Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:04:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How long does a 280X dual-x oc last running at 81-85 degrees?  (Read 3565 times)
sameev29 (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 10:37:26 AM
Last edit: February 12, 2014, 08:03:39 AM by sameev29

I have a sapphire 280X dual-x.Its been over a month since I am using it.But now that summer is arriving temperature is starting to rise.

I even lowered the gpu clock and mem-clock.Now at 690khash(down from 725+) I am getting 80 degrees.Summer's heat hasnt fully began yet.Temperature then will be more.

So if I run the card at 82-85 degree celcius how long might it last any idea?
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 12:53:26 PM

Not long. What's the VRM temperature? What's the fan speed?

See "Sensors" on GPu-z

Undervolt and otherwise optimize your videocard. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=435438.msg4849281#msg4849281

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
mac-coin

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 03:42:28 PM

Does it really matter if it's still under warranty?
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 07:36:39 PM

74C is fine. I wouldn't worry until you start hitting >80C.

Also, don't be afraid to bump your fan speed up. Burning out a $5 fan by running it at 100% is a lot cheaper than burning out a $400 GPU by roasting it. Know what I mean?

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
MoneyMorpheus

Activity: 251
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2014, 08:21:04 PM

Be carefull, dual-x don't have vrm temperature sensors, and these get hot. Check the back of the card, if you start seeing some white traces over the pcb, specially near the psu power connection and the caps, it means vrms are overheating. At stock voltage vrms when gpu is 80c should be around 120 C. It looks like you are undervolting in gpu-z, if so you shouldn't have a problem at 80 C. I wouldn't go much further though with dual-x. Stock voltage at 85 C for a long time may fry some caps near the vrm.

I'm using them in summertime atm, ambient temp 35-45 C, open case 80mm apart from each other and 80mm coolers in between them to renew the air. They are all at 85% fan. They never go over 75 C this way, on cool days they are at 65 C. Perhaps you should work a bit on your frame to get it to run cooler.

As for the warranty, if you fry it due to vrm overheating they should replace it. Don't say you used them for mining, tell them you where doing render and after some hours of processing the card blew.

Best altcoin exchange: https://vircurex.com/welcome/index?referral_id=241-35101
https://bter.com/signup/121418 | You may run into issues some time, but support will take care of you threw qq in chinese hours
1EGoA5LMV391Psf8ZHShTkTd3tQ6URKQEp
MoneyMorpheus

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2014, 06:35:52 AM

Be carefull, dual-x don't have vrm temperature sensors, and these get hot. Check the back of the card, if you start seeing some white traces over the pcb, specially near the psu power connection and the caps, it means vrms are overheating. At stock voltage vrms when gpu is 80c should be around 120 C. It looks like you are undervolting in gpu-z, if so you shouldn't have a problem at 80 C. I wouldn't go much further though with dual-x. Stock voltage at 85 C for a long time may fry some caps near the vrm.

I'm using them in summertime atm, ambient temp 35-45 C, open case 80mm apart from each other and 80mm coolers in between them to renew the air. They are all at 85% fan. They never go over 75 C this way, on cool days they are at 65 C. Perhaps you should work a bit on your frame to get it to run cooler.

As for the warranty, if you fry it due to vrm overheating they should replace it. Don't say you used them for mining, tell them you where doing render and after some hours of processing the card blew.

I didnt change anything of voltage settings.Its at stock.

My fans are at 75% now.You are running at 85,is it safe?

Also I am getting a good usb fan in a few days.

I haven't had a fan fail on me yet, and got 5 dual-x running at that speed for almost two months.

To undervolt download sapphire trixx, tick force constant voltage in the configuration and drop it to 1175. That is a safe voltage and that plus the extra 10% fan will make them run a few C's lower. If you want to undervolt further do it at small steps and test for stability each time.

https://bter.com/signup/121418 | You may run into issues some time, but support will take care of you threw qq in chinese hours
MoneyMorpheus

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2014, 07:29:25 AM

Well that will help. I have 220 as well here. If you are not going to uv you will need to separate the cards with risers too keep the temps down.

MoneyMorpheus

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2014, 06:42:01 PM

Well that will help. I have 220 as well here. If you are not going to uv you will need to separate the cards with risers too keep the temps down.

Of course riser cable must be used,otherwise heat will go enormous.Can I get the temperature like 10 degrees lower using a good usb fan?

It depends mainly on how apart are the cards from each other. I placed them 80mm apart because I have several 80mm coolers from old office psu's that malfunctioned over the years. So almost all the air that the gpu cooler absorbs is fresh air from the 80mm coolers. You may get 10 degrees less with a fan, but it all depends on how you place it  Wink

MoneyMorpheus

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2014, 07:12:04 PM

Well I can't say for sure which one is the best, since in my country we have a very limited supply of gpus. I only know from what I read. You may want to look for the sapphire 280x toxic, there was an asus I read good stuff about as well. Beyond that I don't know, you should look for each model you are able to get and read what issues people using that card have.

Eastwind

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 09:55:56 AM

I didnt change anything of voltage settings.Its at stock.

My fans are at 75% now.You are running at 85,is it safe?

Also I am getting a good usb fan in a few days.

I haven't had a fan fail on me yet, and got 5 dual-x running at that speed for almost two months.

To undervolt download sapphire trixx, tick force constant voltage in the configuration and drop it to 1175. That is a safe voltage and that plus the extra 10% fan will make them run a few C's lower. If you want to undervolt further do it at small steps and test for stability each time.

My 7970 DualX works at core/memory =1000/1500MHz, with core/memory = 1.075/1.5V, the temperature is 70C. I use MSI afterburner. My DualX has VRM monitor.
yannis7777

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 09:57:50 AM

If it is under warranty I would go ahead. Mine runs at 77-80 too.

DOGE: DDsZd5Ekyz95ndodQZpChpspR2PstTdNQY
N[e]wBie

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 01:42:59 PM

I hope thats a fine temperature because I can't get any of my 280x cards below 77-83

BTC: 1ESZr887vTZqYtDuwwspn1jBaoRU9jMcv1
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: