Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:31:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fund favourite bitcoin projects (new website)  (Read 4957 times)
genjix (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
March 17, 2011, 02:43:37 AM
Last edit: March 17, 2011, 02:58:24 AM by genjix

http://92.7.172.0/

Don't have a VPS for that around that I can use right now. Can someone please host this.

It's a site where you propose features for Bitcoin and donate. Once the feature is completed & confirmed, then it goes to the dev who wrote that feature.

It's an experiment into how future free software development could work.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 17, 2011, 03:11:50 AM

Sounds like you could spin it off as kickstarter clone, except with bitcoin.

genjix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2011, 05:18:46 AM

Thank you! That's great.

Obviously the site is very basic for now. I hacked it up as an experiment. If it grows then I'll add features later on. See what happens.

Like imagine a bug tracker, but where people can donate to prioritise bugs.

ATM the front page heuristic is to select the top 10 most funded open tickets so far and the 5 newest ones (mixed together).

The kickstarter thing sounds nice, but not my goal here. I want to see free software projects gain funding. Money goes really far in free software and even the smallest amounts will lead to a huge quality increase for everyone.
gigabytecoin

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
March 17, 2011, 11:30:03 AM

Send me a PM with your site idea/intentions. There may be some room at my inn.

I run a fairly powerful (and under used) dedicated server that I use to host my own personal projects.

I even have a few hundred domain names lying around we could maybe attach it to.
Dobry Den

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 17, 2011, 09:21:01 PM

I logged in and posted a test project successfully, but now I get an error when I try to visit the website.
genjix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2011, 09:26:12 PM

I logged in and posted a test project successfully, but now I get an error when I try to visit the website.

It's on my laptop because I don't have a permanent host yet.
dissipate

Activity: 288
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 18, 2011, 12:26:15 AM

Thank you! That's great.

Obviously the site is very basic for now. I hacked it up as an experiment. If it grows then I'll add features later on. See what happens.

Like imagine a bug tracker, but where people can donate to prioritise bugs.

ATM the front page heuristic is to select the top 10 most funded open tickets so far and the 5 newest ones (mixed together).

The kickstarter thing sounds nice, but not my goal here. I want to see free software projects gain funding. Money goes really far in free software and even the smallest amounts will lead to a huge quality increase for everyone.

This is awesome, but can it be used to fund non-bitcoin projects? Did you see my post here: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4435.0
genjix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 18, 2011, 12:52:58 AM

Maybe? Firstly I want to setup a dev oriented version for Bitcoin project development (think bug tracker where bugs have bounties attached)... Then once that's hosted, lets make another one for anything else?

Kind of just like lets see where this goes. I haven't got hosting yet FWIW. Still looking.
ryepdx

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 18, 2011, 05:47:30 AM

Sounds like you could spin it off as kickstarter clone, except with bitcoin.

That would be an excellent idea for a bitcoin-based service. I've been thinking about making something like that myself.
abstraction

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 18, 2011, 06:18:23 AM

Does the site manage a wallet? Suppose two people come up with a bug fix, who gets the bounty? Who distributes the funds?

I see the vision, but not a clear mission statement. People are more likely to donate if there is some concrete set of goals. Here is my attempt at a mission statement:
I, genjix, run this website to facilitate the development of free open source software. I shall reward bounties to those who develop the most wanted and needed new features as well as bug fixes. I choose to focus my attention on the Bitcoin project.

Before using it for Bitcoin, why not use it for itself? Let other developers help you build your vision. As soon as your project is old enough to walk on its own two legs, it could be used for anybody's vision or project. Then, you just use it for Bitcoin and focus on that if that is your passion.

Awesome idea.
genjix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 18, 2011, 06:38:19 AM

Thanks to dissipate Grin He donated 200 BTC so I can buy a VPS.

18DRwiDQPWDz6yiNfbysS5qNRFvnxCwKpE
stakhanov

Activity: 175
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 18, 2011, 06:53:54 AM

BRAVO! I was just thinking how cool it would be to have a service like fundry or kickstarter with bitcoins, and *BAM*, somebody has already started working on it!

Note that you could use your site to fund its own development, btw  Cheesy
Bimmerhead
Legendary

Activity: 1291
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 21, 2011, 01:26:37 AM

BRAVO! I was just thinking how cool it would be to have a service like fundry or kickstarter with bitcoins, and *BAM*, somebody has already started working on it!

Note that you could use your site to fund its own development, btw  Cheesy

+1

This is a great idea, and I'm posting mainly to make sure I'm able to keep track of this thread since the forum subscriptions don't work.

Please keep us up to date, and I'd be willing to help fund development of this idea.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 21, 2011, 01:40:05 AM

Everyone really likes the idea of kickstarter clone for bitcoin.

genjix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2011, 01:41:51 AM

VPS is paid for Grin Just waiting for MagicalTux to give me the details since a few days (well he HAS suffered an earthquake).
fabianhjr

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Do The Evolution

View Profile
March 21, 2011, 02:29:52 AM

http://92.7.172.0/

Don't have a VPS for that around that I can use right now. Can someone please host this.

It's a site where you propose features for Bitcoin and donate. Once the feature is completed & confirmed, then it goes to the dev who wrote that feature.

It's an experiment into how future free software development could work.

Please, do not donate a single Bitcoin until the security issues are resolved.
genjix: http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:Attack

I will give you a clue on what to fix first, SQL Injections.
If you need help contact me. I can help you fix this. :-)

EDIT: Also, all bounties ask for the same address. Tongue

Code:
            UPDATE proposals
            SET
                shortdes='\'',
                info='\''
            WHERE pid='7' AND ownid='7';

genjix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2011, 03:21:23 AM

Don't worry. Those problems are already fixed. It's actually using a utility library from another project,

http://gitorious.org/intersango/master/trees/master

When I upload it, I'll migrate the new library over.

(The problem FYI was that in util.php cleanup_string applies a regex. Originally it was using ereg_replace but that's deprecated. The newer preg_replace requires / / on both sides of the search string.)

I'll keep you posted once everything's done so you can check  Grin For now, I'm still waiting on the VPS from mtux.

http://gitorious.org/postecon
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: