Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:08:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm planning to write a book about Bitcoin, any ideas?  (Read 3914 times)
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 25, 2011, 12:09:14 AM

Do not forget to thank me and satoshi in the credits.
  What is your contribution?

"She"'s one of the best scammers, so one of the only ones making money from BTC.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
zhoutong (OP)
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2011, 03:20:06 AM

Judging by your posting history, it will be 300 pages of Bitcoinica plugs ? I haven't seen any insightful posts from you on the topic of Bitcoin, so I really have to ask what do you think qualifies you to explain the concept to others ?

Why do I must qualify something to contribute? I don't have the habit to post on forums. Posting about Bitcoinica is because that's the only way I can keep connected to my clients.

I prefer writing a book and let people calm down and enjoy. I don't want to argue with trolls just to gain the qualification.

I'm not asking you for anything, why do I need qualification?

Before I launched Bitcoinica, I was not qualified to build a trading platform that the big guys can't deliver in months?

I

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

Donations for my future Bitcoin projects: 19Uk3tiD5XkBcmHyQYhJxp9QHoub7RosVb
deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
September 25, 2011, 03:28:07 AM

Judging by your posting history, it will be 300 pages of Bitcoinica plugs ? I haven't seen any insightful posts from you on the topic of Bitcoin, so I really have to ask what do you think qualifies you to explain the concept to others ?

Why do I must qualify something to contribute? I don't have the habit to post on forums. Posting about Bitcoinica is because that's the only way I can keep connected to my clients.

I prefer writing a book and let people calm down and enjoy. I don't want to argue with trolls just to gain the qualification.

Before I launched Bitcoinica, I was not qualified to build a trading platform that the big guys can't deliver in months?

I

If you're going to write a book sentences like that can't happen, I'm not saying you're not qualified, the only way you get qualified is by doing things, but if you're going to write a book about bitcoin the book is either going to be a failure or a book by you AND the bitcoin community, betabooks is going to keep you from getting off the ground 20 dollars to help write a book and be uncredited? let me say... no. You need input from other buisness ventures on the forums and otherwise, developers who've written the client(s) people who've made custom mining hardware people trying to get the word out and judging by the way you're starting off i don't think you're going to get very much of it.

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
BubbleBoy

Activity: 504

View Profile
September 25, 2011, 08:45:24 AM

By all means you are free to contribute all you want, and you don't have to prove anything to me or the community. A good book is a proof in itself.
However you must realize you do need to be qualified in the subject at hand before you can expect to produce a good book. You can't make it up as you go along. Otherwise it's an exercise in futility, time better spent fixing the consistency problems of your database before you suffer the fate of bitomat.pl and the like. Take it as a friendly advice - you achieved much more than the average troll on these forums, better consolidate your position and do one thing right, than diversify into a myriad of flaky activities.

████
              ▄▄████▄▄
          ▄▄████████████▄▄
       ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄
     ▄████▀▀            ▀▀████▄
   ▄████▀                  ▀████▄
  ▐███▀                      ▀███▌
 ▐███▀   ████▄  ████  ▄████   ▀███▌
 ████    █████▄ ████ ▄█████    ████
▐███▌    ██████▄████▄██████    ▐███▌
████     ██████████████████     ████
████     ████ ████████ ████     ████
████     ████  ██████  ████     ████
▐███▌    ████   ████   ████    ▐███▌
 ████    ████   ████   ████    ████
 ▐███▄   ████   ████   ████   ▄███▌
  ▐███▄                      ▄███▌
   ▀████▄                  ▄████▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
          ▀▀████████████▀▀
              ▀▀████▀▀
                ████
MIDEX
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂ GET TOKENS ▂▂▂▂
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
BLOCKCHAIN BASED FINANCIAL PLATFORM                                # WEB ANN + Bounty <
with Licensed Exchange approved by Swiss Bankers and Lawyers           > Telegram Facebook Twitter Blog #
Maria

Activity: 832

View Profile
September 25, 2011, 12:35:07 PM

"She"'s one of the best scammers, so one of the only ones making money from BTC.

Idiot. IQ must be around 65.

Maria.

fivebells

View Profile
September 25, 2011, 01:29:36 PM

Heh.  Very convincing comeback!
zhoutong (OP)
VIP

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2011, 01:46:56 PM

By all means you are free to contribute all you want, and you don't have to prove anything to me or the community. A good book is a proof in itself.
However you must realize you do need to be qualified in the subject at hand before you can expect to produce a good book. You can't make it up as you go along. Otherwise it's an exercise in futility, time better spent fixing the consistency problems of your database before you suffer the fate of bitomat.pl and the like. Take it as a friendly advice - you achieved much more than the average troll on these forums, better consolidate your position and do one thing right, than diversify into a myriad of flaky activities.

Thank you. I just want to find a comfortable way to contribute. I will definitely publish chapters of chapters of work on this forum and enable discussion, and take the points of other commenters can credit them accordingly. It's just that I don't have the time and space to consolidate what I know about Bitcoin. (I do chat with many members in this forum on Skype, about the market, economics, political implications and even philosophy, so don't worry, I'm not that kind of person who doesn't know anything but wants to do everything.)

I choose to write a book because I can't concentrate on coding all the time (it's highly stressful). Doing something else can help me relax a bit, and reduce probability of making mistakes in my code as well.

I won't be the only author, I guess. At least I have a friend to help me proofread. (He's quite established in the forum.)

That said, big things at Bitcoinica will come along. Thank you for your suggestion!

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2011, 01:50:50 PM
Last edit: September 25, 2011, 05:46:10 PM by paraipanakos

Maria.

can you pls talk bout ppl's IQ in another thread, you obviously made a joke and no one got it

@zhoutong good ideea with the book but do read all you can about the btc protocol and all related parts not to make the same mistakes that news and blog writers do too often, i think this is the community biggest fear. Like a poster before me said it's better to have your book structured from "outside to inside" to get get an uneducated person's attention without boring him with details right from the start.

I would love to review as you write, and if you decide to follow some community suggestions I think it would be an unique experience for us and an honor to collaborate in such a new manner. Looking at it this way, I think you're doing history here, it was never done, have the public help the writer, write a book for them Smiley . Wish you luck with the project.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
zhoutong (OP)
VIP

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2011, 02:00:39 PM

I

If you're going to write a book sentences like that can't happen, I'm not saying you're not qualified, the only way you get qualified is by doing things, but if you're going to write a book about bitcoin the book is either going to be a failure or a book by you AND the bitcoin community, betabooks is going to keep you from getting off the ground 20 dollars to help write a book and be uncredited? let me say... no. You need input from other buisness ventures on the forums and otherwise, developers who've written the client(s) people who've made custom mining hardware people trying to get the word out and judging by the way you're starting off i don't think you're going to get very much of it.

You're right. Bitcoin is an open community that accepts new ideas.

However, every needs a start. The difficulty of "joining the conversation" is keeping many newbies out of the real Bitcoin community.

I want a revolutionary way that helps them to understand the basics about Bitcoin *all at once*, instead of keeping ask questions that no one wish to answer. I'm helping them to find answers themselves. That's why it's a book, not a blog or forum post.

I will credit those who help, but the nature of my work doesn't require much of collaboration within the community. Because they are going to find their own answers anyway. I don't have to teach them how to build a mining rig or Bitcoin exchange, I just have to let them understand why Bitcoin is an idea worth spreading, and how Bitcoin works to solve some of our banking problems - these are personal understanding and general knowledge, not necessarily experience of many other people.

I'm not qualified professionally I admit, but I do have a wide scope of understanding - I think the community needs someone who knows Bitcoin fairly well in different perspectives (philosophical, economic, financial, cryptographic and political) to give the project a start. There may be experts around, but most likely they are not that newbie-friendly. Potential Bitcoiners are curious, but unfortunately some of our forum members are destroying their curiosity - we need to know what they want to know, before they lose their interest.

This book project should more practically a personal project. We have Bitcoin Wiki that every can contribute, but again, it's not that newbie-friendly. That's why I'm asking for ideas and feedback, not actual contribution on the content. I will do thorough research before claiming anything in the book, and I will publish some content (especially more controversial parts) on the Internet to generate comments and debates - and I will credit anyone who has ever helped.

Thank you for your feedback!

zhoutong (OP)
VIP

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2011, 02:11:38 PM

Maria.

can you pls talk bout ppl's IQ in another thread, you obviously made a joke and no one got it

@zhoutong good ideea with the book but do read all you can about the btc protocol and all related parts not to make the same mistakes that news and blog writers do too often, i think this is the community biggest fear. Like a poster before me said it's better to have your book structured from "outside to inside" to get get an uneducated person's attention without boring him with details right from the start.

I would love to review as you write, and if you decide to follow some community suggestions I think it would be an unique experience for us and an honor to collaborate in such a new manner. Looking at it this way, I think you're doing history here, it was never done, have the public help the writer write a book for them Smiley . Wish you luck with the project.

Thank you!

Yes, I'm an Economics student, and I'm also a Rails developer, a trading enthusiast and a Libertarian Anarchist. I'm never like a journalist. I worry more about the boredom when I talk about too many things rather than the lack of scope of understanding.

If I finally decide to start the first page, I will start the Beta Book program after I have completed at least 50%. (Copyright license hasn't been decided yet, but it may be proprietary if the publisher requires so.) I'm not sure about the price, but I'm thinking about 5-8 BTC for the beta book which will include the final paperback edition. (Reviewers get the same price, but can access to the content earlier.) The price will only be used to offset the cost of publishing and some of my personal expenditures related to writing the book. If there's excess, I will gather ideas from everyone about what to do with them.

One worry is about the publishing. In order to reach out to more people, a publisher may be required (like Wiley). But I'm not sure about the the details.

Anyway, I'm completely open to the idea of open sourcing the book and making it freely available if publishing is an issue.

Etlase2

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 25, 2011, 02:42:07 PM

Fiat vs Crypto (Centralized vs Decentralized)

Might want to expand your definition of what fiat is

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2011, 05:20:50 PM

Thank you. I just want to find a comfortable way to contribute. I will definitely publish chapters of chapters of work on this forum and enable discussion, and take the points of other commenters can credit them accordingly. It's just that I don't have the time and space to consolidate what I know about Bitcoin. (I do chat with many members in this forum on Skype, about the market, economics, political implications and even philosophy, so don't worry, I'm not that kind of person who doesn't know anything but wants to do everything.)

I choose to write a book because I can't concentrate on coding all the time (it's highly stressful). Doing something else can help me relax a bit, and reduce probability of making mistakes in my code as well.

I won't be the only author, I guess. At least I have a friend to help me proofread. (He's quite established in the forum.)

That said, big things at Bitcoinica will come along. Thank you for your suggestion!

Would a simpler approach be like how Doyle Brunson structured his How I Made Over $1,000,000 Playing Poker book? Each chapter was written by an expert of their best poker game--stud, holdem, omaha, etc.

Ayo_4_Yayo

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 25, 2011, 05:59:51 PM

Here's my suggestion: don't do it!
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2011, 06:08:45 PM

Here's my suggestion: don't do it!

Here's my suggestion: Just Do It!

nhodges

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 26, 2011, 01:18:55 AM

Why not make it an open source book?

Finalize the outline and publish it on github, and let members of the community send you pull requests as additions and/or revisions. Knowledgeable Bitcoiners can comment and vote on pull requests to the master branch. Not only would this satisfy the peer review requirement you have (beta book) but it would be a cool endeavor to publish a true "peer to peer" and open-source book about a peer to peer and open-source software project.

It would also be an abstraction of version control systems that you could enjoy as a programmer. Smiley

zhoutong (OP)
VIP

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2011, 04:07:14 AM

Why not make it an open source book?

Finalize the outline and publish it on github, and let members of the community send you pull requests as additions and/or revisions. Knowledgeable Bitcoiners can comment and vote on pull requests to the master branch. Not only would this satisfy the peer review requirement you have (beta book) but it would be a cool endeavor to publish a true "peer to peer" and open-source book about a peer to peer and open-source software project.

It would also be an abstraction of version control systems that you could enjoy as a programmer. Smiley

That's a good idea, but as I said, we have Wiki, but it doesn't help much in terms of content quality.

Reading a book should be an enjoyable process, so appreciating the author's writing style is quite important. The reason why I won't release the book before 50% progress is that the foundation must be good enough, with careful content design.

The best stuff (books or software) is almost always proprietary. Most open source projects are not newbie-friendly either.

I don't think we need initiators for.different kinds of projects that much, instead, we need people like Satoshi who can do a big thing on their own elegantly.

Alex Thornton

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 26, 2011, 06:28:04 AM

zhoutong, just to let you know I am currently working on a Bitcoin book that I will also be publishing as an ebook soon.

This shouldn't stop you from writing your own book as our books will definitely be different. There are a half-dozen books on Starbucks, for example. Each of them is unique.

From your outline, it looks like you are focusing on the technical and philosophical aspects of Bitcoin. I focus more on the business aspects. The more information out there on Bitcoin the better.

Good luck.
fivebells

View Profile
September 26, 2011, 10:27:38 AM

Do you have an outline you could share with us, Alex?
zhoutong (OP)
VIP

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2011, 10:51:31 AM

zhoutong, just to let you know I am currently working on a Bitcoin book that I will also be publishing as an ebook soon.

This shouldn't stop you from writing your own book as our books will definitely be different. There are a half-dozen books on Starbucks, for example. Each of them is unique.

From your outline, it looks like you are focusing on the technical and philosophical aspects of Bitcoin. I focus more on the business aspects. The more information out there on Bitcoin the better.

Good luck.

Thank you for letting me know. I knew that someone else could be doing the similar things.

I'm not exactly focusing on technical and philosophical aspects, basically the purpose of the book is to introduce Bitcoin to newbies, and present the revolutionary currency to them in an interesting way. If you want to target existing Bitcoin users, business will be a great way to go - Bitcoin needs more entrepreneurs. Either way is perfectly fine.

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2011, 10:52:53 AM

Fiat vs Crypto (Centralized vs Decentralized)

Might want to expand your definition of what fiat is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx16a72j__8&feature=player_embedded

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: