Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 08:50:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Printing private keys for cold storage  (Read 702 times)
W2014 (OP)

Activity: 205
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 01:25:21 AM

I've set up an offline wallet (Armory - Ubuntu OS - offline computer) and now want to print the private keys as a backup in case my offline computer (older laptop) crashes/dies.

What type of printer can I use to be sure that the printer does not store the private key data? Which type of printers should be avoided? Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated. 

VIAZ   ►   First Major Decentralized Peer-to-Peer Funding Platform on Tezos   ◄
WEBSITE | BOUNTY CAMPAIGN | WHITEPAPER | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TELEGRAM
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1347

Armory Developer

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 05:03:17 AM

Armory wallets are deterministic. You do not need to print the private keys the wallets hold, only the root keys. There is a "SecurePrint" feature with printing paper backups for that purpose.

For the paranoid kind, you can always print a few pages full of characters to overwrite the printer's cache.

W2014 (OP)

Activity: 205
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 05:12:59 AM

Armory wallets are deterministic. You do not need to print the private keys the wallets hold, only the root keys. There is a "SecurePrint" feature with printing paper backups for that purpose.

For the paranoid kind, you can always print a few pages full of characters to overwrite the printer's cache.

Great. Thanks!

VIAZ   ►   First Major Decentralized Peer-to-Peer Funding Platform on Tezos   ◄
WEBSITE | BOUNTY CAMPAIGN | WHITEPAPER | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TELEGRAM
TierNolan
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1084

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 07:11:28 PM

I think SecurePrint is because some printers store all pages that have ever been printed?

1LxbG5cKXzTwZg9mjL3gaRE835uNQEteWF
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1347

Armory Developer

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 07:52:47 PM

I think SecurePrint is because some printers store all pages that have ever been printed?

Any printer has cache, some heavy duty enterprise level printers come with a harddrive. Regardless of the printer, it is reasonable to assume some of the data you have printed may still be within the printer's memory until you override it. SecurePrint ensures that data is encrypted.

It is also useful for network printer, which require you to expose the data to print to your entire network.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: