Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:53:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dex or Cex  (Read 129 times)
geterod (OP)

Activity: 197
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2018, 01:46:19 PM
Last edit: June 27, 2018, 03:03:43 PM by geterod

The title of this topic may seem a little incoherently recitative at first, but those connected with cryptoworld know this problem far too well.

• how and why CEX (centralized crypto-exchanges, such as Binance and Coincheck) became a part of decentralization holy grail - blockchain and cryptocurrencies
  • why DEX (decentralized projects - AirSwap, KyberNetwork) are still not widely used in the cryptoworld.

I prepared the article below to start a discussion about cex and dex, because the problems is quite serious and i haven't found the normal answer for it

To begin with, even if take note of how rapid the development of the present world is, the world of crypto is still very young. Such “out of nowhere” outburst caused a so-called "childhood disease": the market is huge and continues to grow but the problems that should have been solved in the early stages of development haven’t gone anywhere (just like you can die from a simple chickenpox if you get it later in life instead of your childhood). This means all the well proven in retrograde stock markets mechanisms migrated to the cryptoworld; centralized crypto exchanges mushroomed, yet blockchain stil does not have even close the amount of rules traditional economy has, hence the fraud, manipulation of currency rates, hacker attacks and other attributes of the digital "wild west". Thus, at the initial stage of crypto development all the centralized exchanges were justified: the market "exploded" and traders simply forgot about many important points that surfaced later.
For those preferring to stay completely anonymous, CEX proposes another problem called KYC (or the "know your customer" principle). Not taking legal and moral aspects into consideration, let's just say that classical structures such as Binance, Bittrex, Bitfinex, Okex, Poloniex, Kraken, Hitbtc already faced a problem of customer verification. Being under governmental pressure, they urge to know who you are and where your money come from. That's not news for the Fiat-world as everyone is already used to it, though it did temporarily postpone the creation of a tax-free crypto, where temporarily sounds more like forever. It would be quite naive to think that officials will close their eyes to rapidly growing digital assets.
    Moreover, living in the Fiat-world, we use it daily one way or another (including crypto purchases). Therefore, good or bad, rules are rules, and they should be respected.
Everyone understands that state authorities want to control crypto market, but it is an explicitly difficult technical task, except maybe if the do so through the one indispensable attribute of any market - a trading and intermediary platform or centralized exchanges in our case.

To sum it all up, here is a list of the main CEX shortcomings:

• In reality, crypto-active assets are usually stored on the exchange itself, putting them under a great risk of fraud, abduction, etc. (examples of such crimes appear daily)
  • The existence of "centre" allows to manipulate the rates, as it happened with some FX-platforms. In other words, you may not be allowed to "win".
  • Both administrative and financial centres depend strongly state political decisions. The funds can be frozen (as in Poloniex's case) and exchange suspended or shut down altogether (remember Binance relocation to Malta)
  • CEX user verification is inevitable.
  • That being said, the government most likely, will not ensure "security" for crypto-active assets (as is the case with banks and stock markets), believing that this is not their business and doing so rightly.

You might say: Okay but why then decentralized cryptographic exchanges (DEX) still have not driven CEX-whales out of the market? And which problems can they solve?
Here is where we face another reinforced concrete laws, this time in a form of cause-and-effect relationship. In order to function on a large-scale, exchanges require liquidity, but without mass - there is no liquidity. So what's does it make it: a Möbius strip, a dead end? Not really. DEX, for example, can negotiate a partnership with financial giants like Goldman Sachs, Merrill Lynch, JPMorgan to provide assortment and volume of applications to the site (for a negotiated reward). An excellent example to ensure new technologies operability by using your resources.

The second key issue is blockchain scalability. Even the crypto world's brightest minds couldn't fully solve the problem and as a consequence, transaction speed decreases with network growth. Idex, Binance, Huobi are working on this, Binance and Huobi are investing $ 100 million each to build their own blockchain. And we...We wait!

The third obstacle in the way of DEX integration is Fiat's limited use for transactions. This is what's rightfully called a reverse of the medal: not using KYC will get you paying for everything. All transactions must be carried out in some cryptocurrency. Although the Waves project solved half of the problem or did it fully but in their own way: if you want to work with Fiat, you have to get verified, but if you want to remain anonymous, it's your rightful choice to do so.

Now get ready for the punchline. The openness of the platforms and their source code inflicts a neverending curse of the need to constantly be ahead of the game. Any bot is able to track applications and offer miners greater rewards for verifying its transaction, gaining an advantage over other traders. This concerns blockchain as a whole with DEX as the main scapegoat. Oh, yes, almost forgot, Kyber and Paradex have already proposed solutions to this problem.

Much like everyone else traders quickly get used to good, but in case with decentralized platform margin trading, stops, limits and other "shenanigans" will have to be forgotten leaving the bare minimum of functions.

Either way, decentralized sites exist and work just fine. Github has recently uploaded«inDEX» - the longest list of projects worthy of attention. Yes, they also have a number of shortcomings, but the industry's development speed allows to think that these problems are rather temporary.
Both types of crypto exchanges are decentralized and not, having both advantages and disadvantages. CEO Binance might have been right predicting that hybrids are the future. They are safe and convenient for both trader and investor retaining all the advantages of DEX but allowing Crypto Currency Security Standards to be long gone and forgotten.

Though, what turn cryptocurrency development will actually take only time will tell.

MoonTrader - Next Generation Trading Platform

Contact us on Telegram.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
onnz423

Activity: 840
Merit: 508

Make winning bets on sports with Sportsbet.io!

View Profile
June 27, 2018, 03:52:24 PM

Decentralized exchanges just have low volume, otherwise they would completely smash centralised ones, which would be perfect as they tend to get hacked on a regular basis. That being said, I truly believe that the first solution to incorporate an automated matching system with a well known, well used decentralized exchange will take over the market.

▄▄██████▄▄
  ████████████
███▄▄
 ██████████████▀▀▀██▄
████████████████   ▀██▄
████████████████     ▀██
██████████████       ██▌
██████████████        ▐██
██▌▀▀██████▀▀         ▐██
▐██                   ██▌
 ██▄                 ▄██
  ▀██▄             ▄██▀
    ▀██▄▄▄     ▄▄▄██▀
      ▀▀█████████▀▀

███████████████████████████
████████▀▀       ▀▀████████
█████▀   ▄ ▀███▀ ▄   ▀█████
████  ▄████▄ ▀ ▄████▄  ████
███  ▄ ▀███▀ ▄ ▀███▀ ▄  ███
██  ▄██ ▀▀ ▄███▄ ▀▀ ██▄  ██
██  █▀ ▄█ ███████ █▄ ▀█  ██
██   ▄███▄ █████ ▄███▄   ██
███  ████▀ ▄▄▄▄▄ ▀████  ███
████  ▀ ▄ ▀█████▀ ▄ ▀  ████
█████▄  ▀▀▄ ███ ▄▀▀  ▄█████
████████▄▄       ▄▄████████
███████████████████████████

█▀▀

█▄▄
▀▀█

▄▄█
█▀▀

█▄▄
▀▀█

▄▄█
spopovss

Activity: 672
Merit: 100

https://paynote.eu

View Profile
June 27, 2018, 04:03:59 PM

I think Decentralized exchanges have a good future, but so far the popularity is small, I like IDEX. I do not like etherdelta and forkdelta.
CEX is very popular right now.

El mejor intercambio de criptomonedas https://paynote.eu/
khufuking

Activity: 840
Merit: 266

View Profile
June 27, 2018, 04:34:03 PM

Even tho you have got in really good detail about DEX vs CEX, you did not put you hand on the main reason why DEX is not widely use and spread until now, first of all let me tell you the liquidity is not the real reason, if you was here during the rise of etherdelta you would have know that this exchange managed to attract huge liquidity and there was millions traded there daily, but because of the nature of the DEX exchanges they have to rely on other blockchain like Ethereum, which was the reason for there fall, during the golden time last year Ethereum reach ATH $1400 and the Ethereum network got clocked due to the amount of transfers, you can guess how that effected etherdelta and similar exchanges : 1- crazy fees 2- abandoned transfers 3- Etherdelta smart contract got stuck  and couldn't handle the amount of TX 4- I remember I was in Etherdelta support channel and there was people screaming and every where and people lost huge amount of money in fees and TX that never happened , I can keep on and on but I guess you get the picture. Until this moment I did not used any DEX again only one time and I was in a situation that I had too . I did not mention how it is almost impossible for small trader to use DEX due high fees, ya I know we have no high fee now but when ever market start to move fees become crazy high.

As long as DEX will keep there current model they will be far from being ready to dominate CEX exchanges .
Yudhisthir

Activity: 1038
Merit: 103

View Profile
June 27, 2018, 04:37:28 PM

In my opinion, we need something in the middle. Dex as of current time are just a waste of transaction fees as every order goes through at least 4 transaction, a example of exchanging an ethereum token. Centralized coins do that all in ledger than in real saving the transaction fees and reducing the network congestion but user have no hold of their private keys.
siddartha1492

Activity: 952
Merit: 284

In love with Bitcoin!! 💓💕

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2018, 05:20:59 PM

That's a noteworthy summary of DEX vs. CEX, a long time debate in crypto world. Personally I think pure traders like to trade on CEX as there is more volume and they can benefit from limits and the orders get filled pretty quickly, even for low volume pairs. I have used DEX like Bitshares and the orders keep hanging in there even if you just take the listed orders. I guess CEX will be used for a long time. Binance is certainly making a hybrid exchange and we can expect things to change after the launch of that exchange. But pure DEX won't exist for a long time. Though IDEX seems to be doing pretty fine!

LunaticMovement

Activity: 112
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2018, 09:52:25 PM

I think CEX is better than DEX because DEX has some lackings which CEX doesn't have such as it has narrow functionality.Also it has liquidity problem which is market .
gary_57

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 29, 2018, 11:46:46 PM

From my perspective i think Cex is more popular than Dex. Because Cex is more secure and more stable than Dex. But i believe both have the potential to doing well.
DannyMarco

Activity: 99

View Profile
June 30, 2018, 06:23:36 PM

Right now CEX is the one more popular as compared to DEX. But the margin is very narrow. That is their preference is almost neck and neck when it comes to the preferred one. If you want to know more about them or have dilemma picking out one, see the forums or reviews for further aid.
Hughes_Ryan

Activity: 364

View Profile
June 30, 2018, 06:26:33 PM

I think Decentralized exchanges have a good future, but so far the popularity is small, I like IDEX. I do not like etherdelta and forkdelta.
CEX is very popular right now.
There is information that CEX is starting their airdrop campaign. As long as the user has registered and verified the ID, CEX will donate $ 6 to each person
ivanleon

Activity: 280
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 30, 2018, 06:37:21 PM

DEX exchanges are not as popular as CEX. But things are going to make them transparent and open to checks for fraud and hacking. And for this it will be necessary to introduce decentralized technologies, even leaving some centralized elements .
SvonioneFromMangoCoinz

Activity: 663

https://streamies.io/

View Profile
June 30, 2018, 06:54:34 PM

Coinex is gradually becoming more popular than IDEX. Coinex exchanges are of great interest and use during this time. Transaction processing speed on Coinex exchange is very fast

S T R E A M I E S -  Streaming in Anonimity  -  No rules
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●●     Whitepaper Released    ●● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
DISCORD    -    BITCOINTALK    -    WEBSITE    -    EXCHANGE
GabrielBrandon

Activity: 84

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 04:51:14 AM

Right now CEX is the one more popular as compared to DEX. But the margin is very narrow. That is their preference is almost neck and neck when it comes to the preferred one. If you want to know more about them or have dilemma picking out one, see the forums or reviews for further aid.
KevenDabid

Activity: 196

View Profile
July 06, 2018, 11:52:00 AM

I think a centralised exchange is still our future. Sad
Because decentralized exchanges can face all sorts of problems, when they appear BUG, they are hard to solve.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: