Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 07:26:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Gtx 1060 3gb obsolete now ?  (Read 591 times)
BitcoinSupremo (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 1442
Merit: 529

View Profile
June 25, 2018, 09:11:03 PM

I have seen that the Z9 mini is doing massive harm to the Zec network as the increase in hashrate is responsible for this thing happening here in the pic below. I have 2 x 1060 3Gb which I don't know what to mine with them, they seem not worthy anymore to use. Any ideas where to switch, tried Monero V7 doesn't work it is doing even less than Zec, tried Lyra2Rev same shit.

MagicSmoker

Activity: 420
Merit: 182

View Profile
June 25, 2018, 09:21:54 PM

I have a bunch of 3GB 1060s, too, and they are doing fairly well on any Ethash coin besides Ethereum (due to DAG size). Musicoin and Ubiq being two notable examples that aren't total shitcoins.

They also perform very well on Lyra2rev2 and Neoscrypt; I've mined Vertcoin and Trezarcoin, respectively, with them.

Otherwise, I mainly had them mining Zencash (Equihash) but recently took them off Equihash completely because difficulty started to rise from the ASICs.

I haven't tried Ravencoin or Pigeoncoin (X16r and X16s, respectively) but Nvidia does well on those algos in general.

Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
June 25, 2018, 09:53:22 PM

I have a bunch of 3GB 1060s, too, and they are doing fairly well on any Ethash coin besides Ethereum (due to DAG size). Musicoin and Ubiq being two notable examples that aren't total shitcoins.

Those ethash copy cat coins are doing well cause eth is not in pos yet, as soon as eth goes pos then their profitability will crash to hell but on a bright side, crash more than this will be hard, profitability is so low, since 2015, gpu coins profitability was never this low. No miner with a sane mind can survive with profitability this low.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
MagicSmoker

View Profile
June 25, 2018, 10:03:44 PM

Those ethash copy cat coins are doing well cause eth is not in pos yet, as soon as eth goes pos then their profitability will crash to hell but on a bright side, crash more than this will be hard, profitability is so low, since 2015, gpu coins profitability was never this low. No miner with a sane mind can survive with profitability this low.

You forgot the "hehe"!

UBQ is definitely a copy-cat coin, but MUSIC has an interesting and unique use-case.

ETH going to PoS will definitely wreck all the other Ethash coins, though, but until then they are mineable.

socks435
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1030

Privacy is always important

View Profile
June 25, 2018, 10:33:35 PM

The only way for now to make gtx 1060 profitable is to hold the coins and sell them in the right time but if your electricity cost is high better to stop mining and rest miner for few months.

Use this calculator http://whattomine.com then check if what coin is more profitable with your card.
According to whattomine ETC is in the first coin on the list.

Solving blocks can't be solved without my rigs.
TheRealCashen

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 25, 2018, 10:58:44 PM

The 1060 3gb card is a beast.
riccer33

Activity: 4

View Profile
June 25, 2018, 11:07:16 PM

Yes they are obsolete so do the prudent thing, box them up and send them to me so I will utilize them for the greater good of crypto.   PM for my address..... Cool

MagicSmoker

View Profile
June 25, 2018, 11:36:10 PM

The only way for now to make gtx 1060 profitable is to hold the coins and sell them in the right time but if your electricity cost is high better to stop mining and rest miner for few months.

Use this calculator http://whattomine.com then check if what coin is more profitable with your card.
According to whattomine ETC is in the first coin on the list.

I have 1080s and 1060s and according to WTM I can make $1.10/day with the 1080s that cost me $550-$600 each and $0.77/day with the 1060s that cost me $260-$280 each. So, around 70% of the earnings for half the cost; I'll take that every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Oh, and I remember well everyone saying to only buy the 1080ti because that would get you the most hashrate per slot; the fact that a 1080ti was going for $1200 didn't seem to factor into the equation at all. I'm glad I (mostly) ignored that advice and mainly bought 1060s instead, because while they won't win any speed records, they also don't use much power and perform respectably well on every algo except for CryptoNight. I was deeply unhappy with my 1080 purchases until the Ethlargement Pill came along; that, at least, saved them from ignominy.

jmigdlc99

Activity: 784
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2018, 11:59:10 PM

If you have 1060 3GBs right now (which you seem to do) and aren't asking because you plan on buying new ones, then they aren't obsolete and aren't too bad to use for mining different coins other than Ethereum. These 1060s are only obsolete for mining Ethereum because like others said, the Ethereum DAG file size is already too large to be handled by GPUs with 3GB and below.

Monero and Lyra2rev aren't exactly coins that the 1060 3GBs excel in mining. I'd mention other coins that are profitable for the 1060 but i'd let you do your own research. But just so you know, there are other coins out there that are giving me a good profit.

0xacBBa937A57ecE1298B5d350f40C0Eb16eC5fA4B
Roadrage68

Activity: 24

View Profile
June 26, 2018, 12:24:50 AM

You should be able to mine ETH until May 2019 if using an OS other than Windows...

Does anyone else think that ETH going to POS will increase the price of other ETHash coins?
My thought was that most everyone will have to stop mining ETH and switch to some other Ethash coin and that demand should increase it's value..

I'm far from an expert but it was a thought, although maybe flawed. 
What is your take?
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
June 26, 2018, 04:52:35 AM

You forgot the "hehe"!

Good catch. Either Metroid's account was hacked and someone else posted this or the situation he paints is so grim and dire that even he cannot manage to make light of the situation any longer.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1718

CoinPoker.com

View Profile
June 26, 2018, 06:02:19 AM

There is a reason why this GPU especially the 3GB models are popping up everywhere all over eBay and Craigslist.

Basically from what I've heard you need to use another OS and you might be able to get a few more DAG cycles out of ETH mining.

You can mine the other DaggerHash forks but the problem is that most people who old GPUs like the Radeon 7950/7970 (millions of these GPUs in existance) they are also mining the low dag coins since there is nothing else out there.

Or you can just mine on NH and just HODL'd the BTC you receive daily. Maybe in 6 months or 12 months or so BTC will moon again due to FOMO rally fewer and you'll get $20-30K per BTC.

divxmaniac

Activity: 1

View Profile
June 26, 2018, 08:28:36 AM

use hiveos and mine ethereum.

https://www.nicehash.com/help/which-stratum-servers-are-available

3gb works with nicehash with stratum servers and config sample is allready at browser screen.

vlad230

Activity: 616
Merit: 279

View Profile
June 26, 2018, 09:38:36 AM

I think you could take a look here first: http://whattomine.com/ But I guess you know this already, right?

You can see where your GPUs will get the best hash rates and then work your way through finding the correct coin to mine. Your GPUs may get some profit but it's not what it used to be Smiley

Also, you do realize you need to find a new coin that people are't mining too intensively and the difficulty is still low to be able to get a good profit.

I doubt people will just promote their find here.
BitcoinSupremo (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 1442
Merit: 529

View Profile
June 26, 2018, 05:56:24 PM

Unfortunately I know that but it is because 1060 3 gb cannot mine a lot of coins. I guess I will be left to find that Vertcoin which seems the most profitable one on Nvidia cards but I really like to be paid directly with Bitcoin through Nicehash rather than taking the time to set up everything manually and in the end to exchange that coin to Bitcoin.
Rasanders22

Activity: 67
Merit: 3

View Profile
June 26, 2018, 09:04:46 PM

I have one 1 and I get ~24 mh/s using hive os minding ethereum.
MagicSmoker

View Profile
June 26, 2018, 09:23:11 PM

Yeah, the 1060 3GB delivers surprisingly good performance for the price. I mean, I wouldn't build a farm around them, but if you are a gamer and want to do a little mining on the side (how I drifted into this space) then this model makes a lot of sense. They aren't over-inflated in value like the 6GB model, not to mention the higher power Nvidia cards, and are more versatile with less futzing around than comparably priced AMD cards. If they are showing up used in good condition (ie - not caked in dust) and priced less than $250 I'd consider adding more to my collection.
preda

Activity: 756
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 26, 2018, 09:42:45 PM

Unfortunately I know that but it is because 1060 3 gb cannot mine a lot of coins. I guess I will be left to find that Vertcoin which seems the most profitable one on Nvidia cards but I really like to be paid directly with Bitcoin through Nicehash rather than taking the time to set up everything manually and in the end to exchange that coin to Bitcoin.

who give you this info?

i have 18x 1060 3gb and i am mining all coins

actually mining etc, the limit is just with windows if you use linux you can mine 100% coins out there
RentGPU

Activity: 661
Merit: 258

View Profile
June 26, 2018, 10:56:46 PM

I have 18xGTX 1060 3G and i am still mining eth with same hashrate from 6 months ago, i am using windows and also old nVidia drivers

2016 GPU Miner
Raja_MBZ
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1505

View Profile
June 26, 2018, 11:29:18 PM

I have 18xGTX 1060 3G and i am still mining eth with same hashrate from 6 months ago, i am using windows and also old nVidia drivers

Well it's the difficulty that changes over time, not your hashrate.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: