Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:26:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Block Erupter Cube fuse MELTING!?  (Read 1530 times)
AndersAA (OP)

Activity: 216
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 01:03:54 AM

Hi Guys,
I just noticed something rather troubling. The plastic part of the fuse on my Cube is literally melting... It's now pointing downward in a 45+ degree angle :/
Shouldn't the fuse blow before becoming hot enough to melt the plastic?

It's been running on high clock for a while but I haven't noticed it seeming hot to touch, but I suppose the wiring is ahelluva lot hotter than the case.

Should I replace the 30A fuse with a 40A or just a new 30A and try to get better ambient cooling(current ambient temp = 23c)? It's just a regular flat car fuse right?
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 01:26:16 AM

Hi Guys,
I just noticed something rather troubling. The plastic part of the fuse on my Cube is literally melting... It's now pointing downward in a 45+ degree angle :/

It's been running on high clock for a while but I haven't noticed it seeming hot to touch, but I suppose the wiring is ahelluva lot hotter than the case.

Should I replace the 30A fuse with a 40A or just a new 30A and try to get better ambient cooling(current ambient temp = 23c)? It's just a regular flat car fuse right?

Replace and get better cooling.
TKeenan

Activity: 874
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 05:09:24 PM

No problem.  Just take the fuse out.  Roll up some aluminum foil into a shape which bridges the poles.  Remove all plastic bits.  Don't worry if it runs a little hot - at least it won't melt this time.
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 06:35:50 PM

The fuse wasn't in correctly, so the high resistance in the connection heats up the legs.  They're just normal automotive blade fuses, just get another one and it might have a better connection.  A box of 10 is about £2.
AndersAA (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 06:45:30 PM

The fuse wasn't in correctly, so the high resistance in the connection heats up the legs.  They're just normal automotive blade fuses, just get another one and it might have a better connection.  A box of 10 is about £2.

Thanks Smiley Did exactly that earlier today - and you were spot on with the price Smiley
Let's hope it was indeed a bad connection and I don't have to replace them every week.
BryanK

Activity: 812
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 08:14:05 PM

Definitely not cooling properly. Get some fans up in there~! Smiley
AndersAA (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 09:28:49 PM

Definitely not cooling properly. Get some fans up in there~! Smiley

I built a rack today set up so it sucks in 3-5c degree air from the outside. That should more than do the trick until we hit summer Smiley
And it also has a spot ready for my Ant coming in Monday Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: