Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:23:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP ! Adding GPUs and computer keeps powering down  (Read 991 times)
bitcoinmineey (OP)

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 01:47:01 AM

I am using a t5500 dell precision with this power supply http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Dell-Precision-Workstation-Compatible/dp/B0097DON18

I have it up and running with 2 7850's but when I try to add 2 more it powers down immedietly when cgminer is started, I have 3 on powered risers and one on unpowered riser, the molex connector coming from the PSU is connected to a 3 way splitter powering the risers and 2 sata connectors are converted to 6 pin connectors to plug into the gpus along with the 2 6 pins that come from the gpu powering the other 2

I am pretty sure this is a psu issue, any thoughts would really be appreciated! Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cooldgamer
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

We are the champions of the night

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2014, 02:02:31 AM

My best bet is the 3 way splitter is causing your problems.  3 cards will pull a hell of a lot more through the molex than just one can handle.

bitcoinmineey (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 02:03:14 AM

I tried it with a 2 way and with no molex same result, thanks for the response though
Gator-hex

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 02:06:06 AM

Yeah sounds like a power issue. Most likely your PSU cannot provide enough power on the 12v rail or has multiple power rails.

Try spreading the molex/sata to PCI-E 6-pin adapters to separate cables you're more likely to spread the load over more rails then.

Checked the specs it's got 5x 18A = 216W rails, this means you cannot have more than 216W on any wire. 3x 75W PCI-E = 225W!

glendall
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1018

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 02:22:09 AM

I'd recommend buying a heavy duty, quality power supply, like my Seasonic 1100W

It is totally worth the bigger up front costs for three reasons off the of my head:

1) you wouldn't have this problem, and you'd have room to expand
2) the much greater power efficiency translates into $$$$ savers for miners that are going 24/7
3) feasibly the thing could last you the next decade or more. While every other compnent in your PC will be hopelessly outdated, in the year 2024 (wow is that only 10 years away, that's crazzy) your new 512gigahertz core i19  will likely still be compatible with your ancient powersupply, and because it is seasonic I think it will still work as well.

.SUGAR.
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
███████████████████████████
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
██████               ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
pontiacg5

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 02:26:40 AM

I'd recommend buying a heavy duty, quality power supply, like my Seasonic 1100W

It is totally worth the bigger up front costs for three reasons off the of my head:

1) you wouldn't have this problem, and you'd have room to expand
2) the much greater power efficiency translates into $$$$ savers for miners that are going 24/7
3) feasibly the thing could last you the next decade or more. While every other compnent in your PC will be hopelessly outdated, in the year 2024 (wow is that only 10 years away, that's crazzy) your new 512gigahertz core i19  will likely still be compatible with your ancient powersupply, and because it is seasonic I think it will still work as well.
4) The mess of molex to PCI-e power plug adapters doesn't burn your home to the ground.

It's a multi rail supply, with a lot of rails. This is most certainly your problem.

Please, know what you are doing before you do it. Daisy chaining adapters like that will overheat individual wires, and that is what causes fires.

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
bitcoinmineey (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 02:49:10 AM

Ok im gonna get a new power supply, which would you guys recommend to power 5 7850's, I think they have 125w each
cooldgamer
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

We are the champions of the night

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2014, 02:49:49 PM

I'd go for two of http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Builder-Series-Watt-CX500/dp/B0092ML0MY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1391870763&sr=8-6&keywords=power+supply and a add2PSU myself.  Should only need one molex to PCIe, and will give you plenty of molexes so you won't need to use a splitter.  If you're going for power efficiency then you might want to go with a single gold instead, but judging by the fact that you were using a non-certified Dell PSU, that doesn't matter too much to you Tongue

http://www.add2psu.com/store/

bitcoinmineey (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 07:24:46 PM

Can I use this http://www.amazon.com/Vantacor-Dual-Adapter-Cable-2-way/dp/B00DL3L2J6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391887461&sr=8-1&keywords=psu+splitter instead of the add 2 psu
hyperionx

Activity: 15

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 08:43:22 PM

http://www.overclock.net/t/96712/how-to-jump-start-a-power-supply-psu-test-a-power-supply-and-components
This works just as well as the add2psu if youre keeping your pc on all the time.

For 5 7850's I'd just get a good quality (seasonic,corsair,?) 850w psu (SINGLE RAIL). Should be enough unless your cpu/periph. situation draws too much.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: