was used to pay for bitcoin. I have heard this, but cnnot find a source.

Programming tutorials, Tools, Games & Humor http://deutronium.de.vu
My Vircurex referral code for persistant 0.05% trade discount: 750-33267 or use
https://vircurex.com/welcome/index?referral_id=750-33267
nefanon

View Profile
September 26, 2011, 11:31:05 PM

Blackout, a regular on these forums, has gotten PayPal to fight chargebacks successgully using block explorer records recently. We should get him in here.

I think the thread he said that in was called "the current ebay paypal fiasco" (i cant find it atm).
cruikshank

Activity: 84

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 01:33:54 AM

Used it in the past for online purchases since it was easy enough, though I never kept any kind of balance; I would have the amount needed for payment wired to the account, and pay from there.

If you are going to make any transfers to it from a bank/credit union, see what, if any, fees your bank has for doing transfers.

1JvnFCbMXAyeooPggF9snLAeg3A2QVV8eh
annelions

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 03:19:56 AM

Used it in the past for online purchases since it was easy enough, though I never kept any kind of balance; I would have the amount needed for payment wired to the account, and pay from there.

If you are going to make any transfers to it from a bank/credit union, see what, if any, fees your bank has for doing transfers.

I've never seen any bank with fees for PP withdrawals/deposits. From what I can tell, as far as the bank is concerned, PP withdrawals and deposits work like regular checks. More or less. It's not an account to account transfer, which DOES cost money (I think my bank charges about $35 for that).
LittleRichie

Activity: 2

View Profile
September 27, 2011, 06:58:39 AM

Ouch! My red, white, and blue heart hurts, lol.

Haha! I agree.

I use Paypal almost daily, it's the easiest way I have of moving money around.  The invoice feature is also nice.  Sure, they charge you for transactions, but it's worth it for the seller security.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: