Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:14:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Could smartphones scan a QR code on a whole side of a bus?  (Read 3771 times)
Bitcoin Swami (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 06:41:44 PM

Seems like a great way to spread the word of bitcoins plus a way for people to donate to a charity if a bus had a huge QR code on the side of it for instant donations.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BitVapes

Activity: 140

BitVapes.com

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2011, 06:45:08 PM

as long as it itsn't moving too fast, sure Smiley  side of a bus, billboard, etc

Buy Electronic Cigarettes with Bitcoin @ http://bitvapes.com
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 06:47:18 PM

Yeah that'd be a cool PR project... "Scan this bus to donate to Red Cross" or something like that with a big Bitcoin logo.

Anyone have a bus?  Smiley
ParrotyBit

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 09:43:25 PM

Sounds like a way to lose more money than you get in donations. Even if it's your own bus, you'd probably get more money just running commercial ads on it.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 09:53:43 PM

It would work as long as the bus was sitting still when a pedestrian tried to scan it.  It takes a couple seconds for the scanner to lock on.  A moving bus, no way.  A stationary billboard or poster works great.  I've lately found them on the backs of resturant ketchup bottles and magazine ads.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Jointops420

Activity: 132

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 10:52:58 PM

No doubt you will be able to scan a moving bus in a year or two when phones and apps are a bit quicker.
Tonka Branded Truck

Activity: 259
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 11:49:54 PM

Yeah that'd be a cool PR project... "Scan this bus to donate to Red Cross" or something like that with a big Bitcoin logo.
"Run home, download some finicky poorly-documented software, install it, configure it, wait for a month or two until you actually mine a coin (or go on Dwolla and transfer some funds to some weird underground exchange, shift that into Bitcoin, and withdrawl to your wallet), then rush back here and scan this code to donate to Red Cross, or maybe it'll go to some sixteen year old minarchist, who knows, not like it'll be refundable".

Sounds frickin awesome.

deslok

Activity: 462

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 11:55:04 PM

It would work as long as the bus was sitting still when a pedestrian tried to scan it.  It takes a couple seconds for the scanner to lock on.  A moving bus, no way.  A stationary billboard or poster works great.  I've lately found them on the backs of resturant ketchup bottles and magazine ads.

I've scaned the heinz bottles you're refering to it doesn't go anywhere interesting, there are QR's on the posters i'm printing(that evoorhees designed)

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2011, 12:00:33 AM

"Run home, download some finicky poorly-documented software, install it, configure it, wait for a month or two until you actually mine a coin (or go on Dwolla and transfer some funds to some weird underground exchange, shift that into Bitcoin, and withdrawl to your wallet), then rush back here and scan this code to donate to Red Cross, or maybe it'll go to some sixteen year old minarchist, who knows, not like it'll be refundable".

Sounds frickin awesome.

Troll's first post since getting out of newbie jail. Perhaps if he wasn't hit on the side of the head with a Tonka truck when a kid, he could have added to this thread by stating: How about a QR code pasted somewhere at the bus stop?

WiseOldOwl

Activity: 238

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2011, 01:51:13 AM

I have a buddy who handles the decal wrapping of the county's bus system. That would be quite some fun to switch out his decal set at the beginning of the week....
I have been inspired and will be making a QR code advertisement in my area asap. I will post when accomplished.
Around here we have people who will pass out 1,000's of fliers for like 50 bucks too. That might be something to use at a huge parking lot or something.
As a matter of fact I have a bunch of great ways that political parties push the limits of advertising their campaigns.
If you guys are interested I can post some, I feel like it is my duty to teach everyone about how to play the game of politics we will surely be cornered into.

Lesson 1 - Never ask a Bureaucrat for permission, but rather do it first and handle whether or not it is permissible later (We are talking about questionable acts like putting a bunch of fliers on cars at a walmart or putting signs up on a freeway overpass, not real crimes).

*Also for when you hold an event that is filmed, this is a big tip. Do not get to big of an area, and always put less chairs out then you think you will need. You can bring more chairs in as you need them. You want it to feel crowded like a great turnout for the cameras.

I am not just guessing here, I have been to school for this stuff, if anyone has questions about how to use real life tactics to advance their bitcoin operations and all the little idiosyncrasies that actually do matter to advancing a project, or platform, or group, please ask Smiley
WiseOldOwl

Activity: 238

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2011, 01:57:06 AM

One group that does some conservative action had a cool idea for their ad.

They climbed down on the bank of a freeway covered in grass. Basically a huge wall of grass that thousands of people drive by everyday.
And with sticks in the ground and string tied between the sticks, they made block letters. Then they take the fastest growing grass seed they can find and apply it in the boundaries they made.
Remove the sticks and strings.

Over the next few weeks a nice advertisement will grow in, and you have done nothing really. Im not saying to do this i am just bringing to light one of the millions of things that various political campaigns have instituted to get their point across.
RandyFolds

Activity: 448

View Profile
September 24, 2011, 02:12:15 AM

I have a buddy who handles the decal wrapping of the county's bus system. That would be quite some fun to switch out his decal set at the beginning of the week....
I have been inspired and will be making a QR code advertisement in my area asap. I will post when accomplished.
Around here we have people who will pass out 1,000's of fliers for like 50 bucks too. That might be something to use at a huge parking lot or something.
As a matter of fact I have a bunch of great ways that political parties push the limits of advertising their campaigns.
If you guys are interested I can post some, I feel like it is my duty to teach everyone about how to play the game of politics we will surely be cornered into.

Lesson 1 - Never ask a Bureaucrat for permission, but rather do it first and handle whether or not it is permissible later (We are talking about questionable acts like putting a bunch of fliers on cars at a walmart or putting signs up on a freeway overpass, not real crimes).

*Also for when you hold an event that is filmed, this is a big tip. Do not get to big of an area, and always put less chairs out then you think you will need. You can bring more chairs in as you need them. You want it to feel crowded like a great turnout for the cameras.

I am not just guessing here, I have been to school for this stuff, if anyone has questions about how to use real life tactics to advance their bitcoin operations and all the little idiosyncrasies that actually do matter to advancing a project, or platform, or group, please ask Smiley

I have a question: Where were you for Bruce Wagner? Cheesy
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 24, 2011, 02:42:45 AM

i was just thinking about 'big' QR codes the other day and thinking that one day someone will do one big enough for astronauts to scan it.

or what if a landscape supplies company built a huge 'QR' garden that linked to their website and could be viewed by small planes and helicopters (and eventually people using google maps). might be a cool marketing ploy.

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2011, 02:43:58 AM

QR crop circles?  Well, crop squares.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 24, 2011, 02:44:46 AM

yeah with a link back to whatever alien lifeform put it there.
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2011, 02:47:31 AM

yeah with a link back to whatever alien lifeform put it there.

By alien lifeform, do you mean UK teenagers wearing black suits and pushing handheld turf rollers in the dark?

Bitcoin Swami (OP)

Activity: 182

View Profile
September 24, 2011, 03:03:07 AM

What you gonna advertise?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2011, 03:18:03 AM

That's exactly what I was thinking when I first read about the fast growing grass. You're not a Gray, by chance, are you?
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2011, 03:31:44 AM

That's exactly what I was thinking when I first read about the fast growing grass. You're not a Gray, by chance, are you?

Fjord!

sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 24, 2011, 03:37:37 AM

Sounds like a way to lose more money than you get in donations. Even if it's your own bus, you'd probably get more money just running commercial ads on it.

Not to mention some jerk with some black paint and a /dif pic to go by could change it to donate elsewhere. ;p  Don't ask why I would even think of such a dastardly thing...

edit; the idea is not a bad one though. Just needs some tweaking..

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: